Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Engines

Brianborder

Old press release below.   Note that it is says it could be as early as 2019.  Could be later model year if development takes longer. Have not heard of any specifics on whether to 2019 will see the new engine options.    Someone else may have more rumor details.  I do not.  

LOUDON, TN -- (Marketwired) -- 11/14/16 -- Malibu Boats, Inc. (NASDAQ: MBUU) today announced it has entered into an engine supply agreement with General Motors for the supply of engine blocks, which Malibu will marinize for use in its Malibu and Axis branded performance sports boats. The agreement, running through 2023, provides Malibu with the next significant opportunity for cohesive design and vertical integration allowing for superior quality, customization and performance in its Malibu and Axis branded boats. Malibu expects to begin using the engines as early as in its model year 2019 boats.

Edited by ORMailbuboater

Sounds like Malibu is still on track for rolling out their own engines in the 2019 model year. They talked about this quite a bit on the last earnings call and said they would begin using their own engines at some point in 2019 but didn't commit to a date.

They also mentioned they won't cut over 100% to the new engines at the start but will get to a point in the 2019 or 2020 model/fiscal years when all Malibu and Axis will be going out with their own engines.

• Like 1

They wont use the 5.7 block, they will use the 4.8/5.3 and the 6.0 from what we've heard. Malibu was pretty tight lipped about it even at the training. They did say that the performance was surpassing what they expected. We were also told that the motors will have a brand new water pump design. And for 2019 they will be in Malibus but Axis will still be using the PCM motors. 

Mercury Marine sounds like they hit a home run with their proprietary engines they recently launched. Hopefully Malibu does the same. 

I’m still surprised that it is cost effective for them to go this route. 

32 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

the H6 DI 6.2 motor with 450hp is impressive.

Is that what you have in your RI? I have a Silverado 1500 with the 6.2, and it's really impressed me from that standpoint. I also have some friends with a G23 and an H6, and that thing can push some serious weight around.

3 hours ago, RyanB said:

Mercury Marine sounds like they hit a home run with their proprietary engines they recently launched. Hopefully Malibu does the same. 

Difference is that Merc is actually casting blocks.  Malibu is using off the shelf GM marine engines - same ones that PCM is using

Anyone find it interesting that Malibu will be the Guinea Pig so to speak on their new motors? One might have thought they would start in Axis... Makes it very intriguing that they have something special in store for us...:biggrin: 

3 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Is that what you have in your RI? I have a Silverado 1500 with the 6.2, and it's really impressed me from that standpoint. I also have some friends with a G23 and an H6, and that thing can push some serious weight around.

yep..pushes with full ballast and lead. I heard the 6.2 DI gets better mileage in the 1500s than the 5.3.  the LS motors run like a swiss watch.

6 hours ago, RyanB said:

I hadn't heard of this so I searched a little, couldn't find much, but their 6.2l has a bore and stroke of 4.00" and 3.75".  Sounds suspiciously like an old school small block Chevy.  Wonder if Mercury is just making their own since GM doesn't produce them anymore? 

I found it interesting that they spec the displacement in liters, but the bore/stroke in inches.

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

I hadn't heard of this so I searched a little, couldn't find much, but their 6.2l has a bore and stroke of 4.00" and 3.75".  Sounds suspiciously like an old school small block Chevy.  Wonder if Mercury is just making their own since GM doesn't produce them anymore? 

I found it interesting that they spec the displacement in liters, but the bore/stroke in inches.

Both the 6.2 V8 and the 4.5 V6 are completely in-house.  

Specs are here.  https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/inboard-and-sterndrive/mercruiser/62l/#specifications

48 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Both the 6.2 V8 and the 4.5 V6 are completely in-house.  

Specs are here.  https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/inboard-and-sterndrive/mercruiser/62l/#specifications

Yea, that's the info I saw that lead me to believe it might be a reborn SBC.  I couldn't find a photo without all plastic covers, exhaust manifolds etc, to see what it really looks like.

Edited by MadMan
2 hours ago, MadMan said:

yeah the bore is the same but the stroke is longer. the traditional 350 small block has a bore of 4 inches and a stroke of 3.48 in 5.7L...jussayin..I hear you on all the covers and such. is it more of the traditional SB or the modern LS, or who knows what.

2 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

yeah the bore is the same but the stroke is longer. the traditional 350 small block has a bore of 4 inches and a stroke of 3.48 in 5.7L...jussayin..I hear you on all the covers and such. is it more of the traditional SB or the modern LS, or who knows what.

The 3.75" stroke crank is what every Chevy hot-rodder uses, not to mention it was the stroke of Indmar's hammerhead, and the Chevy 400 from the '70s.

35 minutes ago, MadMan said:

The 3.75" stroke crank is what every Chevy hot-rodder uses, not to mention it was the stroke of Indmar's hammerhead, and the Chevy 400 from the '70s.

true.

1 hour ago, carguy79ta said:

Isn't that just a crank change. If I recall, can't you also change the stroke by just changing the rod length? Seems weird, but I think that's the case. i didn't look at the specs, but  piston angle may be completely different in the more modern design?

Steve B.

9 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Isn't that just a crank change. If I recall, can't you also change the stroke by just changing the rod length? Seems weird, but I think that's the case. i didn't look at the specs, but  piston angle may be completely different in the more modern design?

Steve B.

Yep, just a crank change, got one in my boat.

9 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Steve B.

If you change the rod length you also have to change the stroke.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
44 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

If you change the rod length you also have to change the stroke.

This isn't necessarily true.  Some of the more common rod lengths with a 3.75" stroke SBC are 5.565", 5.7" and 6.0".  It's more that the pistons, rods and crankshaft stroke have to be selected together to match the blocks deck height.

Edited by MadMan
6 minutes ago, MadMan said:

This isn't necessarily true.  Some of the more common rod lengths with a 3.75" stroke SBC are 5.565", 5.7" and 6.0".  It's more that the pistons, rods and crankshaft stroke have to be selected together to match the blocks deck height.

Correct, there are various rod lengths. You have to match the stroke on the crank to the rod length.

His question was if you could just change rods without changing the stroke.

you can Change rod lgt but you would have to change out pistols for ones with diff pin height to match deck height.  like @MadMan has in his boat, 400 crank in a 350 block gives 383ci. you can use the stock 350 rods with diff pistons.  longer rods give a better thrust angle against the side of the block..FWIW

3 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

you can Change rod lgt but you would have to change out pistols for ones with diff pin height to match deck height.  like @MadMan has in his boat, 400 crank in a 350 block gives 383ci. you can use the stock 350 rods with diff pistons.  longer rods give a better thrust angle against the side of the block..FWIW

Yes, then you are going with aftermarket pistons as well. More complicated than simply changing out the rods like he asked.