Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 hammerhead 350 help and info please

ubugarrity

We have a 2002 Barefooter that hasn't run since purchase. After people have looked it over and researched, they came up with its a hammerhead 383 with a plain 350 block. so we either change computer to match block or block to match computer.  I've come to learn that in 2002 it wasn't a 383 but a 350. So instead of closer to a solution, we are further away. So it's possible that a 383 block was installed by mistake. Now I have no idea. Can anyone tell me as much info on the 2002 hammerhead 350 365HP as they can? Is it Indmar? Is it a regular 350 block? Things I can look for without taking it apart? Any replacement options such as the correct Long Block or even a turn key engine. Any info at all would be appreciated as we can't afford any more research being done that won't help.

According to Malibu (HUll number MB2Y9436E202) the engine ID is IC989031

John

Edited by ubugarrity

I just heard back from Indmar:

That engine is a standard Indmar/Malibu Hammerhead which essentially is a standard 5.7L block that had the heads and cam changed. The heads we used were GM Performance "Fast Burn" aluminum heads and the cam was a GM P/N 10185071. 

We do not build that engine anymore but you could just purchase a standard GM 5.7L marine block from one of the suppliers out there and reuse the heads and cam from your old engine. If your heads and cam are damaged, they are available on the internet.

So I can get back to the dealers and see if this helps and how much. 

Any suggestions on a turnkey engine that would just bolt up with no mods at all and close to 400HP as possible? Price range? Even if we figure out what is in this engine and what we need to do, doesn't mean that there aren't  other issues with it. 

We need to get a price on getting it running or selling it as is and cutting our losses.

What exactly is wrong with it? Is the engine damaged? Is the computer no-good?

First thing:

1 - Determine if the computer is the OEM correct computer originally on the boat when built.

2 - If it the computer is correct. Check that it's functioning correctly.

3 - Check your motor with the information above. It likely matches up.

4 - Compression and Leakdown test the motor. That should give you a good idea of whether or not it will run, at least minimally.

5 - If all of the above checks out, then start with the basics of troubleshooting a no-start/no-run.

At the end of the day, if something is wrong with the motor, the least expensive option is removing it and having it rebuilt.

Edited by boardjnky4

Thanks for all the info!

It runs but terrible. Useless for our needs. Two years of diagnostics and a lot of money and still being told we need a long block. I like the Michigan Motorz option. Rebuilding it at this point is too open ended. Who knows what going on inside and what components are an issue. Unfortunately we don't know what was going on before we bought it. We need to sell it as is and cut our losses or get a hard number to make it useful. I would be afraid to even buy a used setup at this point. 

I'll give Michigan motorz a call as see what they suggest. 

Thanks!

So Michigan right away thought it was a 383. They aren't familiar with the 350 Hammerhead and don't have anything  Turn Key that would just bolt in without  modifications. Any other suggestions or ideas? Without a hard number to replace the engine, I think we need to sell as is. Any offers?

I found another site that sells dressed marine long blocks for a decent price. It should bolt right up because all 350/383 Chevy's have the same motor mounts. You would just have to add your transmission and accessories.

https://blueprintengines.com/collections/marine-engines/products/marine-383-1

Edited by roeboat
  • Like 2

Another update. I'm being told by dealer that even a Turn Key would need all new gauges and harnesses, exhaust modification and possibly engine mount issues. It is a team boat so we need to decide to fix it ( need a hard number) or sell as is. We already have a ton of money into it and unfortunately it will be a big loss to sell and we would still need to purchase a boat. 

I'm not sure on budget. We need a 400HP boat. Which this never was. So budget depends on our best options. Looking like close to $15k to re-power. But selling it for a couple Thousand as is and then needing $20-25k for another boat...... 

Yes a turnkey engine is not guaranteed to interface with your existing controls and gauges which is why it's not a great option.

Indmar really already gave you the information that you need. Get a new shortblock, get a new cam (they literally gave you the part #) and get your heads re-done. Any reputable engine shop can do this for you and it will be as good as new.

Edited by boardjnky4
3 hours ago, roeboat said:

I found another site that sells dressed marine long blocks for a decent price. It should bolt right up because all 350/383 Chevy's have the same motor mounts. You would just have to add your transmission and accessories.

https://blueprintengines.com/collections/marine-engines/products/marine-383-1

Nice! 

1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

Yes a turnkey engine is not guaranteed to interface with your existing controls and gauges which is why it's not a great option.

Indmar really already gave you the information that you need. Get a new shortblock, get a new cam (they literally gave you the part #) and get your heads re-done. Any reputable engine shop can do this for you and it will be as good as new.

If he goes the shortblock route won't he still have the same problem?  For some reason it's running, just not very well.  So ditching the ECM and going with simple technology might be the best solution.  But it does seem like a shame to remove all of that, including a fuel injection system.

2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

If he goes the shortblock route won't he still have the same problem?  For some reason it's running, just not very well.  So ditching the ECM and going with simple technology might be the best solution.  But it does seem like a shame to remove all of that, including a fuel injection system.

It sounds like someone told him (hopefully, a qualified mechanic) that he needs a longblock. More than likely, he lost compression in a cylinder or has something wrong with a valve, etc... Most boat dealerships don't rebuild engines, they just swap out longblocks. A qualified engine shop are the only ones that can REALLY evaluate the longblock to determine what is wrong with it. That would require starting with a compression and leakdown test, and then probably teardown once it's determined something is wrong. If it's running at all, then there are many salvageable parts and a shop can just rebuild it.

While we don't know enough details, and I can only speculate, I highly doubt that there is something catastrophically wrong with BOTH the motor and the ECM.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Still leaning towards the Blueprint 383. Everyone is confirming it should bolt right up and all accessories should bolt on. This would be more old school than what is in there but can't think of any down side. Looks like easiest and cheapest option that will give us a 400hp boat. We would only need to fool with the prop at that point. 

To answer some later questions:

As soon as I mention Hammerhead, everyone assumes its a 383 and have never heard of a Hammerhead 350. That even makes me nervous about the shop that it has been at. 

We are being told by a reputable mechanic that it is the wrong block. They recommend a long block. But it looks like I would still have to swap out cam and heads? There is no long block available with that cam and those heads that I can find.  So we could do all that and find out it was the right block but maybe a fuel injection issue or possible something else. 

Unfortunately we can only speculate as to what is actually inside without opening it up. We only know it's a 350 block on the outside. I could just be the wrong cam. 

If we bought the boat knowing it wasn't running right and got it for a great price, I would put money into more trouble shooting and opening it up to see whats there. But since we are way in the hole at this point, I'm leaning towards blueprint 383. 

Thanks for all the replies!! you guys are very helpful.

Spending 6 Grand to put a carbed motor into an EFI boat is asinine. Not my money, though. The downside is that no carb'ed engine can ever run like an MEFI engine, and the resale value of the boat will take a HUGE hit.

I kind of agree but if our fuel injected engine actually ran, we wouldn't be in this position. If anyone can guarantee getting this motor running for less than 6k, I'll take that deal right now. They cant and won't. Again, we know nothing about the engine before we bought it and thousands of dollars to be told the computer doesn't match the block. We have an estimate of 6k to replace long block and that would be hoping there is nothing else wrong. Just in a financial hole already and trying to get out as best we can. That's why I'm on here, looking for the best option. Thanks again for the input

29 minutes ago, ubugarrity said:

I kind of agree but if our fuel injected engine actually ran, we wouldn't be in this position. If anyone can guarantee getting this motor running for less than 6k, I'll take that deal right now. They cant and won't. Again, we know nothing about the engine before we bought it and thousands of dollars to be told the computer doesn't match the block. We have an estimate of 6k to replace long block and that would be hoping there is nothing else wrong. Just in a financial hole already and trying to get out as best we can. That's why I'm on here, looking for the best option. Thanks again for the input

Use the information that Indmar gave you, which is all of the "longblock" ingredients. Have Indmar run the serial number for your engine/ECM to make sure you have the correct ECM. Once you know you have the right parts, have a full rebuild done. Have all of the injectors cleaned and checked. Put in new plugs, wires and coil.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

Use the information that Indmar gave you, which is all of the "longblock" ingredients. Have Indmar run the serial number for your engine/ECM to make sure you have the correct ECM. Once you know you have the right parts, have a full rebuild done. Have all of the injectors cleaned and checked. Put in new plugs, wires and coil.

Great idea! I don't have all the info on the boat and it's shrink wrapped right now. Hopefully the snow here will be gone in another two weeks and I can open it up. I plan on verifying as much info as possible then. Maybe even trying some troubleshooting myself.

I'm really not too familiar with this thing. After two years it just kinda fell in my lap. The engine just won't run right. Won't idle. Need to keep it revved.  I know the mechanics have went through it several times. I know there have been parts changed out, and supposedly the engine info was verified by them. 

I do have another guy investigating the machine shop options but still seems too involved and open ended at this point. but we'll see.

Again, Thanks for the input! By the way, the people at Michigan motorz, Blueprint engines, Malibu and Indmar have all been extremely helpfull!!