Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom step trailer option

MustGoFast

The transom step is attached toward the back of the fender, it lets you easily step up onto the swim platform to enter the boat.  Just picked up my new boat and it had the transom step. I did also ordered the bow step as well. Without either step, you are basically boarding the boat from the trailer fender or trying to climb up on the front near the trailer winch. Transom step was $250 and bow step is the same, I think. 

Don’t hesitate on this, it should be considered standard, with the height on the 23,24,25 boats it can be tough for some to get in the boat while on the trailer.

the off brand trailer on my 14’ LSV was a challenge for my kids to get up onto the platform, they wanted to climb up the Surf gates to pull themselves up the first few times. 

ahopkins22LSV

Check, the box. It is well worth it on the new taller boats and the T22 falls into that category! And any boat that is 102" beam, the boat actually is over the fender so it is a PIA to stand on the fender and get in.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

For us,  we wanted to cut cost and it was hard to say no at the price but we did.  When we have people or kids that need help getting into the boat it won't help them and we will still need to have our step stool in the truck. The option would primarily help me when getting ready and working on the boat and I managed to survive without it on our old boat. It's easy to check all the boxes on the cheaper options but they add up quick.  

• Like 1

I had no idea what is was when I ordered my 15 Axis but quickly realized I should’ve ordered it. Made sure to order it on my 17! Agree with comment above they should be standard. 

• 1 year later...
ahopkins22LSV
35 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

Is this an option that can be added later? Can it be ordered and bolted on? Any aftermarket ideas?

Can it be? Yes, although a lot of work. 

It is welded on, so if you go that route the frame will need to be prepped for weld and then again for repaint. The fender step behind the wheel fender will most likely need to be shortened too. 

You could potentially have a fab shop do it for you to custom fit to your trailer.

I made the mistake of not ordering the bow step.  After 2 trips to the lake for the break in, I made one myself.  I designed one that's a bolt on (no welding on the brand new trailer) but it's much smarter to order one up front.  With the price of steel, I'm not sure you save any money making it yourself (even if you can do the welding/cutting).

Dave

6 hours ago, malibuskier2003 said:

I made the mistake of not ordering the bow step.  After 2 trips to the lake for the break in, I made one myself.  I designed one that's a bolt on (no welding on the brand new trailer) but it's much smarter to order one up front.  With the price of steel, I'm not sure you save any money making it yourself (even if you can do the welding/cutting).

Dave

Would you mind posting some pics or how you did that? Sounds like a good idea. Do you have the transom step? 

7 hours ago, malibuskier2003 said:

Dave

Made my own too. Also used it to bolt the winch on all 4 corners to keep it from destroying itself. Common problem with winch mount plate bending due to being bolted on center line only.image.thumb.png.1422abf625e74e06df8c4ffdcf6a3843.pngimage.thumb.png.7eea689753ce859e1f2f7428156287ac.png

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Would you mind posting some pics or how you did that? Sounds like a good idea. Do you have the transom step? 

I don't have pictures at my disposal right now, but I think I can describe what I did :lol:.  I took all the measurements off of another trailer at the boat shop.  I cut the step out of 1/4" plate, and welded the square tube support to the bottom of the plate.  Then I took a 8" piece of square tube (5" I believe) and split it vertically.  I welded  a hinge to the top and bottom of one side of the split piece and two tabs to the opposite side.  I drilled 3/8" holes in the tabs for a bolt.  I then welded the plate & vertical piece to the back of the split tube.  I also lined the inside of the tube with 1/4 rubber so it wouldn't scratch the original vertical tube on the trailer.  After confirming fit, I painted the step with a can of white paint from the auto store.  I'm actually surprised how close the color match is.  Technically, I can remove the step by removing one bolt but I've never been tempted to remove it.  The hardest part was cutting the funky curve in the top plate.  I'll check my computer at the house later for pictures.

Dave

3 hours ago, malibuskier2003 said:

I don't have pictures at my disposal right now, but I think I can describe what I did :lol:.  I took all the measurements off of another trailer at the boat shop.  I cut the step out of 1/4" plate, and welded the square tube support to the bottom of the plate.  Then I took a 8" piece of square tube (5" I believe) and split it vertically.  I welded  a hinge to the top and bottom of one side of the split piece and two tabs to the opposite side.  I drilled 3/8" holes in the tabs for a bolt.  I then welded the plate & vertical piece to the back of the split tube.  I also lined the inside of the tube with 1/4 rubber so it wouldn't scratch the original vertical tube on the trailer.  After confirming fit, I painted the step with a can of white paint from the auto store.  I'm actually surprised how close the color match is.  Technically, I can remove the step by removing one bolt but I've never been tempted to remove it.  The hardest part was cutting the funky curve in the top plate.  I'll check my computer at the house later for pictures.

Dave

Sweet, thank you! I might jack rig something with bolts as my welding skills are nonexistent. 

18 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Made my own too. Also used it to bolt the winch on all 4 corners to keep it from destroying itself. Common problem with winch mount plate bending due to being bolted on center line only.image.thumb.png.1422abf625e74e06df8c4ffdcf6a3843.pngimage.thumb.png.7eea689753ce859e1f2f7428156287ac.png

That looks amazing! I guess I need to learn how to weld!