Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 A24 Ballast Set Ups and Results

alpensurf23

Cbray4 happy you are getting out on the new boat. What happened to the wake around 53 seconds. Looked like it cleaned up a lot. I've never had ski boat so I'm am totally trying to learn and understand how to build a good wave and what contistutes a good wave.  We are a small family of 4 and plan to get the big wakemaker bags too. 

42 minutes ago, goatv said:

Cbray4 happy you are getting out on the new boat. What happened to the wake around 53 seconds. Looked like it cleaned up a lot. I've never had ski boat so I'm am totally trying to learn and understand how to build a good wave and what contistutes a good wave.  We are a small family of 4 and plan to get the big wakemaker bags too. 

That’s awesome man! There are plenty of people to help you on here. Feel free to PM me with questions if you need to. No question is a dumb question. 

I think that is when I had the driver slow down .2mph to 10.8mph. 

This trip we just filled everything and tried it. The water is still to cold for me to spend time fine tuning. 

4 hours ago, goatv said:

Power wedge 2 would clean that wave right up! Sorry, someone had to say it :blush:

• Like 2
On 4/6/2018 at 11:45 PM, Pnwrider said:

Power wedge 2 would clean that wave right up! Sorry, someone had to say it :blush:

We got pw2, and a ronix blender for first surfboard. Should be a season full of bloopers.  

Meh... power wedge doesnt really help "clean" the wave. it just makes it tall (and will crumble easier) so you speed up or shorter and flatter so you slow down.

We have an A24 with pw2 and we run its 4/5 most of the time, thats basically like dropping the floating wedge.

Pw2 is a totally must if you are a pro wakeboarder and need the lift mode

Im pretty sure lift mode is only for wakeboard speeds too 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

Meh... power wedge doesnt really help "clean" the wave. it just makes it tall (and will crumble easier) so you speed up or shorter and flatter so you slow down.

We have an A24 with pw2 and we run its 4/5 most of the time, thats basically like dropping the floating wedge.

Pw2 is a totally must if you are a pro wakeboarder and need the lift mode

Im pretty sure lift mode is only for wakeboard speeds too 

Somewhat disagree here. I’ve had no wedge , manual wedge , PW1, PW2

the power wedge (1 or 2)  gives that adjustability at different speeds for different riders. Where as the floating wedge is in a fixed position and only adjustments are speed and listing slightly in either direction.

speed may be the driving force to what will clean up that wave, but 2-3 clicks up on the same set up with a little more speed would produce a taller more powerful wave.

• Like 2

that is shape not cleanliness of the wave. 

You could run wedge on 4/5 and have a crumbly wave... and going to 2-3 is not cleaning it up, its just making it smaller, where  as speeding up .2 does minimal to the size of the wave. At a certain point yes speed does make it smaller but also longer. 

I dont think so surfing the wedge being adjustable to 6 positions makes as much of a difference as having lift mode and setting it to only 2-3 like it does for wakeboarding. 

I also dont think people adjust speed that much for different rides? A beginner surfing isnt going to do better at 8mph vs 10.8 .... while a beginner def does not need to go 23mph wakeboarding vs 18. At least i think so?  

Edited by agarabaghi
  • Like 2

@agarabaghi speed can depend on size of rider and speed might just have more to do with them getting the hang of it brother. Example there is a big difference teaching a child than a adult. You go 10.8 out the gate wedge 3/4 that kid will be crying to go home in no time. A slower speed and no wedge might be the answer. Another example would be a large adult might also do better at a lower speed and increased wedge than your average adult. They need that taller, stronger wake to keep them in the sweet spot. I've taught many and find the power wedge worth its weight in gold for the diversity in riders. Not to mention styles. :cheers: 

I totally get the pw2 being a huge factor and my next boat will totally have one. I just find it more useful as wakeboarding tool than a surfing tool. Cbray can still remove the wedge and have a small wave for someone who wants to go slow. I just personally think 10mph is about as slow as anyone would go? I dunno maybe i havent had enough super young kids out, but at a certain point they are either riding with someone or old enough to handle 10mph. A large adult getting the hang of it i personally feel needs a strong but mellow wave, a tall wave is going to very steep and cause them to slip out more. Youll find that a longer less steep wave will help them keep the find and edge of the surfer in the wave and not having half the board floating out the side of a wave will be much easier for them. Both of those riders mentioned above would prob be a case where cbray could just pull his wedge up and use ballast and tabs.... 

Im just trying to say that the lack of a pw2 will not totally ruin his ability to teach people and change his wave shape, he just might a wet sleeve on his tshirt from raising the wedge a few times and lowering it that day

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

he just might a wet sleeve on his tshirt from raising the wedge a few times and lowering it that day

hahaha Literally already happened! I have long freaking arms and I am in up to my shoulder to bring that thing back up. It was hilarious the first time.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

hahaha Literally already happened! I have long freaking arms and I am in up to my shoulder to bring that thing back up. It was hilarious the first time.

A lot easier psychologically doing when the motor is off. Like sticking your hand down the kitchen garbage disposal..

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

A lot easier psychologically doing when the motor is off. Like sticking your hand down the kitchen garbage disposal..

Prop doesn't bother me, I know it is way up under there. But the exhaust bubbling up between the platform and the transom/trap door definitely gets me a little more wet than I should be. 

40 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

Prop doesn't bother me, I know it is way up under there. But the exhaust bubbling up between the platform and the transom/trap door definitely gets me a little more wet than I should be. 

Not to mention oxygen starved..

Just now, alpensurf23 said:

Not to mention oxygen starved..

Nahhh... Who needs oxygen... I am in Oklahoma... The land of rollin coal. I just need that diesel VLX or whatever it was that was making its rounds a few weeks ago to fit in. 

14 hours ago, Stevo said:

I just typed out like a long 3 paragraph response, but deleted it Because in reality DRGAF, 

All im saying here is the 1 box that should have been checked wasn’t. 

At least we know he is smarter than all of us by having the friends / brother with the boat and not owning one himself ;)

I would gladly put up $150-175 a weekend  for me snd wife if I knew I was going to be invited all the time.

leave water go home with no cleaning or chores other than boat wipe down (might pay more to skip that).

round here the problem was most owners were clicky and sort of boat snobs, I had to buy one just to go behind one.  Outboard with no platform was great for slalom but limited for other.

i just bought the cheapest new boat available with surf gear, now I go more than possibly anybody in the state

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 1 month later...

Now that everyone has had their boats for a bit, what setup? I’m running full plug and play, pw2 at 4 at 11.7 mph. It that too fast? Seems most people r going closer to 11mph. 

pw2 at 4 seems aggressive but maybe the speed is helping.

Surf - pw2 at 2 or 3, 10.8 - 11.2 / full pnp ballest / and 37 x 50lbs a of lead 

Wake - pw2 at 3 22.5mpg full pnp / and 37x50lbs of lead

Edited by agarabaghi

I thought I was impressive with 500#’s, 1850!!! Wow , how many that move around and how many snd where are permanently stowed?

are you listing, listing heavy  or barging it?

Edited by granddaddy55