Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SeaDek install on Glued in carpet

mjkelleykids

I have a 2006 Wakesetter 23 LSV with Glued in carpet and not snap in .. Has anyone out there done an install of SeaDek or Plas TEAK on a malibu with glued in carpet and can provide  feedback on carpet removal process and new floor install ?  Thanks, MK

@mjkelleykids:  I suggest you peruse some of the online carpet sites for info, I did that for my removal process & they are very helpful.  Basically pulling old carpet up, using a heat gun, scraper and some solvents to remove and clean floor.  

Once u remove the old glue I'm pretty sure you'll want to seal the floor somehow. With epoxy or gel coat etc.  Then put the seadek on top of that. 

• Like 3

been wondering the same.  Thinking about the sea deck/gator install but dealing with the carpet and glue seems like a real PITA.

7 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

been wondering the same.  Thinking about the sea deck/gator install but dealing with the carpet and glue seems like a real PITA.

It is.

...but, I'm sure the end results will be well worth it.  My problem is that removing the carpet opened up a couple other unintended projects.  :rant:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, formulaben said:

It is.

...but, I'm sure the end results will be well worth it.  My problem is that removing the carpet opened up a couple other unintended projects.  :rant:

my concern is that for my 08 VLX, last I checked, nobody has a template.  I don't mind doing the template, but you have to cut the carpet out and clean the floor to get the templating accuracy.  On cutting the carpet, I'm assuming we all use a utility knife to smoothly cut the carpet, but wouldn't you have to press hard enough to where it gouges and scores the fiberglass/gelcoat underneath?  So when you start cleaning the glue up you have knife scores all over from cutting the carpet out and have to repair that as it would look terrible if you didn't?

1 minute ago, hawaiianstyln said:

my concern is that for my 08 VLX, last I checked, nobody has a template.  I don't mind doing the template, but you have to cut the carpet out and clean the floor to get the templating accuracy.  On cutting the carpet, I'm assuming we all use a utility knife to smoothly cut the carpet, but wouldn't you have to press hard enough to where it gouges and scores the fiberglass/gelcoat underneath?  So when you start cleaning the glue up you have knife scores all over from cutting the carpet out and have to repair that as it would look terrible if you didn't?

Not necessarily.  If you have the pre-fab composite underneath I wouldn't be too concerned about gouging it, since you have to seal it anyway.  If it is gelcoat under your carpet then I would think the adhesive remover would work much better than on the rough composite.  For example, on the 2 spots where it was bare aluminum (fuel tank cover and center locker door) the carpet pratically fell off after letting the adhesive remover do its thing.  If your seat rail is like mine (1" thick HDPE stood up on its side) then I can see why they don't have a template; it is simply screwed in and there could be quite the variance since it is not formed in a mold.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Not necessarily.  If you have the pre-fab composite underneath I wouldn't be too concerned about gouging it, since you have to seal it anyway.  If it is gelcoat under your carpet then I would think the adhesive remover would work much better than on the rough composite.  For example, on the 2 spots where it was bare aluminum (fuel tank cover and center locker door) the carpet pratically fell off after letting the adhesive remover do its thing.  If your seat rail is like mine (1" thick HDPE stood up on its side) then I can see why they don't have a template; it is simply screwed in and there could be quite the variance since it is not formed in a mold.

my seat rail is 1" thick HDPE.  Only reason I know is that I recently mounted a ProMariner onboard battery charger plug underneath the center seat on the seat rail/wall and had to us a hole saw to drill thru that HPDE

We just did one. Literally a 2006 Sunsetter. 

The carpet came up pretty easy, but we did sand the floor down to smooth it out. We removed panels and made the seadek pieces so they fit under the panels when they were put back in. I think one of the guys took pics. Ill post them soon.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, COOP said:

Yeah it came out pretty good. First one we've done where we pulled up carpet.

Do you do this professionally?  How much did you charge for Sunsetter?  Where are you?

Yes, we are a Malibu dealer.

We are in St. Louis Mo.

I will say that we didnt charge the total hours it took. We kinda used this a baseline for similar projects. And of course the next wont take as long. We have probably 40hrs in it. Removing panels, pulling carpet, making templates, prepping the floor, and installing everything. We did the swim platform as well. All in all it was right around 6k. 

Looks amazing.

That is a similar color combo to my 05 XTI.  I wasn't sure how the "Wood" look would blend with the grey and blue... but it looks great.

I was also at a loss on what to do with the gunwell carpet.  I like that you left it... 

Great job on the sub and the LED lights as well.  Top Notch!

13 minutes ago, COOP said:

Yes, we are a Malibu dealer.

We are in St. Louis Mo.

I will say that we didnt charge the total hours it took. We kinda used this a baseline for similar projects. And of course the next wont take as long. We have probably 40hrs in it. Removing panels, pulling carpet, making templates, prepping the floor, and installing everything. We did the swim platform as well. All in all it was right around 6k. 

Probably a good winter project for a dealer.  Looks great.  Why no SeaDeck under the observer seat or back lockers?  Are the seat supports different than early 2000 - 2010 V drives?

1 hour ago, OSUMike said:

Looks amazing.

That is a similar color combo to my 05 XTI.  I wasn't sure how the "Wood" look would blend with the grey and blue... but it looks great.

I was also at a loss on what to do with the gunwell carpet.  I like that you left it... 

Great job on the sub and the LED lights as well.  Top Notch!

Thanks! What isnt in these pics is all of the other LEDs. All the cupholders have them, the speakers all have them and there are accent lights all over the boat. We also replace the silver screws at the bottom of the sub box with black. 

Edited by COOP
  • 4 years later...

I know this is an old topic but for anyone who lands here in a search, here is a phenomenal writeup on the process from start to finish. Lifting the carpet, getting rid of the glue, materials used, prepping the floor etc. Helped me in a big way.

https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/flooring-upgrade-projects/glued-in-carpet-to-gatorstep-r224/