Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 24 MXZ vs 2016 G23 (wakeboarding only)

GaryShandling

Which boat has the better wakeboard wake?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which boat has the better wakeboard wake?

• 2017 24MXZ
    • 2017 G23

Hello all, 

I need some help making a decision. I am back looking for a new boat and this time I really can't decide. I am sort of remote so test driving is difficult. We are 100% wakeboarders so the wake is #1. Other things like fit and finish matter obviously but without being to test them side by side I am hoping a few people on here can answer some questions for me. For the record I have experience on many g23 wakes.

So that brings me to the 2017 24 mxz. I believe the hull was redesigned for 17 so years 17 and so on, how does the new hull stack up against the G23 wakeboard wake?

From what i have heard and seen prior to year 2017 I believe the G23 is the undisputed king when it comes to wakeboard wakes. But after the redesign maybe we have a real competitor now?

Let me also say this, I think the g23 is awesome but as many have said its a little thin.. not saying that I don't smile ear to ear when I ride a g23 but if the new 24mxz is all the size of a g23 with a little more transition then I may become a Malibu guy.

Yes I am planning to get on one in the near future but I just wanted to see if any avid wakeboarders have some opinions or descriptions of what the new 2017 or 2018 24 mxz wake was like. Please feel free to go into great detail of the wake or anything else about the boat you think would be relevant to discussion. I get that the M235 is the big dog in the line up but i feel that boat is in a class of its own (size and price).  For now I am just trying to find my new wake machine in the 23-24 foot range and everything is on the table. TBH everyone has a G now and I love them, but if 24mxz does it like a G then that may be the way I go.

Cheers 

Would you consider the new Axis A24???? Lots of folks raving about it and if you are so remote than why not have less to worry about electronic wise G or MXZ. Might save some dinero as well....:biggrin:

Edited by alpensurf23

Glad you mentioned the new A24 because yes I have been considering it. It's still on the table. I looked at the 2018 A24 at the boat show and liked it a lot. The 24MXZ got brought into the mix because just the right one became available. It's a 2017, the options I want, the right color, price, etc.. Not saying A24 is out, but right now I'm doing my do diligence on year model 17 24 MXZ. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, GaryShandling said:

Glad you mentioned the new A24 because yes I have been considering it. It's still on the table. I looked at the 2018 A24 at the boat show and liked it a lot. The 24MXZ got brought into the mix because just the right one became available. It's a 2017, the options I want, the right color, price, etc.. Not saying A24 is out, but right now I'm doing my do diligence on year model 17 24 MXZ. 

Cool , keep in mind warranty, sorry I can't help more, I surf primarily. 

55 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

gotta go with G23

Coming from one who just put the new A24 "in the league up there with the big dogs, mxz / g23 / xstar" interesting.

Edited by alpensurf23
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, alpensurf23 said:

Coming from one who just put the new A24 "in the league up there with the big dogs, mxz / g23 / xstar" interesting.

Doesn't 2018 A24 and 2017 24MXZ  basically share the same hull?

G23 is a beast!!! In one trip that wake snapped a wakeboard, and tore some guys pectoral muscle.

havent experienced the MXZ wakeboard wake, but in comparison to my 14-23-lsv, and 17-25lsv  the G was more vertical and firm .

• Like 1
12 hours ago, alpensurf23 said:

I totally still am on the fact of the A24s wake being up there, but I personally feel that the G has been pumping out wakes since 2014 so it is super dialed in. 

I have not ridden the MXZ24, but I have been behind a lot of MXZ22s and that wake is also very nice.

The MXZ and G both over alot more tech though so its hard to put them against a A24 which is pretty barebones when it comes to tech (screens / profiles / etc).

So between the MXZ and G23 i would go G23

I've ridden a 17 24mxz and have a bit of experience behind a 14 G23 and have ridden a 17 G23.  I haven't really played with the wake settings behind the MXZ but from my experience, the G's wake feels firmer than the MXZ and might be slightly taller, but like you said, may not be quite as wide.  The MXZ has a really nice transition but still allows for a good amount of pop.  That being said, I think I would go with the MXZ.  The extra transition makes the riding much smoother.  I absolutely love the wake behind the G (especially when you even out the prop list) but I think that the MXZ wake is more fun to ride.  Either way, you won't go wrong.  If you are solely concerned about wake over all else (including interior size), take a look at the G21.  Its a different ride/feel than the G23.

All great incites! I have been eyeing this new generation of boats for a while and now that i'm looking seriously I don't want to leave any stone unturned. I was looking at 2016 g23's pretty hard, and then a salesman who I have a pretty good relationship with came to the table with a 17 24 mxz.  TBH I definitely think the MXZ looks better (exterior wise).  But the tried and true G wake leaves little to be desired. 

In contrast, the 17 MXZ wake doesn't have the reputation the G23 has. I think that is partly to do with how recent the hull changes are and that Malibu markets the M235 as the big dog. The G23 hit the market at the perfect time to take that top spot a few years ago. I really need to go ride this mxz but I wont have the opportunity until maybe this weekend. (6.5 hour drive) I will likely be able to ride a 16 g23 that same day with a friend.  I am hoping that the mxz with stock and PNP has about the same size as a G wake. But I would like that more mellow consistent clean transition Malibu is known for. Having a more mellow ramp is just more fun to charge to the flats. I also like the extra room to land when I am trying to keep it w2w. 

1 hour ago, GaryShandling said:

But I would like that more mellow consistent clean transition Malibu is known for. Having a more mellow ramp is just more fun to charge to the flats. I also like the extra room to land when I am trying to keep it w2w. 

sounds like you're getting an MXZ. Although I did not find it hard to go W2W on  g23. Never had a set on the mxz..

ahopkins22LSV
8 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

I've ridden a 17 24mxz and have a bit of experience behind a 14 G23 and have ridden a 17 G23.  I haven't really played with the wake settings behind the MXZ but from my experience, the G's wake feels firmer than the MXZ and might be slightly taller, but like you said, may not be quite as wide.  The MXZ has a really nice transition but still allows for a good amount of pop.  That being said, I think I would go with the MXZ.  The extra transition makes the riding much smoother.  I absolutely love the wake behind the G (especially when you even out the prop list) but I think that the MXZ wake is more fun to ride.  Either way, you won't go wrong.  If you are solely concerned about wake over all else (including interior size), take a look at the G21.  Its a different ride/feel than the G23.

The mxz you rode at polar bear? If so just for reference we were running wedge at ramp to start then one click up. I’d think more wedge would make it more vert if that is what the OP was looking for. And all I know is that wale looked monstrous behind the 24. Pass for me haha!

6 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

sounds like you're getting an MXZ. Although I did not find it hard to go W2W on  g23. Never had a set on the mxz..

Eh I wouldn't say its hard. I tend to tough it first set if its been a while on a g23. After a little bit of time though I find the sweet spot. 

• Like 1

@GaryShandling  Just curious, what kind of advice are you getting from Nauti blog/ forum site? I'm glad your going for a demo and will be stoked to hear your findings post. Don't forget the warranty question and also the site that you have been getting good beta from on both boats Pretty cool the amount of support that you get from crew regardless of what you decide. My Malibu dealer also sells G's and Ive heard from many that Malibu is way more responsive when issues arise than Nautique.

@alpensurf23 Hahaha you know I haven't been posting on the nauti forum. But if I did I'm pretty sure the findings would be skewed. Plus I just don't think many people have really rode the new hull. I figured of any site to ask about some people here would have the most experience with it. It's a hard poll to take because like stated above the G23 has been really kicking for a few years now. Believe it or not it was actually all the buzz on the 18 A24 that got my attention. If i'm not mistaken the 17-18 24 mxz wake = 18 A24 wake. 

BTW lift mode on malibu is a big plus for fuel consumption. 

• Like 1

@GaryShandling I had to ask. I bet some of them are closet Malibu fans. Lift mode, Power Wedge, Surfgate, Wristband controls and Malibucrew are huge pluses in my book. I have also first hand experienced how " centered on you" Malibu/Axis is from dealer response to the factory response. I help my dealer when it comes to other's boats needing to be serviced or repaired by " wrangling them" as I like to say. I help transport them to dealer or to closer location for faster response by mechanic. I do this for no pay other than gas reimbursement many of the boat owners are friends and have done the same for me. In doing this I have seen many different scenerios with one thing in common a dealer and manufacturer that jump better than others. I wish you the best of fun in your demo and search. :cheers:

Seems like an easy decision going by your own words. G23 has been the “undisputed king” but the MXZ “might be a contender now”.  Spending this kind of money...I’d always bet on the sure thing.

8 minutes ago, buzzard said:

Seems like an easy decision going by your own words. G23 has been the “undisputed king” but the MXZ “might be a contender now”.  Spending this kind of money...I’d always bet on the sure thing.

@buzzard Have you wakeboarded the MXZ in question? The G23 in your words might just be a "has been". Proof is in the eye of the beholder and wake. Enjoy the demos @GaryShandling.