Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 A24 Ballast Set Ups and Results

alpensurf23

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, after lurking for several months I finally pulled the trigger on a new A24! Picking her up this weekend.

It has full pnp with the 900 lb bags in the rear. I also have the power wedge and a bunch lead so I'll have some boat and wakeboard wake pictures this week.  

Just now, Plilernator said:

Alright guys, after lurking for several months I finally pulled the trigger on a new A24! Picking her up this weekend.

It has full pnp with the 900 lb bags in the rear. I also have the power wedge and a bunch lead so I'll have some boat and wakeboard wake pictures this week.  

Heck yeah man! Post up some pictures of your boat! I would love to see it

• 1 month later...

A little video from my weekend behind our 2018 A24. Full stock tanks, floating wedge, plus 825lb PnP in the rear and 650lb PnP in the bow with 3 people in the boat as you can see in the video. I like my speed right around 10.8-11mph. I also tried an 800lb sac in the walkway as far forward as I could get it and did not notice a difference in the wave. 

Edited by CBray4
  • Like 3
  • 7 months later...

Finally got my '18 A24 out this past weekend.  Despite some engine troubles, got a chance to take a look at the wave.  Had a couple questions...

* It came with no bow ballast, I put in the Wakemakers custom - pretty easy job.

* The dealer put in 650's in the rear lockers - the standard Sumo sacs.  Don't seem ideal - was planning on doing the Wakemakers 865# custom sacs.

* I will add some lead to balance things out.

Here is my question...  the rear Sumo's seem to be using a smaller diameter hose than the bow bag.  I was under the impression that all of the A24's were hi-flow.  The bow clearly is hi-flow.  I have not dug around enough to see if someone put in a step-down on the hose.

Shouldn't the rear be hi-flow tubing as well?  Looks like 3/4" tubing - is that what they are calling hi-flow in the rear?  Curious if anyone has run into this before.  

On 5/6/2019 at 7:44 AM, daylorb said:

Finally got my '18 A24 out this past weekend.  Despite some engine troubles, got a chance to take a look at the wave.  Had a couple questions...

* It came with no bow ballast, I put in the Wakemakers custom - pretty easy job.

* The dealer put in 650's in the rear lockers - the standard Sumo sacs.  Don't seem ideal - was planning on doing the Wakemakers 865# custom sacs.

* I will add some lead to balance things out.

Here is my question...  the rear Sumo's seem to be using a smaller diameter hose than the bow bag.  I was under the impression that all of the A24's were hi-flow.  The bow clearly is hi-flow.  I have not dug around enough to see if someone put in a step-down on the hose.

Shouldn't the rear be hi-flow tubing as well?  Looks like 3/4" tubing - is that what they are calling hi-flow in the rear?  Curious if anyone has run into this before.  

The only 3/4 hose is the auto-vent/overflow line that plugs in top of bag. The lines at both end of the bag that actually fill and drain the bag into and out of the hard tank is 1&1/8" hose.

1 hour ago, st22eve said:

The only 3/4 hose is the auto-vent/overflow line that plugs in top of bag. The lines at both end of the bag that actually fill and drain the bag into and out of the hard tank is 1&1/8" hose.

Interesting - thanks.  Wonder why they would vent the rear with 3/4, and the bow vents are the larger size?  That helps - appreciate it.

On 5/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, daylorb said:

Interesting - thanks.  Wonder why they would vent the rear with 3/4, and the bow vents are the larger size?  That helps - appreciate it.

Its because the rear hard tanks have a 3/4 fitting for there overflow and they use a 3/4 check valve that T's into the hard tank overflow off the rear bags. The front bag is it's own entity so they just run the bigger line to the 1&1/8 through hole to vent/overflow fitting. At least that's my theory 🤷🏼‍♂️

Still playing around but have found slamming everything full and hitting the correct button makes for a lot of fun.

Surfing between 11.2-11.7 and wakeboard around 20-22.

Edited by jm8574
15 hours ago, st22eve said:

Its because the rear hard tanks have a 3/4 fitting for there overflow and they use a 3/4 check valve that T's into the hard tank overflow off the rear bags. The front bag is it's own entity so they just run the bigger line to the 1&1/8 through hole to vent/overflow fitting. At least that's my theory 🤷🏼‍♂️

Makes sense - new 850's on the way.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished installing the Wakemakers custom fit bags - and they fit perfectly.  So I've got all the additional PNP in the rear, center, bow.  I have 6 50 lb lead bags on the pax side/under the glove box, will play with moving them around.

Surf wave is amazing without anyone in the boat, 11.2-11.7 is the range, wedge on 3-4 seems to give it better shape.  

I'd say it is a good bit larger and longer than my old '13 LSV with surfgate (which was a great wave).  

Excited for the season!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 11:58 AM, wakedncsu said:

I know two others with longer boats.  One is a 25LSV and one with a 24MXZ that both say they don't sack out just the back lockers, but add weight midship as well.

You are correct. I run with 800 in the rears and 1000 pound right in the middle of the boat and wedge on 2. Insanely long and powerful waves are the results. 11 mph is about perfect. I adjust the 1000 pound bag according to the people on board. If I have more than 6 people in the main compartment, I’ll throw someone up in the bow too. It just gets better.