Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1st Trip Out, New Boat Questions

tex599

Starting the break-in on my new 21 MLX and have a couple of questions, maybe some you guys can answer.  We went through the on-water instruction when we picked up the boat last weekend and ran through most of the screen options and settings.  So I have pretty good understanding of how everything works, but fast forward to Saturday.  We are still in the under 4K RPM break-in rule and when accelerating (cruise control off), I kept getting a surf gate warning as I would speed past that 13.6 MPH threshold.  

I think it still had a preset loaded, as we had walked through that last when doing the on-water instruction.  Does it not reset to defualt once everything is powered off, plus battery switch in off position?  So I hit go home, as I understand this would place everything back to default.  Warning went away, on main screen it still says Go Home on the wake screen.  The way I understand to cancel this you just turn off the crusie control and it will exit any preset condition?  But I never turned on the cruise control, so should I just turn it on, then off?

Second question, autowedge:

It is turned on in settings, is there a visible notation on the main screen (wedge widget) when the wedge drops to lift.  Mine stayed at stowed, locked on the widget.  I might not have a true understanding of how this should work.  I think it drops as you accelerate to get on plane and then returns to the locked position.  Let me know if I understand this correctly.

I have read the manual several times, but I think I might be unclear on some of this stuff.

Thanks

surf gate will yell at you over 13.5 mph... you were prob in a surf profile?

auto wedge, you set it to lift and you will hear it drop past fully deployed (lift mode goes past 90*) when you get up to speed it will move to which every position the profile it set to. it drags through the water the whole time 

I do think I was in some profile from the original on water test.  Does the boat not default back to standard setup, once electronics and battery are turned off?  Autowedge only engages if you select lift on the widget?  If I leave it in stowed it will not drop down?

No it won't go to the lift position if you have it in the stowed position.  If you have the wedge set in any other position it will automatically bring it self to the lift position and once on plane it will go back to the position you had it originally.  It is designed for when the boat is weighted for wakeboarding. 

Thanks Seth, that makes alot of sense.  It would not drop from stowed to lift under acceleration and then back to stowed.  That seemed like it would cause quite a bit of drag on the way back up.

16 hours ago, tex599 said:

Thanks Seth, that makes alot of sense.  It would not drop from stowed to lift under acceleration and then back to stowed.  That seemed like it would cause quite a bit of drag on the way back up.

That’s the point, most aren’t going to use lift mode in a heavily weighted boat and then return wedge to top position , they want the drag you are talking about.  That’s the point of the wedge??

10 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Wait Daddy O, lift mode is there for that reason to help get weighted boat up quicker when loaded down. Not when boat empty.. :cheers: 

I get that, he is questioning the drag when leaving lift position going back up to deployed or all the way up, and I’m saying most of us want some part or all of that drag to surf or ride

True Dat, just clarifying its intended usefulness. Like my bulldog I no longer am growing up, just out so lift mode will only be of more value regardless of filled ballast... 😂.

I think I have the answer to the autowedge.  Does anyone know if the boat resets once powered down and battery switched off?  For example, say we had a preset "surf left" set.  When finished we drive to the dock, turn boat off, switch batteries off.  Next day, we turn boat on, is the "surf left" still set?

9 minutes ago, tex599 said:

I think I have the answer to the autowedge.  Does anyone know if the boat resets once powered down and battery switched off?  For example, say we had a preset "surf left" set.  When finished we drive to the dock, turn boat off, switch batteries off.  Next day, we turn boat on, is the "surf left" still set?

It should be reset at that point.  

• Like 2

Thanks SCMike, I thought that should be the case.  Trying to figure out why my surf gate was trying to deploy the other day.  It could be all my fault as well, it was my first time by myself and I could have accidently pressed a button. 

Just now, tex599 said:

Thanks SCMike, I thought that should be the case.  Trying to figure out why my surf gate was trying to deploy the other day.  It could be all my fault as well, it was my first time by myself and I could have accidently pressed a button. 

Yeah, kinda seems strange.  My presets always turn off when I turn the batteries off.  If you just turn the boat off, but not the batteries, I believe the presets will stay.  

20 minutes ago, tex599 said:

If you had the pre-set at Surf Left and then just shut the boat off (and batteries), the boat won't still be in surf left when you turn it back on, but all of your ballast would still be full, the wedge would be down, the speed still at 10.6 (speed control probably not turned on though). The best thing to do before you shut anything off is the Go Home pre-set to get your boat back to just a boat - it would empty ballast, lift the wedge, disengage surf gate, and put the speed to 20mph (but not turn on speed control). Then you can cruise around without the wedge or surf gate having any issues.

When you were getting above 13.5 and surf gate was setting off an alarm, one of the surf gates was set to go out - that can happen whether you are in a pre-set or not.

• Like 1

Thanks, Chantel.  I did hit "go home" and it stopped the surf gate from deploying.  I know that I did not have a pre-set selected at the time, as that screen section was blank.  I might have hit the surf side selector on the rotary dial by accident.   This is all new to me as I am coming from a simple Mastercraft X-9 with rocker switches.  Trying to figure everything out before the water warms up and see what needs to be corrected at the first service.  Right now I just need to get to 10 hours for the break-in to be completed.