Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 A24 Ballast Set Ups and Results

alpensurf23

Figure it's time to start this thread. What are people's thoughts from say demos, plans for your A24, and let's SEE the results. " SEEING IS BELIEVING" and an invaluable tool to help dial it in. :rockon:

I will definitely contribute when we get our boat... As for now, I will learn from other peoples mistake/successes. 

I will say we kept the sacs from our last boat that we are going to experiment with. So we will have 2 400lb, 2 150lb, and 1 800lb sacs to play with. 

Will be interesting to test out different set ups

• Like 1

We sacked our Demo several ways but do to our altitude 6000' our weak link was the prop. I had the same experience initially with my previous boats. My plan is to start  more conservative with stock ballast , 750s in rear and 200lbs of wake ballast bags to move around. I want to really utilize the Powerwedge. We will be starting with an Acme 2755 prop with .105 cup, less cup than the stock high altitude 2753 prop with .150 cup.  Stay tuned and get ready for some pics.

Edited by alpensurf23
2 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

We sacked our Demo several ways but do to our altitude 6000' our weak link was the prop. I had the same experience initially with my previous boats. My plan is to start  more conservative with stock ballast , 750s in rear and 200lbs of wake ballast bags to move around. I want to really utilize the Powerwedge. We will be starting with a Acme 2755 prop with .105 cup, less cup than the stock high altitude 2753 prop with .150 cup.  Stay tuned and get ready for some pics.

Heck yeah! We ordered the torque prop with our boat but we dont have any elevation issues. Our lake sits at right around 600ft i believe. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

Heck yeah! We ordered the torque prop with our boat but we dont have any elevation issues. Our lake sits at right around 600ft i believe. 

Yep the 2755 is just the start and will be one of several we now have in mind after talking with Acme. Thanks for reminding me we are 10x higher.... What a long strange trip it's gonna be....:partytime: 

2 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Yep the 2755 is just the start and will be one of several we now have in mind after talking with Acme. Thanks for reminding me we are 10x higher.... What a long strange trip it's gonna be....:partytime: 

Where are you at?

5 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

We refer to it as WYDAHO. We have a lil of Wyoming and Idaho in our valley beneath Mountains they call the Tetons. Not far from the known Jackson Hole. Ever swam with a Moose? :shocked:

It is my dream to make it up to that part of the country! I have always wanted to snowboard Jackson Hole! My brother actually got to go up there just a few weeks ago, he said it was nuts. 

I live in Oklahoma but I moved to Colorado a few years ago to work on the slopes and ride everyday. That was a fun season of life. Before marriage and responsibility of course! haha

If you ever make it down here to Oklahoma you should hit me up!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Red17A24 said:

We are getting the 2755 prop.   I think we are putting 825 lbs sacs in each rear and  625 lbs sac in the bow.    

I think that is what my dealer will put in ours as well

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CBray4 said:

Dealer said he is putting in 750's in the rear and either a 625 or 650 in the bow. 

Ask them for the 825's. They are the wakemakers customs that will fit perfectly in there. I used the fly high 750s in my '14 and they are not the right shape. This limits the fill a bit and causes pinch points.

2 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Ask them for the 825's. They are the wakemakers customs that will fit perfectly in there. I used the fly high 750s in my '14 and they are not the right shape. This limits the fill a bit and causes pinch points.

My dealer is a Ronix dealer so they are using the Ronix bags I guess. We will see how it all works out.

Moving from a shorter boat to a 2016 A24, I learned these longer boats need midship ballast.  My wake was never as good slamming the back heavy and balancing it out on the bow.  I run 750's in the rear,  400 midship with lead, bow bag + an extra 400 in the walkway under the filler seat.  It sin't completely full.  The 750's usually are completely full either.  I also use the wedge.  Not sure how the 18's are going to shape up, but I KNOW you need weight in the middle of the boat.  Don't just slam the back.  

1 hour ago, CBray4 said:

Yeah I'm sure that is what they are putting in there. So I guess the bow bag is a horseshoe to go around the batteries?

yup.

1 hour ago, wakedncsu said:

Moving from a shorter boat to a 2016 A24, I learned these longer boats need midship ballast.  My wake was never as good slamming the back heavy and balancing it out on the bow.  I run 750's in the rear,  400 midship with lead, bow bag + an extra 400 in the walkway under the filler seat.  It sin't completely full.  The 750's usually are completely full either.  I also use the wedge.  Not sure how the 18's are going to shape up, but I KNOW you need weight in the middle of the boat.  Don't just slam the back.  

with the powerwedge its a bit different since we run it at 2 and 3 if u have more weight up front though 

14 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

yup.

with the powerwedge its a bit different since we run it at 2 and 3 if u have more weight up front though 

I know two others with longer boats.  One is a 25LSV and one with a 24MXZ that both say they don't sack out just the back lockers, but add weight midship as well.

the 2 A24s we are running we run full stock ballast + pnp. On top of that 1100 on floor in the back and 17 leadwake 50lbs bags in the nose / under the other seats spread out. 

Im talking about wakeboard wakes not surf waves though.

20 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

the 2 A24s we are running we run full stock ballast + pnp. On top of that 1100 on floor in the back and 17 leadwake 50lbs bags in the nose / under the other seats spread out. 

Im talking about wakeboard wakes not surf waves though.

Would be great to see a pic of your boat on water slammed(weighted) as sounds.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

First surf behind the new boat. Stock tanks full plus PNP(825's in rear and 625 in bow), floating wedge down going 11mph to start and dropping to 10.8mph when I tell driver to drop 2. Definitely going to have to get used to the new wave. Sweet spot is further back than the old boat for sure!

https://flic.kr/p/25Tok4r

Edited by CBray4
  • Like 3
25 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

First surf behind the new boat. Stock tanks full plus PNP(825's in rear and 625 in bow), floating wedge down going 11mph to start and dropping to 10.8mph when I tell driver to drop 2. Definitely going to have to get used to the new wave. Sweet spot is further back than the old boat for sure!

https://flic.kr/p/25Tok4r

"Adult Content"

I like it.