Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why is my wake changing?

ilovetrains

Sat morning went out with just three of us. We filled two sack, probably 750 in the middle and about 350 in front, plus all stock ballast. Was too much weight up front, did the submarine. Wedge fully down for 22-23 (2 of us), 1/8 up at 25 for the other guy.

Everyone agreed that the wake had changed. We were nto seeing any wash on either side, a problem we have had all season. The lip was litterally throwing us in the air, something else we have not had all season. It was a night and day difference from just last week.

What has me baffled is that we were not running more weight than we had at other times of the season. Since there was only three we ran with bags instead of people.

Monday afternoon we went out again. Had 4 riders, 2 spectators and 2 kids. We did not fill and bags so there was room for the kids, etc. So we had to have been running less weight than Sat morning. Again the wake was incredible. High with a great lip, no wash at any speed.

So what could have changed? Why is my boat throwing a better wake than it did just weeks ago. We actually had the same exact crew on the water about three weeks ago and the wake was just not as good. Every rider commented on the wake shape from the boat and also from the water.

How deep was the water?

Shallow water (less than 10') will cause the wake to change.

To clarify, if you were in shallow water the wake would be smaller, deeper water will make it bigger. I usually noice a difference around the 5-7' of water mark.

Edited by aneal000

I assume you have the power wedge. Is it possible that the power wedge gauge wasn't reading accurately and that the wedge was in a different position than you thought. Maybe the gauge (or wedge) corrected itself and is giving a good reading now. I don't know, it is kind of strange.

I assume you have the power wedge. Is it possible that the power wedge gauge wasn't reading accurately and that the wedge was in a different position than you thought. Maybe the gauge (or wedge) corrected itself and is giving a good reading now. I don't know, it is kind of strange.

Yes.gif It's got to be the wedge.

We were riding in a slightly deeper area, varies from 20-60 feet, vs the normal 20-30 ft. The shallow parts are 15, but we have not had to ride them all season.

My first thought was the wedge, but don't know how. I usually put it down until I hear the electric motor change pitch, telling me it has reached the full down position. The needle says full down before you reach that point.

Is it possible the wedge bracket moved somehow and that it is now doing what it did not do before.

I better not complain. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket and be done with it.

Our river is a standard 12ft right now, but there is a spot that gets down to 3.8-4.6ft. and the wake (while surfing) literally disappears Shocking.gif When it first happened I thought we lost the wedge :lol:

Have you been drinking excessively? It's been known to change perception...

No alcohol on the boat. Innocent.gif

Did you see the thread about broken ribs and LOTO? I learned my lesson.

I've never really noticed a difference in wake with water temp, but the density makes a HUGE difference in how a water ski performs. I love when fall rolls around. I pick up a little more acceleration when the water cools. :)

This brings up an interesting point on the power wedge and setting it consistently where you like it. It's my opinion the wedge gauge is nothing more than an estimation. The only consistent set points are all the way down and at maximum bite (half way position or as high as it will go with out moving all the way up). I like the wake shape when the wedge is set to get the maximum downforce. The only way I can get this consistently is to run up to about 15 mph or so with the wedge all the way down then raise it as far as it will go. I realize that there are many other positions you can set the wedge but I am talking about a constant setting every time out.

Edited by stusumm
but the density makes a HUGE difference in how a water ski performs. I love when fall rolls around. I pick up a little more acceleration when the water cools. :)

This is what I was going from. If the water dropped 10 degrees, I think it could affect the feel of the wake.

There is a lake in Oregon called Big Lake (its actually small) and when we go there the surf wake and boarding wakes are, without out a doubt, much larger then our normal riding spot. The elevation is around 4300ft. and the water temp is in the mid 60's and there are lots of minerals in the water, but other then that we can't figure out why it gets so much bigger there???

If anyone has been to this lake then they know what I am talking about. When I first heard my friends say that the surf wake was bigger at this lake with only two people in the boat then with 10 down on the river I thought BS! But its true Crazy.gif