Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

5 blade prop

ChainSetter

I recently have seen a few of these on inboards and have heard some chatter about 5 blade helping the wake. Anyone have any exp with this? My wave is way better on the goofy side than reg. I'm wondering if that would have any positive effect on it.  I feel like 5 blade was a bust in the I/o world.

23 minutes ago, ChainSetter said:

I recently have seen a few of these on inboards and have heard some chatter about 5 blade helping the wake. Anyone have any exp with this? My wave is way better on the goofy side than reg. I'm wondering if that would have any positive effect on it.  I feel like 5 blade was a bust in the I/o world.

Never seen one on an inboard, but the hi 5 was the answer to holeshot in the i/o world. 

I remember OJ had some 5 blade props, and they kept the pitch a secret, like there was some black magic involved. It's pretty straight forward to measure pitch though.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Never seen one on an inboard, but the hi 5 was the answer to holeshot in the i/o world. 

I had a High 5 on my Tahoe. It was a good prop. I could pull stumps out of the ground with it. :thumbup:

I had the cinco 5 blade prop on my A20. Wasn’t a huge fan, from the standpoint of bottom end, getting on plane with a loaded boat. It’s nothing like a 15x12 prop when it comes to getting on plane.

I did find the range to be pretty good. You could run a decent amount of ballast with it and get on plane. Then if you dumped the ballast you could run the boat over 45mph on flat water.

• Like 1

We ran a 5 blade on my friends A22 last summer in a test. Pulled soon after out the water and returned to four blade. As said above 15x12 was a better fit for us and we found with less cup performed better.

Edited by alpensurf23
11 hours ago, Kojak said:

I had a High 5 on my Tahoe. It was a good prop. I could pull stumps out of the ground with it. :thumbup:

It is what i ran on my 3.0l so that i could get my butt out of the water on a slalom. 

I had excellent success with the Hi 5 on my brother's Bluewater I/O, so when I looked to upgrade my prop the 5 blade seemed like it might be a good option.  I spoke with an engineer at ACME and he said they really couldn't find the improvements with the 5th blade when operating on this size of scale...bigger boats were a different story.  The other issue was having to make/buy a completely new propeller puller since it needed to be S shaped.  He said it just wasn't worth it, and this coming from someone who is in the business of selling propellers...

• Like 2

So consensus is that it would have no effect on the surf wake?  What is crazy to me is the amount of effect the prop rotation has on the surf wake.  It's night and day on my boat

just speculating, large boats with diesel engines (more torque) would require a larger diameter and more blades (5 or so) since they would turn at a lower rpm...say 1800 or so.

• 2 years later...

Bring back from the dead, never even heard of one for a wakeboat but saw this on IG today. Any feedback on this as I’m swapping around right now with my 2014 247LSV with the LSA. I know I have the 15x14.5 and a new 15x13 on the way but if 5 blades comes into play I want to give it a shot. I come from 50-70’ Sportfishing boats so 5,6,7 blades was a pretty common thing through Nibral and other companies.

B0439A31-A9E2-4D05-ADFC-A233569B8503.png

My 2 cents: if you have to choose between a 5-blade with 14.5" diameter and a 4-blade with a larger diameter I'd definitely go with the 4-blade.  Last time I checked, they only went up to 14.5" on the fiver.

• Thanks 1
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, alpensurf23 said:

We ran a 5 blade on my friends A22 last summer in a test. Pulled soon after out the water and returned to four blade. As said above 15x12 was a better fit for us and we found with less cup performed better.

I had a similar experience. Tried an OJ 5 blade a few years ago, and only ran it one afternoon. 

Oddly, it had the opposite effect I was hoping for. It was supposed to be the same pitch/diameter/cup specs as my stock 4 blade, and actually seemed to slip a lot more out of the hole. I was expecting the opposite.

• Like 1

I know I am in the minority here.....but... I have an OJ 5 blade on my 2004 LSV with the Monsoon 340 and have been running it for 4ish seasons.  For surfing we can run up to 3000 lbs of ballast plus gear fuel and people, always use the wedge   No complaints.  Handles weight, cruises well, great hole shot, RPMs don't seem out of line.  Only time I have had issues is when I overloaded the rear with ballast + people and it can be hard to plane.  That is easy to correct by dumping a little ballast an moving a person or 2, with that much weight the swim platform cuts into the wave and changes have to be made anyway.  

• Like 1

I have the cinco prop and it's actually one I had kept in case I bought another new A22.  I thought this prop was overall the best one you could buy.  It lowered your RPMs but still pulled just as good when comparing it to the 1235 or 1615 which were top dog props before the 2315.  Since I got a new A24 I will not need it.  Not sure how it would do with the new boats, but with the old indmar 350 I think it was solid.  Just depends what you want to achieve.  I would say 99% of the population would be fine with the prop as you can run very heavy ballast for surfing. . . wakeboarding on the other hand this is where the 2315 outshines this prop.  

• Thanks 1