Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

UV Protective Rash Guards

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

Hey crew, the wife is looking for something to wear that is UV protective. We have been browsing rash guards and have found a few options from O'Neil and other standard companies. But I figured I would reach out to see if anyone on here has any specific recommendations. She's concerned with how they breath and if they are too hot.

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I have a few volcom ones that I like they are pretty thin but any rash guard will be a little hot when its warm out. I still wear them when its hot though because one bad sunburn is one too many for me. 

Less sunscreen on the back makes the vinyl stay a little cleaner too.

I used rashguards, but I also use a cheap UV protective button up shirt from Walmart in the boat, as it is cooler, and found some cheapo long sleeve UV protective t's ( I think hanes) from target that work fine for skiing also.  I don't need them to say any surf brand names on them.

Wife likes in the boat a dry exofficio brand yellow or other color.  Sol cool model, long sleeve, women’s large, she’s a medium and therefore looser fitting and cooler though she said she wished even a little thinner

in water and in boat wet or dry she has a real cute short sleeve billabong 

have many as we do to choose from 

her bottoms are speedo bikini bottoms of various colors to match other tops or other rash guards,  speedo stay on in a fall better and stupid cute 

Edited by granddaddy55

I picked up a few of these for me at a local shop when they were on sale: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XPP21JR/

I liked the UPF part, but then my wife said "isn't any shirt, by definition, offering some sort of sun protection?" I didn't try arguing that point.

It looks like there are a bunch of options for the ladies: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Dakine+womens+rash+guard

• Like 1

Wife has a real nice glidesoul outfit but I don’t think they have rash guards, at best a .5 neoprene top or .5 mm shorty long sleeve 

A few years ago I bought an O'neill loose fit rash guard and have since added a couple more. Much more comfortable than tight fit -  quick dry and SPF 50+. 

I wear O'neill rash guards frequently while at the lake and on the boat.  Usually I wear a tight fitting compression style long sleeve one that's white in color.   I find that the tight fitting ones keep me cooler in the sun since it wicks the moisture off your skin and has a bit of an evaporative cooling effect on the same premise as Under Armour, it also does a good job blocking the UV rays since I hate wearing sunscreen.   As others have mentioned also, Glidesoul makes some pretty attractive styles for women, I keep trying to sell some to my wife but shes has yet to bite on the idea. :whistle:

Edited by APoko
  • Like 1

My wife tried the O'Neill but likes the Tesla brand better.  I also had O'Neil rash guard shirts and now like the Tesla better.  Be aware that sizing on rash guard shirts is all over the map.  O'Neil run very small (read tight) and Tesla just a bit small.  For reference, I am 5'8" and 150 and wear a L Tesla and XL O'Neil except for underwater (scuba) then I wear a L O'Neil.  Wife is 5'4" and 118 and curvy and she wears a S or M Tesla depending on her mood.