Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Tow Rig - Ordering Next Week

MustGoFast

On 3/3/2018 at 11:46 AM, RyanB said:

Pretty sure that this info was pulled out of his backside.......

1/2 right 1/2 wrong

https://www.consumerreports.org/extended-warranties/extended-car-warranties-an-expensive-gamble/

I need to now find the article about Fords repair avg cost being the or one of the lowest cost per repairs being why they may be the most dissatisfied extended warranty coverage 

On 3/3/2018 at 1:08 AM, Pra4sno said:

Source of these claims?  I'm genuinely curious.  

I have 2015 ECO 2.7

Have you heard anything other than one Ford customer I read possibly on this forum where his 15’ 2.7 kept cutting off while moving, with or without his auto off being on or off.  

Im sure there are problems but nothing that stopped the 2.7 from becoming Fords number one selling motor. 

I have a slight smell of anti freeze coming from front wheel well very occasionally . Over 16 months of ownership my coolant  level dropped below minimum .  Took it in for warranty service , 6 pressure test hours later , no issues no leaks.  I did smell it again the next day, I’ll have to monitor it.  This had been my only issue in 16000 miles 

50 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

1/2 right 1/2 wrong

https://www.consumerreports.org/extended-warranties/extended-car-warranties-an-expensive-gamble/

I need to now find the article about Fords repair avg cost being the or one of the lowest cost per repairs being why they may be the most dissatisfied extended warranty coverage 

That's from 2014 before ford even released the new motor and aluminum truck and ford isn't cited anywhere.

Most common repairs on these trucks have been turbos, new short blocks, transmissions, etc.  Big ticket replacements.  

I'm only following this up because if I had listened to this advice about cheap fixes and unsatisfied warranty customers I may not have got one.

Ive saved over 2800 in work only 5k miles out of the factory warranty and the peace of mind knowing I have another 60k or 6.5 years of coverage is well worth it. 

Edited by Pra4sno

so was yours  an early 3.5 EB, or later 2.7.  Have there been slot if 2.7 claims in manufacturers or extended warranties ??  So you saved $1000-1400 (28-cost of warranty purchase) or $2800?  

so was your repair $4200-1400?

if so you are right, if not then you are now possibly going to save money when something else breaks and yea you would be well ahead of the game 

no Ford not mentioned , but isn’t the development history of the 2.7 is they did multiple 100000 mile  tests on multiple degrees of proper and improper maintenance and the motor didn’t experience catastrophic or major break down 

still looking fir backup on lowest avg cost of repairs 

where is boss hog when you need him!

Edited by granddaddy55

Sounds like someone just wants to turn this into a brand war. Which I don’t think is fair to the OP, or what wanted the thread to be. 

Maybe I’m the only one, but I really don’t think Consumer Reports is credible on anything outside of appliances. And even then, that is giving them the benefit of the doubt they haven’t earned. 

5 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

so was yours  an early 3.5 EB, or later 2.7.  Have there been slot if 2.7 claims in manufacturers or extended warranties ??  So you saved $1000-1400 (28-cost of warranty purchase) or $2800?  

so was your repair $4200-1400?

if so you are right, if not then you are now possibly going to save money when something else breaks and yea you would be well ahead of the game 

no Ford not mentioned , but isn’t the development history of the 2.7 is they did multiple 100000 mile  tests on multiple degrees of proper and improper maintenance and the motor didn’t experience catastrophic or major break down 

still looking fir backup on lowest avg cost of repairs 

where is boss hog when you need him!

^This post is confusing.  

1.  I have a 2015 2.7 as said before.  

2.  I paid $1600 for an 8yr/100k which in my experience with Toyota, Honda, and now Ford is the lowest price ESP I've had. 

3.  Repairs have been expensive. 

-Transmisson rebuild at 38k: $3300

- Cargo lamp assembly: $500

- Aux trans pump replaced: $450

4.  Never heard of the testing you mention.  On the 3.5 they simulated hard use and high mileage but only actually did 30k miles or so over a few months and recorded it for marketing.

5.  It's a good truck.  Any newer truck I'd consider getting an ESP if I shopped around for one and got a good price with the cost of repairs.

Edited by Pra4sno

No worries on the thread jack - never owning a truck before made it interesting for me (the OP).

I found the comments on extended warranties interesting.  Personally, have never and will never buy one.  I've sold them before - Margin is typically 40-60% for a reason; IMO why pay that premium when you can self insure in the long run.  For me it really doesn't matter as I trade in my cars every 2-3 years so I pay no attention to resale (it's coded in the MF) reliability (everything reliable for the first 3 years these days) or cost of maintenance.  Maybe someday that will change, but for now my system works for me.

At this point I'm just waiting to see if the Silverado dealer can make the deal work.. Their offering invoice plus 2k in incentives but that's still WAY more expensive than the F150 also at invoice w/ $500 in incentives.  I need them to drop another $2500 below invoice to make it really interesting and I"m not sure they want to move the truck that bad yet.

13 minutes ago, MustGoFast said:

No worries on the thread jack - never owning a truck before made it interesting for me (the OP).

I found the comments on extended warranties interesting.  Personally, have never and will never buy one.  I've sold them before - Margin is typically 40-60% for a reason; IMO why pay that premium when you can self insure in the long run.  For me it really doesn't matter as I trade in my cars every 2-3 years so I pay no attention to resale (it's coded in the MF) reliability (everything reliable for the first 3 years these days) or cost of maintenance.  Maybe someday that will change, but for now my system works for me.

At this point I'm just waiting to see if the Silverado dealer can make the deal work.. Their offering invoice plus 2k in incentives but that's still WAY more expensive than the F150 also at invoice w/ $500 in incentives.  I need them to drop another $2500 below invoice to make it really interesting and I"m not sure they want to move the truck that bad yet.

Found similar results when buying our Expedition. Comparably equipped GM models were always higher.  

ahopkins22LSV

Are the trucks optioned similar? I assume he’s because you are working both dealers. I’m only asking because you basically have to buy a fully loaded ltz or high country trim package around here to touch Ford prices. Could just be our area though. 

6 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Are the trucks optioned similar? I assume he’s because you are working both dealers. I’m only asking because you basically have to buy a fully loaded ltz or high country trim package around here to touch Ford prices. Could just be our area though. 

Same options LTZ Z71 Redline vs F150 Lariat Sport Pack and Special Lariat edition both with a V8 both sticker from 58-60.

The difference comes down to a 3-4pt difference in residual and a 2% difference in interest rates... Hard to make that up in price when they are already both selling for invoice. (the residual makes up $40/mo & the interest $80/mo)  To match the same cost in the lease Chevy needs to nock the cost down by almost $3500 on the sell price which is WAY below their net cost (invoice - holdback)...  If I could get them within 30-40 I think I'd be open, but at 120 they can kiss it.

ahopkins22LSV

Are those trucks truly optioned similar? I thought the Lariat sport was kind of middle of the road for Ford. I could be way off on that because I don’t have their trim packages memorized and I always flip flop a few of them. Ltz z71 is optioned out for Chevy. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Are those trucks truly optioned similar? I thought the Lariat sport was kind of middle of the road for Ford. I could be way off on that because I don’t have their trim packages memorized and I always flip flop a few of them. Ltz z71 is optioned out for Chevy. 

Pretty much the same features although ford has yet another trim of crap to add

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

Pretty much the same features although ford has yet another trim of crap to add

Without knowing what trucks you are actually looking at, I think you need to really do a true comparison. Here is and "equally" priced ltz z71 and lariat sport. I say "equally" because both are shown with assumed employee discounts. IMO the Chevy has much more. To name a few, 6.2l, bucket seas, premium Bose sound, 22" wheels, lane assist, park assist, "intelli" headlamps, led fog lamps (crazy ford doesn't make this standard), power steps, and sunroof. 

Now I really don't care what you buy and don't take that personally just saying I think you may want to dive into this a bit more. And again, it could be completely different in your area. 

http://www.feldmanchevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2018-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LTZ_Z71-Lansing-MI/3165086503

http://www.shoptaylorford.net/new/Ford/2018-Ford-F-150-7b2d5cc80a0e0ae93fe69c20ad9d6085.htm?searchDepth=7:132

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@ahopkinsTXi I think he’s saying the lease program for an equally priced Chevy is more expensive. His beef is about residual values and money factors. 

Ah, I missed that. I figured he was buying because he said he was ordering a truck. Leasing is obviously a whole different ball game. 

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Dang... nice price... maybe I'll go take a look ;) It's even blue which is a requirement for my vehicles!

I know! That’s a sick truck. Too fancy for me though ;)

16 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

^This post is confusing.  

1.  I have a 2015 2.7 as said before.  

2.  I paid $1600 for an 8yr/100k which in my experience with Toyota, Honda, and now Ford is the lowest price ESP I've had. 

3.  Repairs have been expensive. 

-Transmisson rebuild at 38k: $3300

- Cargo lamp assembly: $500

- Aux trans pump replaced: $450

Your truck has a 5yr / 60k mike powertrain warranty. The transmission rebuild and trans pump should both qualify under that warranty. 

I don’t see why your extended warranty was needed for those repairs. 

What am I’m missing?

C4158DCF-C99E-4CD2-BDFF-A79CE81D9A0D.jpeg

56 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Your truck has a 5yr / 60k mike powertrain warranty. The transmission rebuild and trans pump should both qualify under that warranty. 

I don’t see why your extended warranty was needed for those repairs. 

What am I’m missing?

C4158DCF-C99E-4CD2-BDFF-A79CE81D9A0D.jpeg

I think his point is that if the truck has been that unreliable and expensive in the first 3 years that an extended warranty was an awesome idea, especially if it is transferable.  Conversely, Dodge had such a bad rep with transmissions that in 2009 they were giving away lifetime powertrain warranties and they haven't had to pay dime 1 on mine yet - go figure.

Edited by oldjeep
26 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I think his point is that if the truck has been that unreliable and expensive in the first 3 years that an extended warranty was an awesome idea, especially if it is transferable.  Conversely, Dodge had such a bad rep with transmissions that in 2009 they were giving away lifetime powertrain warranties and they haven't had to pay dime 1 on mine yet - go figure.

Correct

47 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Well then I’m confused because he also stated:

”Ive saved over 2800 in work only 5k miles out of the factory warranty”

Where’s the list of non-powertrain repairs that add up to $2,800?