Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Corrosion

I normally trailer my bu so I haven't had this issue before. For the past 3 weeks I left my bu in a fresh water lake. When I pulled it out, The wedge and bracket had corrosion on it. Cry.gif What do I need to do to stop this? Do I need to add some sacrificial zinc anodes? And if so, where?

Not to be too harsh right out of the gate but, why would you leave your boat in ANY water for three weeks solid. I've seen gel coat blisters occur in less time than that. Skip the zinc (wouldn't work anyway) and get your boat out of the water.

Not to be too harsh right out of the gate but, why would you leave your boat in ANY water for three weeks solid. I've seen gel coat blisters occur in less time than that. Skip the zinc (wouldn't work anyway) and get your boat out of the water.

The lake is 4 hours from home and I was going up there for 3 weekends in a row. So I didn't want to tow it home each time. And I didn't want to leave it on the trailer for fear that someone might try to steal it. And we don't have a boat lift.

I've had all of ours boats in the water for 3 to 4 weeks at a time every year for the last 18 years without any problems other then the wedge. An zinc anode made for a rudder with half of it mounted on the plate and the other half mounted on the foil will help some. Powder coating will help but after a year or two it will start to pit again too. SS plate and foil is the only way to go to stop the corrosion.

I moor my boat for the summer, so I am familiar with this. I put a zinc on it. Zinc is not supposed to work in fresh water but, it seems to have slowed the process down. I was told magnesium anodes work the best but, haven't been able to find them. SS plate and foil is the way to go on the next boat.

I've had all of ours boats in the water for 3 to 4 weeks at a time every year for the last 18 years without any problems other then the wedge.

2 to 3 days in the water starts to give me the creaps. I've seen blisters and I don't want 'em, so it's on the trailer or on the lift for me.

... Skip the zinc (wouldn't work anyway) and get your boat out of the water.

actually, malibu recommends putting a sacraficial anode on the wedge if the boat is in the water. I use zinc on mine because i am in brackish (and even on a lift), and it definitely works. my previous bu i had for less than a season and on a lift and did NOT use the anode, and the wedge looked beat after a season. this one is still looks ok after 5 seasons.

Edited by jgouveia3
Paint will just chip off.

You could have it professionally powder coated though. SacRiverRat did that and his is holding up real well.

My boat sits in the water for a few days at a time & my wedge looks terrible! The wedge & the mount is all pitted. Is there any way of making it look good again? Or am I too late?

Like John mentioned... I had mine powdercoated - looks great. It had lots of corrosion to start with also. Just had it blasted to clean it up, and then it was sealed and coated.

I'm not sure I can tell ya for sure what the powdercoaters did, but it is holding up great, not one issue - and it spends at least a week in the water 5 times a year or so.

While I was down there, I did the platform brackets too Biggrin.gif

post-80-1157726872_thumb.jpg

Looks Nice! How mcuh $ did that set you back?

Like John mentioned... I had mine powdercoated - looks great. It had lots of corrosion to start with also. Just had it blasted to clean it up, and then it was sealed and coated.

I'm not sure I can tell ya for sure what the powdercoaters did, but it is holding up great, not one issue - and it spends at least a week in the water 5 times a year or so.

Wasn't cheep - and being in CA, I probably get charged more than other parts of the country.. but including the prep (blasting) and undercoat - I believe I paid ~$200, which is cheeper than replacing them, and I think they look better now (easeir to clean too)

There is some "orange peel" in the finish, but that is from the corosion in the metal. They cleaned it all up, but it still left it slightly pitted. Not really noticiable, other than in this pic

Wasn't cheep - and being in CA, I probably get charged more than other parts of the country.. but including the prep (blasting) and undercoat - I believe I paid ~$200, which is cheeper than replacing them, and I think they look better now (easeir to clean too)

There is some "orange peel" in the finish, but that is from the corosion in the metal. They cleaned it all up, but it still left it slightly pitted. Not really noticiable, other than in this pic

What a great idea! I'm on it as soon as the season ski season ends here. What colour did you go with? My platform brackets are still in great shape, but might as well get it all done at once.....SS exhaust tips would be cool too...hmmmm