Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake Surf Help!

watson

I seem to having trouble getting just the right set up for wake surfing.

I have a 2003 Wakesetter VLX, I have tried a variety of set ups but can't seem to let go of the rope and keep surfing.

Any help would be great!

THX

I seem to having trouble getting just the right set up for wake surfing.

I have a 2003 Wakesetter VLX, I have tried a variety of set ups but can't seem to let go of the rope and keep surfing.

Any help would be great!

THX

Also, which board (how long) & your weight will be useful info also.

No extra weight? You need some VAB to get the party started...

VAB?

VAB = papa bear type friends ;)

so i would start with another 1000 pounds and see how that does ya..300 in the front and 700 in the back...if you dont have the sacs to add the weight load up the friends and distribute the weight all along your port side (im guessing your surfing on the wrong side : ) once you see how the extra weight helps consider dropping a few bucks on sacs and pumps for when your out w a small crew

-krak

So far the best luck has been with the Wedge down and the left ballast tank full.

The board is a Hyperlite 5'6. I weight about 210lbs.

I weigh 180, and ride the same exact board behind the same exact boat with the wedge, port ballast, and midship ballast and can go ropeless. Adding another 500lb sack to the locker and one in the bow + lots of people and the wake is awesome! Dgoose can give you even better info cause he has a killer wake on his 03!

Dgoose can give you even better info cause he has a killer wake on his 03!

But Edwins advice sounds like more fun. Especially if we are talking bout the chicks in his avatar. ROFL.gif

Dgoose can give you even better info cause he has a killer wake on his 03!

But Edwins advice sounds like more fun. Especially if we are talking bout the chicks in his avatar. ROFL.gif

They were at Table Rock with me all summer...sorry we didn't get to meet up. ;)

OK...I have the same boat basically, 06 Vride and I am 6ft tall and weigh 210-215ish. I have been able to go rope-less with the following set-up: Port side rear MLS tank, two skylon fat buddies 280 lbs each, one in the port side rear compartment and one on the port side back seat, and the wedge down. I have been able to ride ropeless for short periods with this set-up with only one other person in the boat driving. I have also had a few other people out and have them sit along the port side which obviously makes the wave better but not necessarily any easier to ride ropeless for me. A lot of it is technique which I am still learning. I have had the best luck with the Yellow Loogy board from Inland Surfer....it is an awesome board...very quick and fun to ride on for doing tricks and such (still need the rope for those unfortunately!)

I have also tried the Inland Surfer Red Tide and felt it was too big although I was able to ride it ropeless a little. I would just say to get some more weight in your boat and keep trying. This past weekend was the best I have done.....it is a blast when you get it right! My friend is about 165 lbs or so and he can go ropeless for much longer than I can so far. At first I wanted to say that it was all because of his lighter weight but I think it also has a lot to do with technique. One other thing I have found that seemed to help me was looking at the port side rear corner of the boat when I am surfing instead of down at the water or the board.

By the way, if anyone is interested I purchased my fat buddies at Costco for $109.99. They are called Wakestar but are made by Skylon. As a comparison wakeside has the exact same bags for $159.99

OK...I have the same boat basically, 06 Vride and I am 6ft tall and weigh 210-215ish. I have been able to go rope-less with the following set-up: Port side rear MLS tank, two skylon fat buddies 280 lbs each, one in the port side rear compartment and one on the port side back seat, and the wedge down. I have been able to ride ropeless for short periods with this set-up with only one other person in the boat driving. I have also had a few other people out and have them sit along the port side which obviously makes the wave better but not necessarily any easier to ride ropeless for me. A lot of it is technique which I am still learning. I have had the best luck with the Yellow Loogy board from Inland Surfer....it is an awesome board...very quick and fun to ride on for doing tricks and such (still need the rope for those unfortunately!)

I have also tried the Inland Surfer Red Tide and felt it was too big although I was able to ride it ropeless a little. I would just say to get some more weight in your boat and keep trying. This past weekend was the best I have done.....it is a blast when you get it right! My friend is about 165 lbs or so and he can go ropeless for much longer than I can so far. At first I wanted to say that it was all because of his lighter weight but I think it also has a lot to do with technique. One other thing I have found that seemed to help me was looking at the port side rear corner of the boat when I am surfing instead of down at the water or the board.

By the way, if anyone is interested I purchased my fat buddies at Costco for $109.99. They are called Wakestar but are made by Skylon. As a comparison wakeside has the exact same bags for $159.99

i have an 0623lsv. we use half wedge, a 725 in the right rear locker, another 725 on the right seat, a 440 in the drivers walk through and another 440 in the bow. i can ride 20 feet back. also better boards are made by XBC. they are foam cored and way more bouyant. be sure to get a good surf rope.

What side of the old VLX/V-Ride is best for surfing? Folks say it is supposed to be the passenger side, but for some reason it never likes to form a good curl.

Also, what speed/RPMs do you get the best wake at? I seem to have to drive pretty fast (11MPH/2500RPM) to get any kind of wake. I had the boat fully loaded with like 8 people this weekend and the wake was all washy and tiny.

So far the best luck has been with the Wedge down and the left ballast tank full.

The board is a Hyperlite 5'6. I weight about 210lbs.

I also have a vRide which is the same hull as your vlx. It is possible to go ropeless with just the stock ballast and the wedge, but it's not easy and took me a month to get there. Even then I could only stay in the pocket for a minute or so. By stock I mean the rear tank (200 lbs) and the mid (500 lbs on my boat). Do you have mid ballast tank you are filling as well?

I have since pulled the hard tanks out and replaced them with 400 lbs sacs. However, it isn't enough to have just 400 lbs. on one side in the rear. Krak has it right. You need at least 700 lbs back there in water or crew. More is better. My best wake for surfing was when I had the 400 lb sac full and another 700 lbs of ballast buddies on that side of the boat in addition to the mid tank being full and a 260 lb sac in the bow.

If I don't have any VAB (voice activated ballast), I take the other 400 lb sac and a 260 and put them on the side I am surfing in addition to the other 400. So I have a total of 1060 lbs in the rear, 500 in the middle, 260 in the bow and the wedge.

I find myself wishing that I had bought the 750 lb fat sacs instead of the 400 lb vdrive sacs.

All of that will make going ropeless a whole lot easier for you. Also, remember that weight on the front foot will speed up and the back foot will slow down the surf board.

What side of the old VLX/V-Ride is best for surfing? Folks say it is supposed to be the passenger side, but for some reason it never likes to form a good curl.

Also, what speed/RPMs do you get the best wake at? I seem to have to drive pretty fast (11MPH/2500RPM) to get any kind of wake. I had the boat fully loaded with like 8 people this weekend and the wake was all washy and tiny.

I've got the same hull as the V-Ride and I've tested just about every possible way to arrange the ballast, both VAB and Static Ballast, and I believe there are a few general principles for surfing:

1. The more weight in the boat the better.

2. Not all the weight should be in the back corner.

3. Too much in the back corner makes the wave steeper & shorter

4. Weight distributed properly pushes the boat down to make the wave bigger.

5. Weight on the surf side only(the surf sling helps too) cleans the wave.

Probably more but these are the basics.

btw, 8 people and stock ballast PROPERLY positioned should be adequate and better with more sacs

Whatever side you like to surf. People can say what they will about prop spin & how the passenger side is supposed to be better, but honestly I've never been able to tell the difference on any of my boats as well as any of the other boats that I've been on that we've surfed. The difference was negligible at best. So surf the side that you like to surf & don't worry about it.

As for how fast, the slowest you can go to get a clean wake & keep the rider in the pocket is about right. You'll need to go a bit faster the more weight you use to clean it up. Example, in our setup we use stock ballast except for offside (200 in rear floor, 500 center, 350 bow), wedge, 750 in the rear surf side trunk & with that we run about 9.8-10. When we add a 500 on the surf side in the cabin I have to speed up to about 10.6 to clean it up. So it may vary depending on how much weight & where you're running it.

Whatever side you like to surf. People can say what they will about prop spin & how the passenger side is supposed to be better, but honestly I've never been able to tell the difference on any of my boats as well as any of the other boats that I've been on that we've surfed. The difference was negligible at best. So surf the side that you like to surf & don't worry about it.

As for how fast, the slowest you can go to get a clean wake & keep the rider in the pocket is about right. You'll need to go a bit faster the more weight you use to clean it up. Example, in our setup we use stock ballast except for offside (200 in rear floor, 500 center, 350 bow), wedge, 750 in the rear surf side trunk & with that we run about 9.8-10. When we add a 500 on the surf side in the cabin I have to speed up to about 10.6 to clean it up. So it may vary depending on how much weight & where you're running it.

you can also surf switch and heelside. great exercises for wakboarding

D-Goose... Help this guy out!

The last time (Labor day Weekend) I surfed with D-Goose (03 VLX) this was our set-up.

Wedge down

left Rear tank full

750 lb sac in the left rear locker

750 lb sac on the left side seat

and about 500 lb sac in the walk way

The wake is steep and fast, and will push a very large guy (Lenny, 280 lbs on a 4'9" board, ropeless)

:blush: Thanks for the kind words guys.

Woody has my set up right on but I do have to say try to put the seat sac all the way forward.

One huge thing that will change my wake is people. THEY ALL NEED TO BE ON SURF SIDE, sitting on the bag, locker front bow or if your in TX hanging from the side of the boat. If just one person is on the other side you can see the wake change. I also have a great curl on both sides. Speed is about 10-10.7mph.

Yes Lenny can ride the board ropeless if he just wants to sit in the pocket and pick his noise for hrs or drink a few Beer.gif

Most any one (sorry M-dude) can ride ropeless on a big board. You just have to figure out your balance point and how to work your gas and brake. If you look at the link J-Ro is riding ropeless, carving up and down the wake with his son on an Lf 4'6" Skimskate until his son wanted to stop. Yahoo.gif

Forgot to add. You don't have to have all that LB's to make a great surf wake. Just by adding 1, 500-700LB bag on your seat with the MLS and wedge will give you a nice clean wake that you can ride ropeless.

Put a couple 3 or 4 fat buddies in boat with you at least 2 of them on the engine hatch feet on the swim deck. Also I had the same board to learn, I found you had to stand quite a way forward on it.