Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best boat cleaning/protectant products?

WhiteWaterWeb

Hi all - I'm a serious neat freak and love taking care of cars, boats, whatever. Getting our new 2018 21 VLX in May and just wondering if any of you had advice on the best boat cleaners and protectants to use on the boat, interior and exterior.

Thanks for the help!

Jody

May as well start an engine oil thread... be ready for 100 opinions.

Currently I like:

Collonite wax - hull and glass twice per year

Hot sauce wipe down- hull every use

Starbrite hull cleaner if I leave it in the water more than a few days. 

Malco plastic cleaner- vinyl once per week 

303 protector- vinyl twice per year

Simple green - bilge as needed

For me -

collinite fleet wax a couple times a year.  I wipe down with Eagle 1 Wax as you dry

303 cleaner for the seats followed by a lot of 303 protectant on all the vinyl

That's about it

x2 on the (Edit - Babes).  Their spot solver is colored vinegar water, best wax stripper ever.  Guy should be on here any minute now to say that it is not vinegar, it is acetic acid (which is vinegar)

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

x2 on the boat bling.  Their spot solver is colored vinegar water, best wax stripper ever.  Guy should be on here any minute now to say that it is not vinegar, it is acetic acid (which is vinegar)

Babes has the Spot Solver - not Boat Bling. 

I went through a gallon of the Babes Boat Bright - which is just colored water.  To say it has vinegar in that would be very generous.  That is what is supposed to compare to the Boat Bling Hot Sauce.  I would have to use 5x (or more) Boat Bright to get even a usable result out of it, where a quick spray of Hot Sauce would do the trick.  I even tried the Boat Bright in the Hot Sauce bottle as the Boat Bright bottle broke...no bottle in the world will make that Boat Bright any better.

• Like 2

If your lake has enough minerals in it to leave spots you may need the vinegar water to remove them.  I don't think I could wipe down with just wax as you dry but I may try it sometime.  Most homemade wipe down recipes I've read include vinegar for this reason.  The color of your hull will also affect how sensitive you are to water spots. 

Thanks guys. I should have invested in microfiber clothes years ago as I own a thousand of them...worth their weight in gold. Our new boat will have a white 'belly' and charcoal for the sides and swim platform (as per below). Our lake is a very clean lake and never really left spots on our last boat (but it was a vapor blue and white SeaRay). No lift yet unfortunately either...I am trying to get one for this year but definitely next year.

And yes, I too like the Collinite boat waxes...very good.

?v=side&w=1024&h=1024&b=2018_wakesetter_

Hot sauce- wipe down after each outing

condition sauce / 303 for interior wipe down

menzurna power lock sealant

i use the Costco yellow microfiber towels for all of the above wipe downs. If the towel is used on the trailer or hits the ground, it goes in the trash. They are solid quality and are cheap enough to be quasi disposable  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Just picked up some 303 Protectant and Hot Sauce on clearance across the border (we're 30 mins away from Ogdensburg). Walmart has the Hot Sauce on clearance if you need some fellas:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Boat-Bling-Hot-Sauce-Water-Spot-Removal-and-Boat-Cleaner-Detailer-20oz/51232872

Decent price for the 20oz, 

grab 2 of those and buy the gallon size going forward, gallon is around $55

4 hours ago, Stevo said:

Decent price for the 20oz, 

grab 2 of those and buy the gallon size going forward, gallon is around $55

Not really that good of a deal.  Wakemakers carries 1 gallon for $45; 32oz for $19.  Both of which is per-ounce less than the Walmart deal.  That's just normal price too - no sales, combo's, or TMC discount.

54 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Not really that good of a deal.  Wakemakers carries 1 gallon for $45; 32oz for $19.  Both of which is per-ounce less than the Walmart deal.  That's just normal price too - no sales, combo's, or TMC discount.

Actually it is a good deal here’s why

no shipping charge with Walmart because you can pick up in store, and chances are there’s a Walmart close by.

the larger sprayer and gallon does have a volume discount per oz naturally but I wouldn’t  recommend someone buying a gallon right off the bat, or spending $100 just to get free shipping. THe OP can test it out for $12.77 and see if it works for himself.

i have both the large 32oz sprayers and the 20oz, I prefer the 20oz because the kids and my wife have been known to knock over or drop the heavier bottle and either break it or spill the precious nectar of the gods.

the 20oz does require refills slightly more frequently, but if that means less wasted product, it’s a smart buy IMHO

Edited by Stevo

I am pretty sure this stuff is identical to boat bling hot sauce:  http://pacificprodux.com/zip-mist-wipe-dp-532-01/

It smells the same, works the same, looks the same, but almost half the price.   I like the boat bling spray bottles so buy a bottle once in a while to refill with zip mist.  Those guys have specials if you buy more than 1 gallon pretty regularly.  

Edit:  4 gallons for $65.  That is a good deal.  http://pacificprodux.com/buy-2-zip-mists-get-2-free/

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

I am pretty sure this stuff is identical to boat bling hot sauce:  http://pacificprodux.com/zip-mist-wipe-dp-532-01/

It smells the same, works the same, looks the same, but almost half the price.   I like the boat bling spray bottles so buy a bottle once in a while to refill with zip mist.  Those guys have specials if you buy more than 1 gallon pretty regularly.  

Edit:  4 gallons for $65.  That is a good deal.  http://pacificprodux.com/buy-2-zip-mists-get-2-free/

Where’s the 55gal drum?