Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at a boat

IAinboard

Hey guys I am new here and looking for some advice.  I am looking to jump into the world of Malibu boats with my first boat purchase.  I have grown up having boats my whole life but they were all I/Os.  I have found a boat that I want to go take a look at and hopefully buy but Im not sure what all I should be looking for, so I have come to the experts.  I am looking at a '94 Echelon with 400 hours on it.   If I am going to make the 6 hour drive to look at it what sort of things should I be looking for and what questions should I ask?

Thanks for your help!

I wakeboard a lot but I have little boys that like to tube and kneeboard.  Im not looking for a monster wake.  I just want a solid boat that will be reliable for the next couple years, until I am able to upgrade. 

A 94 with 400 hrs if well taken care of is a nice find! An awesome slalom tug.  

Stored indoors? Ask to see service records to get an idea on care over the years.

Where are you located - maybe if there's a crew member close they can help you check it out!

Edited by Rednucleus
addition

I thought 400 hr sounded really good for a '94 .  I dont know much about Mailbus other than what I can read online.  

The boat is in Wichita KS.  Kind of a remote place, but if there is anyone there that could save me a trip ant would be amazing. I would hate to drive 12 hours and not come home with a boat!

Im looking to stay around 12K for now.  Im not too concerned about wake size right now.  I really just want something reliable.  Like I said we have had I/O's my whole life but I have always wanted an inboard and I love the way Malibus look.

We ski, slalom and wake board behind our echelon, it seems to do fine and we enjoy it.  I agree that its more of a ski boat than a wakeboat but with some effort it does a decent job at both.  I'm curious to try surfing behind it if anyone has done it. 

On the Echy that you are looking at, is it an LX (open bow) or closed bow?  Seems to me that the open bow boats tend to command a little bit more $$ than the closed bow ones.

It is an open bow, that is really the main reason I am considering it.  Inside looks really clean and its only around 10K.  It sounds like I should bite the bullet and take the drive. 

Thanks everyone for you input.