Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surge to Electric Brakes - How would you?

MustGoFast

If someone wanted to convert their new trailer to using electronically controlled brakes rigged up to the trailer brake controller in the truck how might one go about that?

Yep my first truck and never looked at TBCs before!

I looked into full electric.  They needed to weld or bolt the tongue so it doesn't compress.  Remove my discs and put on drums.  I was quoted around $1000/axle.  I still have surge.

Edited by RyanB

Electric over hydraulic pump is about 600 and another 100 for a coupler, or just lockout the surge coupler with a bolt or weld. Nothong to do at the axles since that is still the existing hydraulic. 

Edited by oldjeep
9 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Interesting article on EOH brakes.

Their statement of cost is significantly higher than what was quoted above.

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2013/february/electric-over-hydraulic-brakes.asp

This is something I am interested in.  But not at $2000 +.

2k must be having someone install it for you. The one i converted years ago used a version of this https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actuator/Hydrastar/HBA16.html

Didnt need any sort of filter, prodigy had a setting for electric/hydraulic.  I didnt install a breakaway, but they are cheap.  This was on a twin axle car trailer fwiw

Edited by oldjeep

I had electric  brakes on a 5th wheel horse trailer years ago.  Too dependent on controller settings.  Did not like them.  Surge may have been bad in the past but better now.   I like the ones on my boat trailer.

Keep 'em.

50 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Have you taken delivery yet? Maybe check with your dealer and see if you can still add that option to your trailer. 

have not, didn't know it was an option - was curious if it was a common convert.

Sounds like the cost is something I'm never going to do (wasn't concerned I NEEDED it) -- but thought I wonder if I'll want to - since i"m going to end up custom ordering the new truck I don't think I'll tick the box for the EBC

25 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Interesting article on EOH brakes.

Their statement of cost is significantly higher than what was quoted above.

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2013/february/electric-over-hydraulic-brakes.asp

This is something I am interested in.  But not at $2000 +.

Thanks for the link Ryan - good read for me to learn more about how that works... agree w/ your $$ assessment.

9 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

I had electric  brakes on a 5th wheel horse trailer years ago.  Too dependent on controller settings.  Did not like them.  Surge may have been bad in the past but better now.   I like the ones on my boat trailer.

Keep 'em.

I've had electric on several utility trailers, as well as my 5th wheel.  

For boats, the advantage would be significant.  If I am launching my LSV with my Yukon XL, the boat has been known to pull the SUV down the ramp.  Would be much less likely to do so with some sort of electric. 

59 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I looked into full electric.  They needed to weld or bolt the tongue so it doesn't compress.  Remove my discs and put on drums.  I was quoted around $1000/axle.  I still have surge.

Can’t you keep disc brakes?  I believe they make kits for both.  Here is an example of one that is made for disc.

https://www.easternmarine.com/carlisle-hydrastar-brake-actuator-hba-16

Seems like if you do this DIY, you can convert your trailer for around $600

Edited by SCMike
1 minute ago, SCMike said:

Can’t you keep disc brakes?  I believe they make kits for both.  Here is an example of one that is made for disc.

https://www.easternmarine.com/carlisle-hydrastar-brake-actuator-hba-16

I was looking at full electric.  Not EOH.  And that was on my old boat trailer, so it was at least 4 years ago.  Maybe things have changed.

Honestly, that was part of the turn off.  I like my disc brakes.

1 minute ago, RyanB said:

I was looking at full electric.  Not EOH.  And that was on my old boat trailer, so it was at least 4 years ago.  Maybe things have changed.

Honestly, that was part of the turn off.  I like my disc brakes.

Agree, I’d never want to convert disc to drum.  Just seems dumb. 

27 minutes ago, MustGoFast said:

Sounds like the cost is something I'm never going to do (wasn't concerned I NEEDED it) -- but thought I wonder if I'll want to - since i"m going to end up custom ordering the new truck I don't think I'll tick the box for the EBC

If the option is cheap enough, just get it.  Selling point to the next owner.