Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil/Transmission fluids and capacitites, 1996 Echelon

1996 Echelon, Monsoon 320 Multi-Port EFI - ? proper oil and amount

Hurth Transmission.  Can't really tell the model, maybe HSW 150 D?  A=1 B=1 so I'm assuming a 1:1 transmission ratio,  ?proper fluid and amount

This boat is new to me this year.  Fluids actually look really good but would like to go ahead and change.  Thanks

Thanks @Woodski , found the fluids and capacities needed. 

The manual didn't give specifics on changing the fuel filter or separator except "take it to an indmar service center".  I'll look around on the forum for something on this.  Thanks.  Hopefully I'll be up to speed on the forum soon. 

I've never heard these terms in relation to an Echelon:  Indmar - Hurth - Monsoon.  I feel out of the loop.  

My Echelon has a GM 350 Mercruiser with a Borg Velvet Drive.  Every echy I've seen has either the Merc carb'd or EFI, and those lucky few with the 454 are usually half way across the lake before I get to bother them.  

I've got 10WT hydraulic tractor fluid in the trans and 15w40 Blue Valv SN in the motor.  I've heard many people are using ATF now.

Edited by Pra4sno

@Pra4sno:  Your combo is pretty common, very solid and reliable.  I suggest you keep hydraulic fluid in the trans, my experience with ATF in the Velvet Drive results in more noise and clatter at low speeds.  Hydraulic fluid seems to make it operate smoother.  Also, the fluids should not be mixed, so you have to do a good drain process if you swap it out.  Use a turkey baster to suck the fluid out of the trans and replace same amount you remove.  Google Velvet Drive to get lots of info on your 71C trans.

@Pra4sno , The engine has a "Monsoon 320" name plate on it and I believe the word "Cutler" is stamped somewhere on the top of the motor.  There is a large, square cover on the stern side of the motor that says "Monsoon 320".

http://1576139F-AEF3-4946-A6C3-AB9D36AFEE36_zps

For the transmission, I literally stuck my head down into the engine compartment and read the above info. off the transmission.  It actually is a 450 D transmissioin, not 150.

Now you all are making me nervous.  Can I get confirmation that this is correct?  The "resources" on here is where I got the info for the fluids. 

Welcome,  i was considering that boat you got - you got a great deal !    As for transmission fluid, use this:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-DEX-MERC-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Quart/15125787

get a fluid extractor and then measure out what you took out and put the exact same amount in.  I just did mine this fall and i got about 1.6 quart out.  So get 2 quarts.

as for engine oil,  drain it and put in 4.5 quarts of your choice of 15w40 diesel oil - they are all good.  Put on the new filter - start it up for a few seconds and then check your dipstick - go by the dipstick - it will probably take all 5 quarts (depending on how much you got to drain out)

don't forget to put a fresh impeller in.  https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-3001-3621-09-812B-1-Impeller/dp/B0039XQ5DG

Thanks @SkiPablo , It came at the perfect time and with the price I can repair the little things and still be in Super Fine Shape.  Hoping to have it on the water either this coming weekend or next. 

I didn't see a fuel/water separator anywhere on the block.  Is the only fuel filter an inline one?  If there are any, where are they located?

On 3/15/2018 at 11:09 AM, SkiPablo said:

Welcome,  i was considering that boat you got - you got a great deal !    As for transmission fluid, use this:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-DEX-MERC-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Quart/15125787

get a fluid extractor and then measure out what you took out and put the exact same amount in.  I just did mine this fall and i got about 1.6 quart out.  So get 2 quarts.

as for engine oil,  drain it and put in 4.5 quarts of your choice of 15w40 diesel oil - they are all good.  Put on the new filter - start it up for a few seconds and then check your dipstick - go by the dipstick - it will probably take all 5 quarts (depending on how much you got to drain out)

don't forget to put a fresh impeller in.  https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-3001-3621-09-812B-1-Impeller/dp/B0039XQ5DG

Make sure the 15w40 you use is formulated for gas engines.  Many of them have changed. 

Youre primarily looking for an SN designation or other gas designator on the oil container.

Thanks @Pra4sno !  I really wanted an inboard ever since I started skiing the course.  I've also been a Malibu fan for a while.  I didn't have a ton of $ to spend on a boat.  When this one came up for sale, I got the OK from the wife and bought it and had it brought down from Pennsylvania, over 1200 miles!  In turn for the OK to purchase, I'll likely be buying a pontoon once this is paid off.  Fair enough.  Knowing this one came from a BOS counterpart really sealed the deal.

I've ordered a replacement heater switch as the old one is corroded and am pretty sure that's why it isn't working.  I just ordered a new thermostat and impeller from ski-dim.  Will pick up the fluids this week and have this thing on the water this weekend provided the weather is nice.  Forecast says 78 but it's only Monday.  No telling what it will be like when Saturday rolls around!

Glad to be part of the forum.  I'm sure I'll be asking more questions soon

@gt2003:  IIRC, Cutler is the intake manifold supplier on your engine, it is basically a Small Block Chevrolet marinized by one of several companies that do it.  Cutler was used by Indmar as the intake manifold, so my guess is an Indmar marinized Monsoon.