Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Under trailer spare tire holder

RyanB

Anyone have one?  We do 4-5 long trips through very rural areas, often late at night or on a Sunday. 

For that reason, I’d like to add a 2nd spare tire carrier. I don’t think I could add another to the side, and would like to add an under trailer carrier that wouldn’t cause me to weld and repaint. 

Many advice?

3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Junk.  Broke 2 on my bayliner trailer which has much lighter and smaller wheels. 

That sucks. I would be hating life if it bounced up and smashed boat, or flopped all over freeway.

2 hours ago, Choiceind said:

I think Old Jeep already responded, but I believe that would mount too low if I tried under trailer.

1 hour ago, Rednucleus said:

If it's a few trips a year throw it in a tire bag and travel with it in the boat or your rig. Tire will last longer as well vs exposed to the elements.

That is what I have been doing, but would rather have a more long term/permanent option.  The boat lives in a garage when it is not at the lake, so elements are not a factor.

5 hours ago, Choiceind said:

Mine's almost 10 yrs old now & has been on the trailer for tens of thousands of miles. Never had an issue with it.

37155007512_c963b11ecf_b.jpg

When we're loaded down & heading to Shasta or Hells Canyon, the last thing I need is a spare tire under all the camping gear.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
4 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Mine's almost 10 yrs old now & has been on the trailer for tens of thousands of miles. Never had an issue with it.

When we're loaded down & heading to Shasta or Hells Canyon, the last thing I need is a spare tire under all the camping gear.

Both of the ones I had cracked right next to the vertical welds on the wheel plate. 

I used an 8" piece of Unistrut, which I put plastic heat shrink on, and two pieces of 1/2" bolt rod which has the same thread as lug nuts.  Been under there 15 years now.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

I used an 8" piece of Unistrut, which I put plastic heat shrink on, and two pieces of 1/2" bolt rod which has the same thread as lug nuts.  Been under there 15 years now.

Photo?

I something similar as electricjohn but used a piece of 2" SS angle. Drilled two holes in it, used two long carriage bolts and clamped the trailer beam between the tire and the angle. It hung a little lower than the mounts shown, and a little harder to take on and off but how often do you really need to remove it?

10 hours ago, RyanB said:

Photo?

Don't know how. I can't even get pictures out of my flip phone.

Edited by electricjohn
19 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

14 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Both of the ones I had cracked right next to the vertical welds on the wheel plate. 

I had to reinforce mine last year after 4 years of use. It too was about to break off and go bouncing down the road, glad I found it first. Where it was welded to the mount plate for the lugs, it was broke on 2 sides out of the 3 it was welded on. It was made of U shaped channel. I plated the open side and reinforced everything else.image.thumb.png.aa0d2b59894497b5c4222f24c9667271.png

Edited by dalt1
2 hours ago, Brett B said:

Assuming you have a Boatmate trailer, just buy one directly from Boatmate:

https://www.boatmateparts.com/product_details.php?itmId=102

I installed that one on my 2012 VLX trailer and it was rock solid, no issues after years of use.

Good advice.  But that one won't work.  I already have one for the side.  I am looking to add a 2nd, and due to the trailer jack, I am almost positive that I have to go with an under trailer mount.  

I was thinking something like this, but looking at my trailer, I am not sure that it would mount.

https://www.bakesonline.com/trailer-spare-tire-carrier-under-carriage-mount.html

The other one that I see is this one, which I don't think would work either.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/BAL-Hide-A-Spare-70-Frame-Underslung-Mount-p/92-0151.htm

Perhaps I am stuck with having some one weld something for me.  But then I have to worry about painting it so it doesn't look like garbage.  This might be a lost cause.

kbZNyx7.jpg

Edited by RyanB

Its really hard to see, but you can see some bars right behind the storage box on this Jet ski trailer under the trailer.  I had a similar trailer to it and the tire sat on top of those bars and was bolt down.  You should be able to do something similar right under the bow of the boat on your trailer.

img_OHqBMa8t38.jpg

1 hour ago, twitchee2 said:

Its really hard to see, but you can see some bars right behind the storage box on this Jet ski trailer under the trailer.  I had a similar trailer to it and the tire sat on top of those bars and was bolt down.  You should be able to do something similar right under the bow of the boat on your trailer.

img_OHqBMa8t38.jpg

Not sure that would be a good idea for a lot of ramps.  Looks like it would drag on a ramp with a steep transition.

What about using the bakes under carriage mount on the rear of the trailer underneath one of the fenders? Mounted to the inside of the rear steps as far forward towards the fender. 

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Not sure that would be a good idea for a lot of ramps.  Looks like it would drag on a ramp with a steep transition.

I used it on steep ramps with my 4runner as the tow rig and never had any issues. But the short wheel base of the jetski trailer combined with the short wheel base of the 4runner probably helped out, a lot.  The idea would need to be modified for a boat trailer and not hang down too low for the application.

Here is the real solution.  Convert to duals on both axles, then you can afford to lose a few tires ;)

This is actually an awesome trailer for towing a jeep sized vehicle - as I recall it was built to tow sniper buggies around.

S5030474-xWWLTu0W_1326552453.JPG

What about making the bolts for the spare tire longer so that you could have both tires stacked one in front of the other on the spare tire carrier?  Might have to beef it up, but it seems doable.

• 1 month later...
On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:07 AM, RyanB said:

Good advice.  But that one won't work.  I already have one for the side.  I am looking to add a 2nd, and due to the trailer jack, I am almost positive that I have to go with an under trailer mount.  

I was thinking something like this, but looking at my trailer, I am not sure that it would mount.

https://www.bakesonline.com/trailer-spare-tire-carrier-under-carriage-mount.html

The other one that I see is this one, which I don't think would work either.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/BAL-Hide-A-Spare-70-Frame-Underslung-Mount-p/92-0151.htm

Perhaps I am stuck with having some one weld something for me.  But then I have to worry about painting it so it doesn't look like garbage.  This might be a lost cause.

kbZNyx7.jpg

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiZiKqDvc_aAhWIWLwKHTzMC8AQjRx6BAgAEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fyachthub.com%2Flist%2Fprint_ad.html%3Fde%3D197438&psig=AOvVaw0-6HJjTz3uEJRW_7E0O57a&ust=1524541287105013

If the link works, have a look at the last photo, may give you some ideas if you are going to do some welding.....