Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

20' wakesetter vtx

islanders

20 hours ago, islanders said:

Interested in buying a 2015 20' wakesetter vtx. I am a skier first. Any warranty issues or other comments on this boat? Thank You Islander

I purchased a 2014 VTX a while back as a primary water skier that got hooked on wake-surfing I came from a 2007 Mastercraft Prostar 197 and a 1995 Prostar 205 before that.

Couple of my initial impressions as far as defects I have had a few with the boat, Screen Delamination,  gear shift start location, and Malibu cruse problem. All were fixed under warranty thankfully.

The best reliable boat i had was the 1995 205 when i sold it had 1800hrs on it with little to no problems. Mainly because the boat was so simple, the new boats are not that way, they have way better convene and features however with that complexity comes potential issues.

Overall I have been very happy with the VTX solves the compromise between skiing and surfing as best as possible. Did the Mastercraft's ski better yes, did they surf well no. Did they carry a large group of people well no. I think the biggest thing to look for is electronics all operating correctly as they are unique parts that are very expensive to replace out of warranty.

Any of the 2013-2015 VTX's would be be good candidates the two things 2015 has going for them are the 5 year warranty vs 3 year on 2014 and the lift feature on the power wedge. When I was looking years back it was very hard to find 2015's not sure if the production slowed down in 2015 due to the new model for 2016 or what but it was much easier to find a left over 2014 with what I wanted. 

Happy to discuss more as I went through the transition it looks like you are doing a while ago. 

2015's have the Power Wedge 2, and clamps on the tower instead of the screws/knobs. Other than that I don't think anything changed on the '15 from the '14.  

That's great  to thank you asp13 and Steve B.. Do you have one? I had the idea of putting weight in bow to make wake smaller.or softer. Anybody have thoughts in electronics being last year of 5 before electronics where changed

11 minutes ago, islanders said:

That's great  to thank you asp13 and Steve B.. Do you have one? I had the idea of putting weight in bow to make wake smaller.or softer. Anybody have thoughts in electronics being last year of 5 before electronics where changed

What I've noticed is that there is not much impact on the ski wake filling or partially filling the bow tank of my 2012 unless I have a couple people sitting in the back seat.

16 hours ago, dinovtx said:

Any of the 2013-2015 VTX's would be be good candidates the two things 2015 has going for them are the 5 year warranty vs 3 year on 2014 and the lift feature on the power wedge.

I don't think they went to 5 year warranty until the 2016 model year.  I have a 2015 and believe I only have a 3 year warranty.

I too came from a MC Prostar. Mine was a 1995 190. The course skiing in the MC was better yes but my 2013 20 VTX does ok as well.  Since I don't course ski as much as I used to -lake harder to get to- the VTX was the perfect boat I was looking for. I do the course when I can, open water is perfectly fine. Surf's decent for a 20 footer and fits in my garage. We do not have a large group so it suits our needs. Demo is best if you can as everyone has different likes and dis-likes.

I had to go long distance to find one I wanted. Drove to and pulled home over 900 miles.

Happy hunting!!

7 hours ago, Badger said:

I don't think they went to 5 year warranty until the 2016 model year.  I have a 2015 and believe I only have a 3 year warranty.

Good to know Badger thought they went to it in 2015 but you would know better than I would. 

17 hours ago, islanders said:

As far as the last year of the old electronics they still have everything I was/am looking for.  Only thing that I don't like about the 2014 electronics is the inability to have engine RPM and Speed up at the same time. 

Fuel level is always low because I hate carrying gas cans!  Probably less than a quarter tank.

A friend on the lake runs his 2016 VTX with the wedge in the "lift" position.  I haven't had a change to ski it yet nor do I have the cajones to push past the alarm and try it myself on my boat.