Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone stored lead directly in the floor under seats? 2014 Axis A24...

atropine

I would like to store some lead full time under the seats of my new-to-me 2014 Axis A24.  But I am not sure if the “floor” under the side seats is actually the hull or not.  And I am a little leery of storing several hundred pounds of lead directly on the hull.....   I have some of the lead in soft nylon padded tool bags (probably weight about 50 pounds each).  I also have some in 4” PVC tubes.  Am I worrying unnecessarily?  Here is a picture of the underseat storage area behind the driver’s seat.

BBD611B9-E68F-468F-BD2E-BED8F3EA18B9.jpeg

I can't answer any of your questions but I would like to see your lead bags. What kind of bags are they in and where did you get the lead?

I've been thinking about figuring out how to make my own. I have also heard using pennies is a great way to add weight too. 

I wouldn’t worry about it. People put ballast bags all over boats and fill them with thousands of pounds of water without issue. I thought the same thing a few years ago when I first started using lead but no issues in either boat I’ve had. 

Thanks everyone.  Here are the 2 types of lead containers I have.  I put these together several years ago when I was able to scrounge up a bunch of leftover tire weights from a local Mom and Pop tire store.  Most all the places now (even this one) recycle all their weights so I think they are hard to find.  I just bought the tool bags at the local Ace Hardware.  Pretty sure I have seen similar bags in the tool section at Home Depot.

3EE1C437-69D5-4B06-B3B0-EC84369CFB1A.jpeg

FF5D0BA0-A50D-4F9C-94B1-7605BEE74168.jpeg

I originally made up the bags so it would be easier to move the weight around and they would stay put easier.  In the end it didn’t really didn’t matter as I never needed to move them.

2 hours ago, atropine said:

I originally made up the bags so it would be easier to move the weight around and they would stay put easier.  In the end it didn’t really didn’t matter as I never needed to move them.

I agree with this. I "made" 4 50# bags with tire weights and $7.99 Home Depot tool bags. They are solid as heck and heavy but i don't like moving them around. In the end i bought 250# of wake ballast bags and stored 100# under the bow (hoped to get 200# under there), 1 50# bag i keep on the port side, traded the other 100# for a hyperlite flatline. (Don't forget about me @jalama

• Like 1