Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu tops 2004 sales

josh_tn

How can a boat company make any money selling 50 boats? Even at 200 that would be hard, that is a boat a day not counting weekends.

How can a boat company make any money selling 50 boats? Even at 200 that would be hard, that is a boat a day not counting weekends.

50 boats is one a week!

MC down 5.5% I'd like to look at their margins & profits as this doesn't seem like much of a business plan (inferior and overpriced boats, imo.)

2,800 Boats for Malibu surprises me. I thought it would be higher.

Do the math. Thats a bit over 53 boats per week or just under 8 boats per day if you count weekends. The fact that the #s were up by about 300 over last year is cool. Think about it. Thats increasing production by 1 boat per day. Thats a big jump when you are turning out 7 per day.

Looks like 2004 saw about 750 more boats sold than 2003. I wonder how much gas prices will affect this number for 2005.

These boats are hand made, not robot machine assembly like cars, add to it the customization and it takes some time to build.

I personally don't take too much stock in Malibu building more boats if the assumption is that they are selling them just because they are better. My take on this is that people are looking more intently at the value for their buck and think Malibu is currently the best.

I do think it's very interesting that Moomba (Skier's Choice) is up a full 20%. I think that speaks volumes to my belief that what was once considered a sport or hobby for the more priveleged is becoming more mainstream and people are buying into it by going with an entry level boat. Unfortunately, that means the lakes are starting to get overcrowded as well.

Regarding gas prices affecting sales... I would doubt it. Boats are still very much a luxury item and I just don't see the $5 difference at the pump when filling up bothering someone that spent 20-50k on a boat.

Just my $.02.

Mike

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are these numbers based on new boats registered in the year 2004? Please read very top line of the article.

So, this means that there were definitley more boats that were sold, the question is..how many? Many people that live or ski on private lakes do not register their boat, so these boats would not be counted.

2,800 Boats for Malibu surprises me. I thought it would be higher.

Do the math. Thats a bit over 53 boats per week or just under 8 boats per day if you count weekends. The fact that the #s were up by about 300 over last year is cool. Think about it. Thats increasing production by 1 boat per day. Thats a big jump when you are turning out 7 per day.

That's pretty close. I've been told they are closer to 8 boats a day.

They've been ahead of MC for a couple of years now.

I'm skeptical of those numbers. Sanger had a whole new product line last year that was a pretty nice offering IMO and affordable in comparison to some of the other brands. I find it difficult to think they only produced 404 units. I must have seen 100 of them myself then.

Basing their information on boat registration data from 46 states,

Wonder which states were not represented. (Obviously, California was included or Sanger's number would've much, much lower.)

jklein Posted Today, 01:37 PM

I'm skeptical of those numbers. Sanger had a whole new product line last year that was a pretty nice offering IMO and affordable in comparison to some of the other brands. I find it difficult to think they only produced 404 units. I must have seen 100 of them myself then.

You are in the heart of Sanger country.

Since it was noted previously that the stats are based on state registrations, international sales are also excluded.

I do think it's very interesting that Moomba (Skier's Choice) is up a full 20%.  I think that speaks volumes to my belief that what was once considered a sport or hobby for the more priveleged is becoming more mainstream and people are buying into it by going with an entry level boat.  Unfortunately, that means the lakes are starting to get overcrowded as well.

It probably means that more I/O owners are moving over to inboards. Lord knows all we need are more crowded lakes.

Glad to do my bit for the 05 figures.

The other big percentage increase was Tige. We had Cathy Williams at our Lake recently and she is a staunch supporter. Her partner though is sponsored by the market leader!

I'm skeptical of those numbers.  Sanger had a whole new product line last year that was a pretty nice offering IMO and affordable in comparison to some of the other brands.  I find it difficult to think they only produced 404 units. I must have seen 100 of them myself then.

My family and I's first boat was an 84 barefoot nautique, we've been into inboards ever since, and I have NEVER even seen a Sanger before. So I think that the numbers might be accurate. I take that back, I saw a sanger pulling a regional brefoot tournament. What do you think some of the "other" brands were? Ski pro, svfara, elan? any other ones?

Where do you live, wakebrdgod?

I suspect Wakebrdgod may well live somewhere in the Midwest. I live in Ohio and often go to KY and TN and have also never seen a Sanger......

Jeff/Airchair1

Here in Central Oregon the ratio of Bu's to Others seems to be 1bu for every 3 boats. This is most likely do to out local dealer though. You have to drive to Portland for MC, MB, and the other local dealers are not that great.

Joe

I saw my first Sangar ever this year at a boat show at the mall. I was surprised at the number of Centurians too. Aren't a couple of those brands all owned by the same company (Skier's Choice)? I think Centurian, Moomba, and something else, but I could be off. You combine those, and they're bigger than CC.

I don't think that the Centurians numbers are all that suprising. They have some very loyal customers. I have talked to several boat mechs who think that although the Centurian is lacking in creature comforts and basic quality control in the interior fit and finish, that they are very solid boats as for as rigging and hull assembly.

Joe

I owned a mastercraft up until 1999, when I bought my first malibu, at that time I had the first malibu on our lake in Michigan. Since then we now have 5 additional malibus on our lake. They all had different brands of ski boats. I have definitly seen an increase in malibu's.