Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Axis T22

engr11

1 hour ago, alpensurf23 said:

@engr11 Figured out my mistake I clicked propulsion on their description and it said 350. My bad...

I thought the numbers on the motors are the "torque" value, not HP.

@Choiceind I know that is how the number on the Ford engines on the Malibu’s work. I can’t seem to find anywhere that says the same for the crusader engines. In my limited research last night, it looks like most dealers spec this at 350 hp but when you go to a 2018 I am seeing most saying 410 hp. Not sure what to think here. 

16 hours ago, RyanB said:

I don't know that hull.  Or what crew you are going to take.  350 HP would not be enough in my LSV at 5400' (Horsetooth?).  The T22 is quite a bit smaller/lighter.

I am not sure who you are working with at Tommy's, but if I were you, I would tell them your concerns about the motor/elevation/performance.  If you go forward with the purchase, I would suggest that you make it contingent to an acceptable on-water demo.  It will take them at least a week to get the boat here.  I am not sure when Horsetooth opens, but I know that they have done demo/deliveries down at Pueblo in March.  And find a way to take as many folks with you as you can to properly weight the boat to mimic your use.  That would protect you if the boat doesn't perform as expected.

Tommy's had an incredible boat show, and sold a ton of new boats in Colorado.  Pretty sure Michigan just had a show as well.  And they just picked up Skiers Pier in Michigan.  They have to have more boats coming in on trade.  My boat came in from Florida (from Tommy's).  

If this isn't the right boat, another one will come in.  When you are spending that type of cash, you don't want to have buyers remorse.  

So to the OP -- you are going to be FINE with that engine.  Finally in 2017 Malibu started sending the 409 (base pcm 6.0 GM engine) with the stepped down 1.72 transmission (for 15 and 16 they bizarrely didn't offer the stepped down tranny with that motor).  That drivetrain is really the best value proposition axis has EVER offered for that boat.

To those wondering whether the boat has enough motor, I will humbly suggest you are talking out your butts.  A 17 axis has three potential motors... the 409 (as in the op's boat), the 450, and the LSA.  I'm assuming we'll all agree that putting an LSA in a T22, while fun to armchair dyno, would be an absolutely stupid waste of money that nobody would ever get back on resale.  In fact I challenge you to find an axis in the wild with a supercharged motor.  They just don't exist.  I mean I'm sure there must be one somewhere, just like there must be a 2010 malibu with the ls7 ( @Nitrousbird do I have that right?) but practically speaking, nope, not worth holding out for that boat to pop up on the used market.

So that brings you to the 409 or the 450.  Go look at the CARB data and lemme know whether you think the difference between those two 6.0L GM motors is worth it (hint: nope).  

I have a T22 with the 450, but only because it's a 16 and I couldn't get the engine/tranny combo that the OP is getting in this "base" model.

(please don't quote this e-mail back to me when I go to sell my boat... my 450 is going to be worth a poop-ton of upgrade points at resale!)

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 3
25 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

In fact I challenge you to find an axis in the wild with a supercharged motor.  They just don't exist. 

Challenge accepted! Only because I know the local pro here orders an axis with the SC motor every year. 

And yes, if he was getting Joe Shmoe pricing he would be getting killed even more on resale. But at least he quit ordering yellow boats! 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Challenge accepted! Only because I know the local pro here orders an axis with the SC motor every year. 

And yes, if he was getting Joe Shmoe pricing he would be getting killed even more on resale. But at least he quit ordering yellow boats! 

Confirmation White Unicorns do still exist! :rockon:

@alpensurf23 thanks for the offer I think I am going to stick with Tommy’s since they are local to me and my goal here is to stay under $65000. Thanks everyone for all the input I did a FaceTime walk through of the boat today and had the guy look into every nook and cranny and the Boat is really clean minus the scratch on the rear end which turns out isn’t as bad as it looks and Tommy’s is going to work with me on it. As for the Boat being demo/rent the warranty on the boat is still good for 4.5 years and covers everything a new warranty would so I have some protection on that end. 

• Like 2

@shawndoggy though you can find an LS7 is something other than the Z06 Corvette boat (which is quite rare itself), I've only seen one - a member here with one in his Canadian VTX.  I believe it was a custom, one off deal that wasn't actually a normally available option. So you would be more likely (though very rare) to find a LSA in an Axis.

As to the OP, the 409 should be fine.  It has always been an under rated motor.  I'm all for an upgraded motor but would be fine with a 409.