Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bamboo surf board difference?

MystiikVLX

I've seen chaos and Doomswell sells a bamboo version of their boards. What is the advantage or disadvantage of the bamboo board?

Essentially bamboo is a fairly sustainable product that can add a fair amount of strength to a board. It is generally more accessible in very thin veneers than other wood products, so you can get a nice wood finish without a ton of weight.

We started doing bamboo series a number of years ago and of course other brands followed suit. If you ware looking for performance over appearance, get a custom.

Nick

On 3/14/2018 at 5:45 PM, Chaos said:

Essentially bamboo is a fairly sustainable product that can add a fair amount of strength to a board. It is generally more accessible in very thin veneers than other wood products, so you can get a nice wood finish without a ton of weight.

We started doing bamboo series a number of years ago and of course other brands followed suit. If you ware looking for performance over appearance, get a custom.

Nick

So is the bamboo just for looks?

Is it more durable? Or does it perform better?

I'm just curious.

1 hour ago, MystiikVLX said:

I'm just curious.

I think bamboo will make the top a little more durable and more resistant to heal dents

Years ago my son needed a wood bat for a wood bat baseball tourney. Found a bamboo bat on ebay. One of the few that was not broken by the end of the tourney. Tough stuff!

9 hours ago, MystiikVLX said:

I'm just curious.

Not necessarily more durable. It depends on how the board is built. Lots of bamboo boards out there these days that are just built like crap, so it is not an absolute. A well built board that has a decent core and the bamboo veneer is sandwiched between layers of fiberglass and vacuumed bag to the core will on average hold up very well.

There are trade off with all materials. People think Carbon Fiber is strong, the fact is carbon fiber is very brittle. Carbon fiber adds considerable stiffening elements to structures without as much weight typically found in other materials. Wrapping a board in carbon fiber doesn't make it bullet proof.

Bamboo fibers are long and far more uniform than most wood products which makes them a great choice for surfboard, they also have good dampening abilities which can take the chatter out of rough water.

The simple answer is it is not necessarily more durable than a clear/white fiberglass wrapped board, but it can be, and if having the clean, natural aesthetics of wood is desired, then it is one of the best if not the best choice.

Nick