Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at used 2016-2017 M235s

Davegonewild

I am kind of thinking to avoid the 2016. I had a 2016 23 LSV that had a lot of problems and was in the shop quite a bit. Plus the tranny was noisy, the stereo sucked and the gel coat needed repairs often. I then bought a 2017 23 LSV and it is great. Fewer problems and everyone just thinks it is a better boat. Also, wasn't 2016 the first year for the M235.? As you know, the first year of anything usually is best to avoid. 

42 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

I am kind of thinking to avoid the 2016. I had a 2016 23 LSV that had a lot of problems and was in the shop quite a bit. Plus the tranny was noisy, the stereo sucked and the gel coat needed repairs often. I then bought a 2017 23 LSV and it is great. Fewer problems and everyone just thinks it is a better boat. Also, wasn't 2016 the first year for the M235.? As you know, the first year of anything usually is best to avoid. 

Eh, I wouldn't give a ton of merit to the year.  I don't know of anything in 2016 that was systemically wrong compared to other model years.   My 2016 LSV has been outstanding overall.  

The only thing I can think of on the M235 different from 2016 to 2017 is the change from RF to Wetsounds for the factory stereo.  But I agree with @ahopkinsTXi, find the colors you like and go test it out.  

For some reason, almost all the m235 I see are color schemes I find incredibly undesirable. Post above fits that bill. 

The one at the Denver boat show this year was pink. No thanks. 

Good luck on your search. 

5 hours ago, RyanB said:

For some reason, almost all the m235 I see are color schemes I find incredibly undesirable. Post above fits that bill. 

The one at the Denver boat show this year was pink. No thanks. 

Good luck on your search. 

Mn inboard has had quite a few, seems split pretty even between gaudy as heck and nice looking. 

ahopkins22LSV
39 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Well, I learn something everyday. Do they have full zone control like the 2017?

Thinking back to the 2016 M I used for an event last summer I think the answer is no, but I am not 100% sure. It definitely rocked out though.

19 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Well, I learn something everyday. Do they have full zone control like the 2017?

No, they did not!  Good catch. So there’s a difference. 

The 2016 M235 basically had the same black box and software as the rest of the 2016 boats, only they mated it to all Wetsounds hardware. You can easily spot the difference because they didn’t have Malibu proprietary grills on the cabin speakers like they do now. I think the drivers are different now too. 

The first pic is from the first 2016 M235 that I saw back in Jan ‘16 (red). Notice the old style WS speaker grills.   Also, the 2016 had nicer LED cup holders, imho  

Compare to the second pics from a 2017 M235 (pink). Different speakers and cup holders 

FD95A74B-1EAE-4908-A8F2-42F871CC4751.jpeg

C7A6052C-F620-4F90-9358-6A3088E75AD6.jpeg

Edited by IXFE

Your first pic reminded me the first time we were in an M.  Not that we were seriously considering one, but my wife hated that top bolster on the passenger seat - said it was uncomfortable and she wouldn't buy one for that reason alone.   

12 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Your first pic reminded me the first time we were in an M.  Not that we were seriously considering one, but my wife hated that top bolster on the passenger seat - said it was uncomfortable and she wouldn't buy one for that reason alone.   

I sat in an M for the first time last month at the LA Boat show.  I loved the boat, I’m sure the performance is amazing, but that spotter seat is Soooooo uncomfortable.  It’s almost straight Up and down, with no lean back to it.

• Like 2

2018s upgraded the stereo amp from 500w to 4000w and the lighting further now with three zone RGB lighting. 

Also the spotter seat and the passenger seat backs are all now adjustable. 

“For 2018, the M235 is equipped with the exclusive new Malibu MultiZone RGB Lighting Controller™, a breakthrough in onboard illumination that allows the user to control the settings of up to three zones of RGB lights. The MultiZone RGB Lighting Controller independently controls the new Rev 10 tower speakers, interior speakers, cup holder lights and more, and is seamlessly integrated with the Viper 2 dashboard system.

A joint venture between Malibu Boats, Wet Sounds and Shadowcaster, the MultiZone RGB Lighting Controller also syncs the lights to the music tempo on the 4,000-watt Wet Sounds audio system, coordinating an incredible array of RGB colors, brightness and strobe with the beat of a song.”

Edited by RCorsa
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

I have no idea what the amps in the 2016 I used were pushing but I can pretty much safely say that they were putting out way more then 500w. The interiors that they run would require more then 500 alone. Plus the 12” sub and 4 icon 8’s on the tower. 

I think you may be right about the sound being more than 500w total.   I looked back and the 2016/2017s had 500w amps (I think three) and those have been upgraded to 1200w amps.   I almost bought a 2017 when I decided to spec an 18 and the two big changes were the lighting and the amp sizes listed on the build sheets.   Malibu also Increased all the option prices by 4% from 2017 to 2018.