Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cargo net surf pocket

granddaddy55

Saw a post some time ago about using a truck cargo net as rudimentary surf pockets .  

Worked great, two boards from the back, one from the front on top of those 

i got the adjustable one from auto zone

snd I swear, though it may be an illusion, that my 14’ a20 stock base bimini is bigger than the one on an a24, so it easily holds those boards, am I kidding myself about that ???  my bimini is huge, only flaw a little too high for late snd early sun, with 53 snd 58 inch boards, the bimini swallowed all 3 and the boat looks cool with the 2 boards as from afar it looks like they are just sitting up there, the 3 looked a little “junkier” but still pretty cool, we had quite a few wakeboards and skate in racks and the combo did make the look on water pretty cool 

slso tested it at 28 miles an hour, no movement 

the adjustment straps allow you to make it tight enough to firmly hold boards in the wind

$20 bucks, cheapest and most elegant boat solution I have ever found, my cheapest and perhaps best mod ever(to be fair my only real mod ever other than fixing properly my original pnp install -so not really a mod, a correction). I added 500 lead but that was $462 delivered.  Both (lead and net) had the same effect of improving the interior of the  boat removing large bulky items(on cushion or floor sacs snd multiple large surf boards) but one was 2300% more. 

right in line with my “cheap” pathway like my minimally appointed a20

yesterdsy was awesome, 82 snd water 76, what a blast, haven’t worn a wetsuit since very early feb 17

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 2

I use one too on a 2017 23 lsv and I like using it more than the racks. I just push under and then pull it out. It is that simple. I bought one at Sportsmans Warehouse that I like a little better than Autozone because it has more bungee cables attached to it.  

I was so excited I didn’t think, it has 8 attacmdnt plastic hooks that adjust each hook length of strap , boards with no front pad, I have a wax pad on one, I stuff Board sock with towels to pad my bimini frame though I think it’s no big deal , kept the rear foot pads of boards racked over the rear tower bar so it didn’t sag into unsupported bimini

I’ll try for picks next , I thought the small short metal wire ties they crimp around the intersection of straps would do harm , but probably not even to boards with no sock

For 20 bucks you could return it if you don’t like it, I weaved some of the large plastic hooks,  big enough to rack to bimini poles snuggly , through my bimini front bar holes for long  forward support bars  snd hooked cargo net cord it was a part of ,

side note, it’s black long cords and multi colored yellow and black side direction cords but with Board colors and socks it won’t show up so don’t sweat that, I think cord colors are cool but I have a white and black boat 

and the standard 14 a20 bimini is huge so Can do 2 big boards from rear snd 1 from front 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 4 weeks later...

Too hot for summer for expensive boards so I switched it up , lucky we have the fat ax tower and standard bimini that is so much head room , even tight they sag down (room for more boards?) and even bounce some over wakes , fins still didn’t touch mirror when bouncing and fins are such that they are not really in s head room area, we did lose headroom but we had some to give , used draw strings on socks as a tie off as well, though fins would hold in place without sock and it’s draw string 

https://www.facebook.com/david.posey.756/posts/745801125612348

Remember this was $20!! And super easy to adjust each length at the  large plasti hook(that is exactly the size of bimini rods)

wife got back to riding, we surfed too much last year and need to get back to roots, She’ll  probably wsnt her slalom soon, fits perfect in the racks

Edited by granddaddy55

Real Nice!  so it has attachment points to secure to bimini that I read snd snug enough to ride on top on a faster cruise I assume?. I assume it’s well padded to house  4 boards 

Does a 5’3” Board come out “room “ temp and not heated at all cause silver ?

next years better upgrade! , popular and not in stock everywhere as i just checked , share sooner next time 

i have a fragile brigade with a wax pad on top.  When it was on top I padded the down top side of Board with towels against bimini bars.  

How padded is this on the black bottom ? I guess I could put fragile Board on top slot face down if we’ll padded

Edited by granddaddy55

The only problem with surf pockets or bungees on top of the bimini is I often forget to take my boards off. Within the last two years, I have already lost two boards by forgetting to take them off and then driving to storage. The boards often stay on while on the water at high speeds, but don't make it on the road to storage. I wanted to cry when I left my board on top this past weekend, and when I arrived at storage, I realized it was not in the boat. I must of left it on top. :( 

So sorry, I take my bimini down each time because I have a short interstate drive home at too high of speed for it, I think 40-45 is the max and even then your sort if beating it up

i recently lost my favorite board of any kind my HL nomad skate , long story very depressing , searching in internet now fir a 44” snd it’s a unicorn 

everybody else must love theirs too!

A lot of people pick up actual board bags and strap them to the bimini with surf straps/padded racks. Aside from the padding and thermo protection benefits, real bags is they zip up, and when properly secured will stay in place when hauling.

Yeah, I have a lot of people bring me 'freeway flyers'  to be fixed and get new boards over the years because the forgot about them on the bimini, or in the back of the boat or on the side racks. 

Nivk

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 12:01 PM, bbattiste247 said:

The only problem with surf pockets or bungees on top of the bimini is I often forget to take my boards off. Within the last two years, I have already lost two boards by forgetting to take them off and then driving to storage. The boards often stay on while on the water at high speeds, but don't make it on the road to storage. I wanted to cry when I left my board on top this past weekend, and when I arrived at storage, I realized it was not in the boat. I must of left it on top. :( 

Ugh, gut punch.  That suuuuucks.

Someone put my Board in a surf pocket on a factory bimini on top of bimini with the heat lining material and the board was hot!