Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PP slow to lock in on rpms

I've been putting up with a minor PP problem for too long now and after spending some of Saturday in a Nautique that locked in on its target RPMs immediately I decided it was time to troubleshoot my problem. This is a PP install on a 2004 Black Scorpion.

In short, if I overshoot my target rpms too much PP takes up to 5 seconds or so before it even seems to try to adjust for it. Once it locks on on the rpms it maintains them just fine. I've learned to compensate for it, but my ski partner hasn't quite yet, which is annoying if there's a short setup going into the course.

The servo is just fine and the line coming off of the server is good and tight, etc...

So, I believe that there are two things that could be going wrong if I'm reading the PP manual corrrectly.

1. The throttle return spring is too weak.

2. The linkage has some slack in it.

Of the two above, number 2 seems like the culprit. The linkage appears good and tight, however, there is a 10 degree or so angle between where the throttle line comes in from the back of the motor and where the PP line comes in from the front of the motor.

Can anyone comment on whether or not I'm on the right track or provide any other ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Great question. My 03 does the same thing. I can't tell you how many times my buddies have blown through the gates pulling me at 2 or three miles an hour over my PP speed. I've learned to do one of two things when driving:

1. Accelerate more progressively until the PP takes over and let it bring me up to speed.

2. Back off the throttle after the "beep" if a skier wants a strong hole shot.

I can't speak for the new Responses, but the new 197s immediately take over with no driver manipulation needed. I know the "throttle by wire" is a factor in the newer boats. I've tried to improve it, but I think it is part of the manual linkage. Maybe someone has tried a different spring as you mentioned.

Thanks for the question!

For those interested, here's the response I got back from PP:

Hi,

Of the 2 options I would suspect the first one. The return spring may simply be a bit weak making the PerfectPass slow to reduce throttle. The first thing you should do is get someone else to drive the boat and watch what the servo is doing after it beeps to engage. Does it immediately start trying to back off? Does the linkage immediately respond to the movement of the servo?

Thank You,

Aaron