Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 23LSV Stock setup

Ryan1776

First, is there a list compiled somewhere that has the list of every iteration of audio by year??

I don't have the boat yet so I can't touch it. But I only have 2 amps. There's 8 in-boat speakers and 4 stock tower speakers. No sub.
One is the Rockford P400x2
The other I can't see a part number on my photo. 
But it clearly looks like a 4 channel. 
So do they double tap the P400 for the tower? So it's running 2 speakers per channel? So this amp is 125wattsx2 at 4ohm, so each tower speaker is getting a whopping 62 watts? :lol:

Anyone have the model for the 4 channel? I'm assuming double tapped (if this is the correct terminology)  and half powered per speaker.
How good are the stock in boat speakers if I were to just amp up?

Thank you!

Ryan

Edited by Ryan1776

Your tower speakers are getting 100 Watts each. The amp makes 200 Watts per channel in 2 ohm when wired in parallel which yours is. Your cabin speaker amp will be Rockford 400x4 and assuming you have 8 speakers they are getting 50watts each. The factorty Rockford inboard soeakers are actually not that bad if you put a 100 Watts a piece to them. The tower speakers are not very good unless you have the wetsounds 6x9’s in them from the factory. 

AWESOME thank you.
I didn't expect the towers to be any good. And I'm sure they're not the factory Wetsounds. 
Good to know about the factory inboat speakers. I have a Polk PA 660 that I could split the speakers from that amp and have 75 to each of them. Stuff I have in stock, so no money outlay. 

Thanks again! 

On 3/18/2018 at 12:03 PM, wheelman said:

The tower speakers are not very good unless you have the wetsounds 6x9’s in them from the factory. 

How good are these? I mean I KNOW they won't be REV10's or even REV8's 

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_107097_Wet-Sounds-REV-696-RS.html

But I were to drop the bottom two cans and add a pair of these to the upper cans with the current amp, are they decent? 
I have a pair of PRO60's that I can throw into the discussion as well.

The Rev-696 is a great options to upgrade a 6x9 pod. They are very comparable to the Rev-8, but a little less mid-bass. 

And im going to throw the pro60's right back out :rofl:

Dropping a pair of 6x9 is going to be a noticeable reduction in mid-bass and near-field sound quality for 2 reasons. one, you have a loss of speaker surface area going from 2 pair down to 1 pair of 6x9. 2nd, you go from a dome tweeter to larger compression horn. 

If wake range projection is your goal, moving to an HLCD is the way to go, but unless you also up the wattage, going from four dome tweeters down to two compression horns, im not sure it will be a huge difference 80ft back.  

14 minutes ago, MLA said:

And im going to throw the pro60's right back out :rofl:

AWWWWWW!!! :blush:

The Rev-696 is a great options to upgrade a 6x9 pod. They are very comparable to the Rev-8, but a little less mid-bass.

Interesting OK. 

Dropping a pair of 6x9 is going to be a noticeable reduction in mid-bass and near-field sound quality for 2 reasons. one, you have a loss of speaker surface area going from 2 pair down to 1 pair of 6x9. 2nd, you go from a dome tweeter to larger compression horn. 

If wake range projection is your goal, moving to an HLCD is the way to go, but unless you also up the wattage, going from four dome tweeters down to two compression horns, im not sure it will be a huge difference 80ft back.  

I gotchya. It's just for the price of 4 6x9's I can get one pair of REV10's which makes far more sense to me. That's why I was asking. Unless someone has 4 they're willing to part with cheap enough. 
But I COULD up the wattage to one pair of 6x9 for pretty cheap. Polk PA660 will power them at 150 each. But doesn't the stock amp supply that? 

Yes wake projection is my END goal for sure. But I wasn't planning on doing anything with the tower audio for a year or so. 

Edited by Ryan1776
4 hours ago, wdr said:

Not a bad speaker for the money. I have replaced all of mine due to delamination on the cones.

Thank you! I'm sure they are just underpowered and will be a lot better with a 2nd amp.

Hope mine are in decent shape. 

Edited by Ryan1776

Adjusting the amps helps a lot. I still have my factory RF amps for the in boats and sub and are fine "for me". The Rev-10s kind of help to blend everything in at rest or underway. If you have the same factory HDPE sub box as I had for the M12, it is a POS! According to the RF guide, my box was literally 1/2 the recommended size for that sub and had separated on the top seam a good 1" which all but eliminated the intended design of the box. I rebuilt mine to spec's. It was a little tight to get in, but doable and well worth the time and effort.

On 3/18/2018 at 12:03 PM, wheelman said:

Your cabin speaker amp will be Rockford 400x4 and assuming you have 8 speakers they are getting 50watts each. The factorty Rockford inboard soeakers are actually not that bad if you put a 100 Watts a piece to them.

I kind of want to revisit this.

My buddy and I have been spinning around ideas on this system. I was going to upgrade to the Polks I've had in the Supra because they have a lot better sensitively. 92db vs the rocks 89db. BUT the Polks are 4ohm and the rocks are 8ohm so the measurements are skewed. When corrected for the ohm change, they're pretty damn close. 
So looking up this 400x4 rock amp.... 
50watts x 4@ 4ohm
100watts x 4 @ 2-ohm
200watts x2 @ 4-ohm bridged.

So currently as you pointed out they are ran right now with 2 speakers in parallel. 4 channels. Giving the amp a 4ohm load and in turn driving each speaker at 50 watts. 

So it would seem the BEST course of action would be to buy another rock 400x4 amp. 
Bridge the amp to two channels, each channel getting 2 speakers, seeing a 4ohm load at the amp which would in turn drive each speaker at 100watts. 
Times 2 for the other set of 4 speakers. Now each speaker is seeing 100 watts each with 2 amps. 

EDIT..... The in boats are NOT getting 50 each. Because of conservation of energy. Each speaker is getting 25watts because it's split. It's just that the impedance is matched now. 2-8ohm speakers in parallel gives 4ohm load per amp spec. 50w/2=25watts each.
No wonder these suck. 

Edited by Ryan1776

@Ryan1776

With either four or eight 4 ohm speakers wired to the rockford 400/4, the amp's output per chnl is going to net each speaker 50W rms, not 25W.  Now, is that a lot? not really, but is decent. Will the speakers handle more? Sure, but it takes 2X the wattage to make a real audible difference.

Can the system benefit from moving half the speakers off and to another 400/4? In theory, yes, but dont expect a seat of the pants change. 

You will not be able to bridge two speakers and get 100W rms to each speaker. Any way you slice it, 50W rms is what you are going to get unless you installed a 400/4 for EACH PAIR of speakers. Way better ways to skin that cat then 4 amps just to drive eight in-boats. 

2 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

I kind of want to revisit this.

My buddy and I have been spinning around ideas on this system. I was going to upgrade to the Polks I've had in the Supra because they have a lot better sensitively. 92db vs the rocks 89db. BUT the Polks are 4ohm and the rocks are 8ohm so the measurements are skewed. When corrected for the ohm change, they're pretty damn close. 
So looking up this 400x4 rock amp.... 
50watts x 4@ 4ohm
100watts x 4 @ 2-ohm
200watts x2 @ 4-ohm bridged.

So currently as you pointed out they are ran right now with 2 speakers in parallel. 4 channels. Giving the amp a 4ohm load and in turn driving each speaker at 50 watts. 

So it would seem the BEST course of action would be to buy another rock 400x4 amp. 
Bridge the amp to two channels, each channel getting 2 speakers, seeing a 4ohm load at the amp which would in turn drive each speaker at 100watts. 
Times 2 for the other set of 4 speakers. Now each speaker is seeing 100 watts each with 2 amps. 

EDIT..... The in boats are NOT getting 50 each. Because of conservation of energy. Each speaker is getting 25watts because it's split. It's just that the impedance is matched now. 2-8ohm speakers in parallel gives 4ohm load per amp spec. 50w/2=25watts each.
No wonder these suck. 

Very surprised your Rockford speakers are 8 ohms.

49 minutes ago, wheelman said:

Very surprised your Rockford speakers are 8 ohms.

wow. I don't know where google came up with it, but you're right. They are 4ohm 
Strange. My bad! Thank you! 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

With either four or eight 4 ohm speakers wired to the rockford 400/4, the amp's output per chnl is going to net each speaker 50W rms, not 25W.

Not true. If you have two speakers wired to one channel, that one channel is one driver and depending on the output of that driver (output-depending on impedance) the power output will be split in half, half to each speaker.
So when I thought these were 8ohm. Two in parallel would be 4ohm which would be 50watts per channel at 4ohm  or 50watts divided over 2 speakers. That's 25watts each. As I said, No idea where I found 8ohms. 

In this case 2-4ohm speakers connected in parallel gives a 2ohm impedance that's 100watts per channel, so that's 50watts per speaker as you described, but the power is split.  

Seeing as I can't post photos. Scroll down a little bit. Graphically displayed nicely. 
https://geoffthegreygeek.com/multiple-speakers-share-power/

8 minutes ago, wheelman said:

I think MLa missed the point you said your speakers were 8 ohm. He knows his stuff. 

OH I can tell he does. Things can be lost over forum. No offense taken or meant to be sent. 

9 minutes ago, wheelman said:

I think MLa missed the point you said your speakers were 8 ohm. He knows his stuff. 

I didnt miss the point, but was speaking to the actual equipment he has, rather then a scenario using incorrect data. 4 pair of 4 ohm speakers with 2 pair in parallel p/chnl and a 400/4 thats 50 x 4 @ 4 and 100 x 4 @ 2 ohm. 

2nd, to @Ryan1776 dont get hung up a sensitivity spec. other things to consider in a marine speakers before getting down the list to sensitivity. 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

I didnt miss the point, but was speaking to the actual equipment he has, rather then a scenario using incorrect data. 4 pair of 4 ohm speakers with 2 pair in parallel p/chnl and a 400/4 thats 50 x 4 @ 4 and 100 x 4 @ 2 ohm. 

2nd, to @Ryan1776 dont get hung up a sensitivity spec. other things to consider in a marine speakers before getting down the list to sensitivity. 

Yes, but he was doing his calculations saying he had 8 ohm speakers( that’s the part I thought you missed)So he would be right saying he would only be getting 25 Watts per speaker for 8, 8 ohm speakers with the Rockford four channel. However we know that his Rockford speakers are 4 ohms so he is really getting  50w

11 hours ago, wheelman said:

Yes, but he was doing his calculations saying he had 8 ohm speakers( that’s the part I thought you missed)So he would be right saying he would only be getting 25 Watts per speaker for 8, 8 ohm speakers with the Rockford four channel. However we know that his Rockford speakers are 4 ohms so he is really getting  50w

This! Yes. That's what I thought was missed as well. No worries really. We're all on the same page now. 

14 hours ago, MLA said:

dont get hung up a sensitivity spec. other things to consider in a marine speakers before getting down the list to sensitivity. 

Such as?