Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with Weight Distributing Hitch

MustGoFast

So I was looking at a new Armada as an option for my new tow vehicle.  WHen looking at the options it comes either with a class 3 hitch (5klbs) or a "Weight Distributing Hitch Ball Mount (Class IV)" rated for 8500 lbs.

Now what I need to know is can I connect that to my new Axis trailer?  Having never used a distributing hitch & ball - what is different about how they hook up, anything I need to know before I go check this thing out?  THANKS FOR A QUICK RESPONSE!

34 minutes ago, RyanB said:

You will almost certainly have to change the brakes of your Axis from surge to electric.  And I don't think you can use a swing away tongue.

I briefly looked into a WD hitch before I upgraded the OEM hitch.  ^This is pretty much what I found out^ so I dropped that idea. @MustGoFast, you could probably find a higher rated aftermarket hitch like I did and add it to the Armada.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, MustGoFast said:

So I was looking at a new Armada as an option for my new tow vehicle. 

You can always do a "test tow" before buying a vehicle to see how it handles the load.

See --> It's just a class 3 receiver now and can take a class 3 ball or a CLASS 3 (stupidly listed as 4) weight distributing hitch which moves from the 5k limit to the 8500 limit (of the vehicle) as the class 3 weight distributing is capable of 10k.

StdHitch.PNG

WeightDistr.PNG

10 hours ago, MadMan said:

You can always do a "test tow" before buying a vehicle to see how it handles the load.

I think the point that he is making is that he would like to stay within Nissan's towed weight rating on the truck.

41 minutes ago, MadMan said:

I didn't realize his trailer was >8500lbs.

The hitch on the Armada (as well as that on many other vehicles) has two weight ratings.  5000 pounds for weight carrying.  And 8500 pounds for weight distribution.  Virtually all boat trailers use a standard weight carrying hitch, so, to stay within "the numbers" the boat needs to either be less than 5000 pounds, or find some sort of weight distribution hitch.  His Axis fully loaded with trailer will be above 5000 pounds.

23 hours ago, RyanB said:

The hitch on the Armada (as well as that on many other vehicles) has two weight ratings.  5000 pounds for weight carrying.  And 8500 pounds for weight distribution.  Virtually all boat trailers use a standard weight carrying hitch, so, to stay within "the numbers" the boat needs to either be less than 5000 pounds, or find some sort of weight distribution hitch.  His Axis fully loaded with trailer will be above 5000 pounds.

Correct so I'm back to half ton pickups 

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2018 at 6:38 PM, MustGoFast said:

Correct so I'm back to half ton pickups 

Just buy a 3/4 ton and then you don't have to ask this question anymore and the towing is sooooo  much better.  Don't get me wrong, my 1/2 ton did everything I asked of it but now, I don't have to ask.  I just hook up whatever and go.

I have looked quite a bit into this on this forum and others and found a few things.

1. You can used a few weight distributing hitches with surge breaks but they have to be compatible. 

2. Most trailer manufactures won't let you install WD hitch beyond the swinging tongue. (too much pressure on the joint)

3. There is one hitch that i found that has a minimum 8" mount location for the spring bars which is just short enough to before the swing joint on the trailer.  (Fastway 94-00-0800 Round Bar Weight Distribution Hitch)

I have not tried it personally as I almost never tow my boat as it sits on a lift year round however I think that setup would be acceptable to all the known regulations for a vehicle that requires WD over 5000lbs. 

I asked Malibu directly.  Here is my inquiry and their response:

My inquiry: "We have a 2017 22VLX on a Malibu trailer that is equipped with surge breaks and a swing away tongue. Does Malibu approve of the use of a weight distribution hitch with this trailer? If so, are there any particular models that you approve of?"

Malibu's response: "Unfortunately we do not recommend using a set up such as that," ... "it will void the trailer warranty"...

While I was a little disappointed that the using a WDH would void the warranty; they were really helpful and responded very quickly.  Props to Malibu for excellent customer service!

Edited by BLSousa
spelling

Yes forgot that Malibu has moved to their own trailers. This was talking to the older Boat-Mate trailers. Never asked about warranty just about compatibility. 

15 hours ago, BLSousa said:

I asked Malibu directly.  Here is my inquiry and their response:

My inquiry: "We have a 2017 22VLX on a Malibu trailer that is equipped with surge breaks and a swing away tongue. Does Malibu approve of the use of a weight distribution hitch with this trailer? If so, are there any particular models that you approve of?"

Malibu's response: "Unfortunately we do not recommend using a set up such as that," ... "it will void the trailer warranty"...

While I was a little disappointed that the using a WDH would void the warranty; they were really helpful and responded very quickly.  Props to Malibu for excellent customer service!

I asked the same question when I toured the Malibu factory and received the same response.  The reason I asked is because I saw them towing boats in excess of 5,000 pounds from the factory to their test lake using a Suburban and a 1/2 ton pickup.  I explained that they are towing beyond the rated capacities of both vehicles' factory hitches.  

The test launch site on the river is on the same lot as the factory so it’s a 1/4 mile tow from the final prep area. I doubt they even hook the safety cables for that either.

Edited by NWBU

My dealer tows all their boats with either a Suburban or an Class C motorhome.  Both vehicles have a hitch that is only rated to 5000 pounds for weight carrying.

I think the vast majority of people either don't know, or more likely, don't care about the ratings.

Why is everyone so worried about getting a weight distribution hitch?  I'm pretty sure if it was an honest concern trailer companies would make the trailers compatible for such usage, but they have not.  I honestly don't get why everyone get's so worried about it.  Just don't tow your boat like a moron and i'm sure you will be just fine.  How many of you have been in an accident when your trailer hitch has come off the truck???  I had my ball sheared right in half and it was rated for either 7,500 or 8,500 and the tailgate stopped the boat from swaying anywhere else. . . I got rear ended at 70mph.  No issues with the actual mount that was rated for the same.  I get it, you will always have people out there doing stupid things and there is no way around that, but just use some common sense.  It's just silly seeing 100's of threads of people worrying about being over rated.

Dude! My raptor drives like crap towing the boat, so I was interested in this thread! Truck is rated for 7000 lbs, I don’t drive like an idiot, so this is a legit thread! Chill.

Edited by surfdude
13 hours ago, ajf4242 said:

Why is everyone so worried about getting a weight distribution hitch?  I'm pretty sure if it was an honest concern trailer companies would make the trailers compatible for such usage, but they have not.  I honestly don't get why everyone get's so worried about it.  Just don't tow your boat like a moron and i'm sure you will be just fine.  How many of you have been in an accident when your trailer hitch has come off the truck???  I had my ball sheared right in half and it was rated for either 7,500 or 8,500 and the tailgate stopped the boat from swaying anywhere else. . . I got rear ended at 70mph.  No issues with the actual mount that was rated for the same.  I get it, you will always have people out there doing stupid things and there is no way around that, but just use some common sense.  It's just silly seeing 100's of threads of people worrying about being over rated.

The reason a weight distributing hitch is important it that it does what it's name implies, it distributes weight.  It removes weight from the tow vehicles rear axle and shifts it to the front.  This is more important when the tow vehicle is smaller because the front tires will have reduced load on them giving less traction in marginal conditions for steering and braking.  It's common  backing down a wet ramp, the front tire will lock when braking.

I think the problem is actually compounding due to size of boats and suv's.

1.Auto manufactures are not making many frame SUV's anymore as well. Solid rear axles are gone on all but large SUV's and trucks.

2. With the proliferation of bigger and bigger wake-board boats the average weight has gone well past 5000lbs. 

Look back 10 years ago there were plenty of mid sized body on frame SUVs that would tow 6000lbs Weight Carrying. My wife's 2007 pathfinder will tow 6000lbs WC. At that time the big heavy wake-board boats were just coming onto the seen. 

I think the point here is that there are lots of people that need an SUV or even a mid size SUV and still want to be legal and safe towing their boats. Which is harder and harder to find with the information above. 

True the chance of something happening while towing is small but no one wants to loose their house because they are legally liable.