Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 LSV23 wave

checkitup

Hello I'm new to the forum.  I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 2009 LSV23.  Are guys getting nice surf waves from these boats with upgraded ballast and surf device?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by checkitup

With additional ballast over the stock and with a Nauticurl my VLX puts out a nice enough wave to surf, and the 23' will as well.  With 750-900's in the rear lockers and around 600-750 up front on top of the bow seats you will be pretty pleased with the wave.

I believe it's better listed, particularly for this boat and especially on the regular side, but you'll get plenty of argument on that here. I played around with a Mission Delta for a day last summer and then decided to return it. Tried it on my buddy's 2006 V-ride the next day and he passed on it too.

However, the ease and speed of switching sides without having to change the ballast around is really nice and a ton of people love these devices, so I would try with and without if you're not sure.

• Like 1

I list it a little and use the mission delta.  By the time the riders have swapped the ballast pump is pretty much caught up switching sides. 

I fill the surf side 100% and the non surf side ~50%.   If you have a big crew you can just move the humans around also.  We may be able to get a similar wave by listing the boat more but the delta makes it easier. My goal wasn't to get the greatest surf wave of all time.  (we did sac it out and try one day) My main goal was to get a good, repeatable  wave that's easy to surf and easy to setup with all hidden ballast.  The only time I have an external bag is if we have a really small crew and I add a bow sac.  I found that usually I don't need 600lbs in the bow.  It's about having balance so if the rear is really loaded then yes you'll need serious bow weight but often 1 or 2 adults in the bow is enough for us (on top of my stock bow tank). 

Edited by Gavin17
  • Like 2

40F0ECF6-A3A0-4B48-9A78-4E558637CB95.thumb.png.980e49ca65497e47e05605ac3925bb13.png

Yes they can make a wave. 2008 23 lsv 750’s in the lockers, adjust bow weight to rider style and size(400 to 600), i prefer the ghetto gate to the suck gate, but I ride regular. Buddy likes the suck gate, but he’s all messed up riding goofy so not a fair comparison, but does have a better wave. We also move 400 lbs sack on seat and move side to side dependent upon crew size. Lots of great info on this site. Good luck.

9 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Here's my '08 23LSV (same hull) with full stock, Wedge full down, 1100's in both lockers and GSA.

file-2.jpeg

file4-1.jpeg

Have really been kicking around the idea of putting GSA on mine. Honest truth was it worth? Did you install or someone else?

6 minutes ago, Idaorr said:

Have really been kicking around the idea of putting GSA on mine. Honest truth was it worth? Did you install or someone else?

Honest truth... Yes... was worth every penny.  I installed it myself with my father-in-law providing some helping hands on a few steps.  Install is not complicated, most challenging part if making sure you have the angles/location correct before drilling the holes.  For years we used a sack in the locker and leaned/listed the boat.. if we had enough people on the boat it was a good wave.  Adding GSA transformed the wave to the level of "awesome"... whole new ballgame.  Huge increase in wave push, length, and width. So we now have a sweet wave that is a ton of fun (and we thought it was good before GSA) and the absolute best part is we no longer have the lean the boat or need tons of "ballast friends."  I can go out with my wife and our 3 and 6yo kids and have the perfect wave every time.  Also, the handling is 10x better with GSA vs. listing the boat.  So it drives better and surfs better (and not just "a little".. it is a huge step forward.)    I was certainly skeptical before I had a chance to surf my new wave... I was concerned I was flushing $4k down the toilet... but after getting it installed and getting a chance to surf the new set up there is no question it was worth the money.

TB1.JPG

• Like 2

I was afraid you were going to say that. Now between the Gator Step group buy and your “high recommendation”on GSA I might have to stop visiting this site. The old saying of “we love to help you spend money” rings true. Ok so now the research on GSA has begun, thanks a lot. Man I’m sick of winter, can’t wait for the ice to turn liquid soon enough. By the way that looks like a clean install, good job.

Edited by Idaorr
Add

I hadn't really thought about this before, but do you see any issue with side to side force on the wedge?  If you list the boat heavily and run the wedge, any concern with bending the wedge arms?  I don't know if they built them with that kind of load in mind.  It never really occurred to me until looking at your picture.

Edited by JeffK

I should probably clarify.  Not just listing, but tipping it using the tabs.  Seems like they are fighting against each other and I wonder what kind of stress the wedge arms can handle.  One pulls down and the other is pushing up.

7 hours ago, JeffK said:

I should probably clarify.  Not just listing, but tipping it using the tabs.  Seems like they are fighting against each other and I wonder what kind of stress the wedge arms can handle.  One pulls down and the other is pushing up.

There aren't any opposing forces at play here.  The water is flowing over the wedge (or the wedge is moving through the water) the same as it would in any other scenario.. the only force would be the hydrofoil creating a down force on the transom of the boat (at whatever angle the wedge blade is at relative to the surface of the water.. the case of a non-listed boat that should be ~90 degrees to the surface of the water.)  Plus.. the wedge can take some incredible forces when at wakeboarding speeds... so surf speeds are never going to be an issue even if you were crabbing through the water (which could cause a little additional side drag force on the wedge arms?... maybe?)

Also... the GSA tabs do not really create any lift or lifting force (if they did then the boat would list/lean when a tab is deployed... and it does not.  The GSA tab does exactly the same thing as Surfgate or any other "gate"... simply causes the non-surf side of the wave to delay convergence with the surf side (therefore the surf side wave "wins" the battle at the center of the wake and "overpowers" the non surf water.  If a GSA tab is deployed on the non surf side of the boat and the boat evenly weighted then the boat is level (not listing to either side.)  Also note that a GSA tab does not go down all the far (angle wise)... you are simply extending the bottom of the hull on the non-surf side so that the water is "delayed" before moving towards the center of the wake.  

Edited by gregtay
18 hours ago, Idaorr said:

I was afraid you were going to say that. Now between the Gator Step group buy and your “high recommendation”on GSA I might have to stop visiting this site. The old saying of “we love to help you spend money” rings true. Ok so now the research on GSA has begun, thanks a lot. Man I’m sick of winter, can’t wait for the ice to turn liquid soon enough. By the way that looks like a clean install, good job.

You will basically feel like you have a new boat, that is what it did for my 08 LSV.  the negative is that all of my justifications for a new boat just flew out the window.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, gregtay said:

You will basically feel like you have a new boat, that is what it did for my 08 LSV.  the negative is that all of my justifications for a new boat just flew out the window.

Same thing for my 06.  GSA is a small investment compared to buying a new boat.

Sorry kind of derailed the OP’s original question with all the GSA talk, did you pull the trigger on the 09 or still up in .the air? Will continue the GSA talk at later date hopefully. Continue on.

Great looking boat!  Enjoy!  Head to www.domednumbers.com to get you registration numbers that match the side graphics.