Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Axis T22

engr11

Hey everyone! I have been to this forum multiple times for information and this is my first post. I have a deposit down on a 2017 T22 dealer demo. I have been going back and forth on pulling the trigger on it or not and it doesn’t help the Boat is in Michigan and I am in Colorado. Anyways, just wondering if anyone had some pointers on what to keep an eye out for on these boats and if this is a good deal or not. Here is the link to the boat I am looking at http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2017-axis-t22-103136330

Thanks for the help!

Edited by engr11

Thanks for the responses! I trust Tommy’s for sure I just think the one corner with the scratches will drive me nuts. Has anyone had something like this repaired before and how did it turn out?

4 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

How many hours are on it and what is the elevation of your water?

That link said 113 hrs.

That price just seems ok. How much more is it to step up to an 18 with the new hull and pw2? If it’s only a few thousand I would probably lean that way. 

@engr11 My dealer Idaho Water Sports has this one with the bigger motor. At altitude such as ours a lil more motor with gear reduction goes a long way. It also might be closer. Has less hours as well.

2017 Axis T22 Blue Metallic2017 Axis T22 Blue Metal Flake Window Sticker.webloc

Edited by alpensurf23

Tommy's is a fantastic dealer, and will take care of you.

As far as that boat, my concern would be with the engine.  In my mind, 350 HP will be marginal at best for our elevation.  Honestly, there are times I feel under powered with the 450 HP in my LSV.  If you ever go on mountain trips, I think you will want more power.

• Like 1

My friend had a 15' A22 with 350 and it surfed but burned a lot of gas doing so at your/our altitudes.  What are you looking to do with it?

Edited by alpensurf23

@alpensurf23 I cannot seem to open the link you provided but Tommy's was offering up free delivery so the distance was not an issue.  I would have to say 50-50 between wakeboard and surf.  @That Guy I will confirm with my dealer tomorrow if this was a rental vs. demo,  if it was a rental I would be a little concerned since it has 113 hours of the "not my boat" mentality driven on it. 

@engr11 Sorry not a computer whiz at all. Check out idahowatersports.com and hit used boats. A client of theirs traded up so very clean 2017 T22, 85 hours,  409 motor, metal flake blue and white, Listed $69995.00 

Edited by alpensurf23
8 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

@engr11 Sorry not a computer whiz at all. Check out idahowatersports.com and hit used boats. A client of theirs traded up so very clean 2017 T22, 85 hours,  409 motor, metal flake blue and white, Listed $69995.00 

Here you go:

https://idahowatersports.com/inventory/2017-axis-t22-blue-metallic/

• Like 1

@alpensurf23 I might be missing something, but is that 409 engine on your dealers Boat not the same engine as the Boat I’m looking at? At least it looks similar from the pictures of each engine. 

1 minute ago, engr11 said:

@alpensurf23 I might be missing something, but is that 409 engine on your dealers Boat not the same engine as the Boat I’m looking at? At least it looks similar from the pictures of each engine. 

You are correct, both boats have the 409. Didn’t the 409 become the base engine option for axis in 17? 

3 minutes ago, engr11 said:

Yes you have the 409 my apologies i thought I read 350 somewhere.... in any case one owner boat not demo or rental.

2 minutes ago, engr11 said:

@Pnwrider thanks! My dealer told me there was still about 4.5 years left on the warranty but didn’t clarify if the engine was covered or not. 

It could be different since Malibu uses indmar and axis uses crusader, but worth verifying. 

18 minutes ago, engr11 said:

@engr11 Figured out my mistake I clicked propulsion on their description and it said 350. My bad...

Edited by alpensurf23

I do recall reading somewhere on the crusader engines (not sure if it was a credable source or not) that the monsoon 409 is really 350 hp and the monsoon 350 was something like 315 hp I’m sure someone can correct me on this. 

54 minutes ago, engr11 said:

Do you think it will be under powered at the 5400’ or only if I go much higher?

I don't know that hull.  Or what crew you are going to take.  350 HP would not be enough in my LSV at 5400' (Horsetooth?).  The T22 is quite a bit smaller/lighter.

I am not sure who you are working with at Tommy's, but if I were you, I would tell them your concerns about the motor/elevation/performance.  If you go forward with the purchase, I would suggest that you make it contingent to an acceptable on-water demo.  It will take them at least a week to get the boat here.  I am not sure when Horsetooth opens, but I know that they have done demo/deliveries down at Pueblo in March.  And find a way to take as many folks with you as you can to properly weight the boat to mimic your use.  That would protect you if the boat doesn't perform as expected.

Tommy's had an incredible boat show, and sold a ton of new boats in Colorado.  Pretty sure Michigan just had a show as well.  And they just picked up Skiers Pier in Michigan.  They have to have more boats coming in on trade.  My boat came in from Florida (from Tommy's).  

If this isn't the right boat, another one will come in.  When you are spending that type of cash, you don't want to have buyers remorse.  

• Like 1