Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Great Compromise of 2018... Ski and surf review added!

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, IXFE said:

@ahopkinsVTX

Now that you have some hours on your boat, tell us how you like the new drivers seat.  I think you might be the only guy on TMC with an informed view here.  

I love it. I’m happy I went with the swivel option still for cruising but it’s so nice to just be able to swing your legs in and out even with the swivel locked. It’s also very comfy. Backrest is taller which really helps me and the angle of it is good. 

7 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I love it. I’m happy I went with the swivel option still for cruising but it’s so nice to just be able to swing your legs in and out even with the swivel locked. It’s also very comfy. Backrest is taller which really helps me and the angle of it is good. 

The new drivers seat looks really nice.  It’s a little upsetting that Malibu is starting to nickel and dime customers by charging close to $500 for the swivel seat this year. I don’t know why anyone would ever order a boat without the swivel.  Just seems like they are pulling a page out of the Mastercraft book on this one. 

7 minutes ago, SCMike said:

The new drivers seat looks really nice.  It’s a little upsetting that Malibu is starting to nickel and dime customers by charging close to $500 for the swivel seat this year. I don’t know why anyone would ever order a boat without the swivel.  Just seems like they are pulling a page out of the Mastercraft book on this one. 

I demoed a 2019 T22 today with the new seat and I could pass on the swivel now that you can turn sideways without turning the seat. But my wife got spoiled with the power seat and that requires the swivel option to be selected.

Speaking of MCFT, that was up 16% today so something’s working with their pricing model.

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, SCMike said:

It’s not anywhere near $500 after your % off msrp is factored in. I get how it can look annoying on paper but whatever. What is another 300 at the end of the day. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It’s not anywhere near $500 after your % off msrp is factored in. I get how it can look annoying on paper but whatever. What is another 300 at the end of the day. 

Totally, but tack that on the the mandatory surfpipe, and you are now at $1300 before discount for options you weren’t paying for last year.  The little stuff does start to add up, and If they continue this strategy, who knows what we will be paying for next year. The $300 for the seat swivel won’t make or break a deal, it’s just more annoying than anything.  

Edited by SCMike
ahopkins22LSV
19 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Totally, but tack that on the the mandatory surfpipe, and you are now at $1300 before discount for options you weren’t paying for last year.  The little stuff does start to add up, and If they continue this strategy, who knows what we will be paying for next year. The $300 for the seat swivel won’t make or break a deal, it’s just more annoying than anything.  

I agree. But did you get surf pipe on your 18? If no I understand the that thought process. But it’s well worth the money.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I agree. But did you get surf pipe on your 18? If no I understand the that thought process. But it’s well worth the money.

No, I didn’t. 

On 9/8/2018 at 1:04 AM, SCMike said:

Take a look at it and compare it to the other seat.

Quite a bit more labor and materials involved in it.

• 2 months later...
ahopkins22LSV

I thought I’d post this video of my friend skiing behind our boat a few weeks ago. It was a balmy November day in Michigan. He has fisted top 3 in the state and regionals the last few years. This year he finished second at regionals. He was very impressed with the Ski wake and said -35 off was just as good as the response. 

63965383-006D-4D68-9E81-9FF34538615C.thumb.jpeg.5e836cf0eb7cf8ea9969a1ac3a404bc9.jpeg

Here’s a video of him running -35 mid summer for comparison. 

I’m sorry not trying to be rude or anything but that response looks a lot smoother. Physics at work right there, by no means is yours bad it’s just not quite the same. 

Every ski boat I’ve seen has the tower back too far, it seems kinda silly. 

Maybe I’m just jealous you’re still on the water. 

ahopkins22LSV

Yeah I’m sure the response is still smoother but, I’m not putting words in his mouth, that’s what he said. I think they look pretty dang similar which is quite remarkable. And 46 degree water in November is a lot different than 75-80 degree water in June. That will make it smoother as well. 

Yeah the tower does get in the way at -35. He said he noticed it but there is really no load on the rope when the rope is touching the tower so it doesn’t throw him off at all. 

And we aren’t on the water still. Boats are all put away and ice is forming. Hopefully not too much ice so we can still get our polar bear ski in next weekend. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

@ahopkinsVTX Thanks for posting the videos.  I’m heading out tomorrow, fingers crossed, to burn off some turkey calories.  Are you filling the front ballast while skiing?  I’ve been running 50% but haven’t been out enough to play around with other settings.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
28 minutes ago, AKjoe said:

@ahopkinsVTX Thanks for posting the videos.  I’m heading out tomorrow, fingers crossed, to burn off some turkey calories.  Are you filling the front ballast while skiing?  I’ve been running 50% but haven’t been out enough to play around with other settings.

We either run lead or fill the ballast. Depends on if I remember the lead or not :biggrin:

On 11/22/2018 at 11:47 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

We either run lead or fill the ballast. Depends on if I remember the lead or not :biggrin:

Reporting back...went out today to slalom, filled the front ballast and had a 200 lb friend in the observer seat.  Wake absolutely disappeared at 32.5 mph and 35’ off the rear pylon. 

In the future I may buy some lead and put it in the front storage when I don’t have someone in the observer seat.  Or I might try filling the middle ballast tank.  

Edited by AKjoe
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, AKjoe said:

Reporting back...went out today to slalom, filled the front ballast and had a 200 lb friend in the observer seat.  Wake absolutely disappeared at 32.5 mph and 35’ off the rear pylon. 

In the future I may buy some lead and put it in the front storage when I don’t have someone in the observer seat.  Or I might try filling the middle ballast tank.  

Great to hear!!

I like the lead because you can quickly level the boat if you only have two or different weighted people observing and driving. I’m not sure the center tank would help but who knows!

Edited by ahopkinsVTX