Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Not the normal Sub question....

Ryan1776

I HOPE! :rofl:

So I'm getting a 2010 LSV. No sub. 4 tower. 8 in boat. I've never even heard this system so I have know idea how lack luster it really is. 
Let me start off by saying what I had on my Surpa Comp. 
3 Polk amps. 1-PA880  2-PA660s
WS-420 (no head unit)
1-WS 12" sub in cheap-o best buy ported box.
4-Polk 6" inboat
2-WS PRO-60s

The 880 to the sub. 500rms
One 660 to all 4 in boat 75 each
One 660 bridged to the two towers.  150each
Let me say, it sounded fantastic. I had ZERO complaints with this system. The sub rocked. The sound was clean. Great quality. Tower speakers were a little lacking when you coupled with the boat exhaust. Just too noisy. But was fine at surf distance. Barely audible at wakeboard. If I can re-create this I would be ecstatic. With the change being 1 pair of Rev10's to the tower.  (different question later date after I search some more).

Anyway. I had the box for the sub under the starboard side of the closed bow. As I've said. Just great audio to it. I don't need to knock my fillings out, but it would vibrate the water. Etc. 
I don't have enough experience to know if the location of the sub in that comparatively larger compartment of the closed bow helped, hurt or was indifferent to the sub's effectiveness. 
If I take this exact setup (sub-wise) and installed on the LSV, sub in the normal sport under the helm in the exact same box with the same power am I going to be noticeably less effective? 

I mean a speaker in a closed door room obviously doesn’t fill the adjacent room well with sound.   And obviously even if it had the door “open” to the next room, it’s still not as good as moving that speaker into the adjacent room.   Bow shape is tuned for dispersing water, which may or may not be good for reflecting sound waves.   On the other hand, obviously putting that sound into the entire hull will help transfer it to the rear of the boat along the hull and gunnels, I just don’t know if that ends up as quality bass, or just noise? Not to mention being in the closed bow with one way out for the sound waves, it was concentrated to the occupants directly in the hull. All 4 of us! 

This brings up the 2nd part of this question. I need to buy another sub amp. Moisture issue with the old one. So I thought, well I'll get the Polk PA D1000.1. That offers 800rms at 2ohm. 1200rms at 1ohm. I can turn the gain down on the amp and not overdrive the WS 12" 500rms sub. If then I find out that the sub isn't good enough, I can get the WS 12xxx monster and have the amp already lined up. 

PHEW. 
Clear as mud?

Ryan 

29 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

So I thought, well I'll get the Polk PA D1000.1. That offers 800rms at 2ohm. 1200rms at 1ohm. I can turn the gain down on the amp and not overdrive the WS 12" 500rms sub.

This really depends on if your XS-12 is 2 or 4 ohm. 

2ohm. 99.9%. Sure. 

But lets say I don't need to upgrade amp. Lets say I get the same and run it at 500...basically wondering if the space the box will reside in under the helm and the now, much larger area to "fill" if it will perform. Just based on past experiences and thoughts. 

@MLAHonest to God, now I don't know. 

But now going back on the amp specs, if it's really the 4ohm I was only at 300rms. 
So right off the bat the D1000.1 gets me 500 at 4. 
Then 800 at 2 and 1200 at 1ohm. So this seems like a no brainer. Amp will work with both subs and will automatically have more power off the bat. 

Edited by Ryan1776

Im pretty confident its a single 4 ohm. Wet Sounds has not offered anything but a 4 ohm SVC XS-12 for a number of seasons now. I think in the beginning of the sx-12, they did offer DVC. 

Either way, the D1000.1 is not a bad amp even  at 500W rms @ 4 ohm. Put the woofer in a ported enclosure ans thats a solid setup. 

There's plenty of room to do a quality ported enclosure under the helm, with minimal loss of leg room. 

13 hours ago, MLA said:

Im pretty confident its a single 4 ohm. Wet Sounds has not offered anything but a 4 ohm SVC XS-12 for a number of seasons now. I think in the beginning of the sx-12, they did offer DVC. 

Either way, the D1000.1 is not a bad amp even  at 500W rms @ 4 ohm. Put the woofer in a ported enclosure ans thats a solid setup. 

There's plenty of room to do a quality ported enclosure under the helm, with minimal loss of leg room.

Yeah you're absolutely right. I can't believe this whole time I was thinking I was running 500 and was only at 3. HA. Well that should certainly help out any loss due to "room" size I was concerned about. 
Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it!