Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

P5 Hammerhead and Hypsta thoughts?

Brodie

I found a deal on both these boards that I couldn't resist and decided to buy them both.  I haven't ridden either, but my plan is to keep the one I prefer and sell the other one and then buy a new Soulcraft surf style.  I am 6'0 210 intermediate rider and I bought the 55" Hammerhead and 54" Hypsta.  I would have preferred to buy the 53" HH, but that wasn't avail for the sale price.  Anyone have thoughts on these boards?  I have found a few comments both good and bad about the HH, but can't find any on the Hypsta.  Also, any fin changes worth doing?  I have XXX skim, and some older Inland surfer boards, but I was in dire need of something new.  I'm more excited about getting a new surf style, but no one is giving any deals on those.  

I think the 55" HH was the right choice for you.  I am 185lb 6'1" and went with a 53" last season.  I believe the specs recommend 53" up to 210.  I have two riders in our group that are at 210 that can certainly ride my board but it's a constant balancing act for them.   

• 1 month later...

I love my hH, it’s a great board. I switch between the smaller fin and the larger fin ... huge difference ... almost 2 different boards.

been working on my transfers and spins on the small fin.

can say enough good things re a phase 5 boards, though I have been recently riding a concave bottom custom board from my marina owner that is killer... 

• 3 months later...
39 minutes ago, Raimie said:

@Brodie what did you think of the Hypsta?

My whole family loves it, along with everyone else that has ridden it.  I sold the Hammerhead to my buddy, since they are similar, but the Hypsta is better for kids and lighter adults.  It is a really fun skim/hybrid board.  It spins really easy, and is easy for beginners.  I don't ride it much, as I prefer to ride my Neo, but it is fun.  We run it with all 3 fins (1" side fins and 2" center), and it is still plenty loose.  

Edited by Brodie