Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring Harness Options

I have a 2000 Response LX. For the last couple of years when I've taken the boat in for service the dealer has mentioned that there is some signs a rodent has chewed the wiring harness. This time they recommended replacing the entire harness but said they would have to custom build one for between 800-1600. I've never had any issues with electrical systems not working in the past so not in a rush to spend the money but I'm also not a huge fan of getting stranded with a boat that doesn't work.

Aside from a full-blown harness rebuild, would finding the chewed wires and just replacing those sections be a viable option? The dealer doesn't want to do it, because they are really a 100% factor or nothing kind of shop, but with a $13k boat, that's 18 years old, I'm not opposed to repairs that aren't perfect as long as they get the job done and are safe.

So if no failures sounds like only insulation damage so far. You should be able to isolate any damaged areas and use something like heat shrink tubing to repair individual wires and outer harness covering. Maybe splice a kitty cat to the harness as well?

I agree. I have repaired many harnesses without any problems. Complete wire harness would be a last resort for me. I understand the dealers side but if you're capable, it's not that hard to repair. Often times you just find yourself in awkward positions and it's tedious. But well worth the money saved. Honda makes a rodent repellent tape that may help keep them from coming back.

eBay there's a couple different places that sell marine wire in almost any color. Try to match the colors you are replacing. Just makes it easier in the long run and do one wire at a time.

Thanks all for the advice. I've done several stereo installs in the past so comfortable with basic wiring. I'll just go through and make the repairs.

The boat sat for a while before I owned it several years ago when I'm sure the damage happened, so should be safe from future damage.