Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can I use some sort of bleach product to bring back the white

hawaiianstyln

All i needed is a one-timer to get my interior back to new since i bought the boat used and was not cared for like i would upkeep it to my standards.  I shouldnt need to use it except if i need to spot clean a mishap.  Doesnt bother me whats in it, it was better than using the magic eraser.

For me and what i needed this product to fix, nothing else was working.  I tried the soap and water scrub or 303 cleaner scrub, etc......

Im happy, now i can upkeep the interior with soap and water and 303 protectent after each use and should never need to use this again like i did (deep scrub).

46 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

All i needed is a one-timer to get my interior back to new since i bought the boat used and was not cared for like i would upkeep it to my standards.  I shouldnt need to use it except if i need to spot clean a mishap.  Doesnt bother me whats in it, it was better than using the magic eraser.

For me and what i needed this product to fix, nothing else was working.  I tried the soap and water scrub or 303 cleaner scrub, etc......

Im happy, now i can upkeep the interior with soap and water and 303 protectent after each use and should never need to use this again like i did (deep scrub).

I think this is correct as my vinyl that has never accumulated more than a year of basic grime and I try to use towels fir someone who just greased down with sunscreen so I think fir new boats well maintained  you work with the 303 snd effort with brushes snd for intensive spots  I use tooth brushes cause softer, 

if I ever let it go , using this cut some would be the way to go to recover it one time , but acid over time is never the solution 

i onky do it one time a year cause of the time it takes to do 30+ different cushion surfaces wash/scrub, rinse, and  dry!!! What a pain, takes better part of two days because if the forgiving non damaging nature of 303 cleaner  , I’ll be using the McGuire’s conditioner I can get down street at auto zone forever, noticed with that more things scrub right out with your fingernail and some spit in small spots when cleaning boat each week , so the sealing/conditioner  step seems to be critical to keeping stains out of the crevices of the vinyl 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1

I read somewhere that someone did a chemical test on the LA Awesome....and the active ingredients were almost identical to the Malco. Dont know anything for sure, just what I read.

I used LA sparingly when needed and then clean with soapy water and immediately use 303 to condition and no issues yet. I know a LOT of people use and recommend the LA Awesome on the forums, but you dont find out the issues till years down the road on a lot of things. Guess like anything you gotta be careful.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

@TallRedRider MSDS for it- Basically, citric acid (not good for vinyl), alcohol (not good for vinyl), and sodium hydroxide (also not good for vinyl)

“Orange oil” is a great way to make a consumer feel warm and fuzzy about the ingredients.... but concentrated citric acid is no joke on sensitive materials. It is probably one of the best degreasing products out there though....

8095.pdf

Yeah....no.   They did a technical analysis of it on wakeworld and it is the same as Malco.  Nearly identical.  So Malco has been tearing up people's interior for years apparently.  Plus Malco contains more caustic soda than TA!  

I don't buy it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786614

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Yeah....no.   They did a technical analysis of it on wakeworld and it is the same as Malco.  Nearly identical.  So Malco has been tearing up people's interior for years apparently.  Plus Malco contains more caustic soda than TA!  

I don't buy it.

My buddy Tyler Berg (PDX Wake) did that article.  They use Awesome almost as a one timer on all their boats because he has a business on the side flipping boats that ppl sell for cheap (or Repo) because they never take care of them.  He takes them in and spends hours elbow greasing and re-sells them to make $$$.  I didnt find out that he used this stuff until i texted him yesterday to ask if he had heard of it.  Then tells me that is his secret sauce for flipping boats when they are a mess.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bamaboy said:

I don't buy it.

I didn’t say it would instantly ruin the interior...... I just wouldn’t use it on a regular basis.

also, more than anything, I’d be concerned with the citric acid, that isn’t in Malco. The caustic soda is the least of the worries.... more so the alcohol and acid. I don’t care if it comes from oranges, that stuff eats everything. Throw some on some nice polished aluminum and see what it does.....

”using it for years” (said in the ww thread) only makes me laugh more..... I see plenty of boat interiors that are nice and clean, but cracked and dried out by year 5... crappy vinyl maybe??

go ahead and use it regularly....... I’ll skip it though.

• Like 1

Don't laugh, but try odorless mineral spirits.  Don't take my word for it, Google "mineral spirits on vinyl" and you'll see several boating references to it.  :dontknow:

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
On 2/24/2018 at 7:27 AM, Arick said:

Try a steam cleaner.  I've read a few posts on here from a few members that have used steam. Seemed to work well for them.  

I think I missed this little tidbit back in February, but found it while doing a search.    It was brought up on another forum as a terrific way to clean the vinyl without doing any damage and also less elbow grease than using cleaner XYZ and a brush.  The member who recommended it deals closely with a dealer and has a ton of experience, so I trust him, but still struggle to take the leap of using steam on my vinyl.  

I almost pride myself on having tried a lot of different cleaners, but have never tried steam.  A good steamer would cost around 140 bucks on Amazon, so not the $25 bottle of about a dozen things I have in my garage.  This would require a larger commitment, but I guess a good steamer would work wonders for the home carpet, floor and BBQ grill too, so wouldn't be a total waste.  

Anyone else use a steamer on their vinyl for deep cleaning?  

Edited by TallRedRider

i've used TA and its great but do find it drying. I also following the cleaning with a soaked towel and then a drying towel to make it not feel as sticky. You can tell by the fumes it is very acidic.   Simple green and a scrub brush also works great but i've found that any decent vinyl cleaner and a scrub brush is the easiest method. And doesn't require any additional steps.   Its amazing how adding a brush vs just towels makes any cleaner so much more effective.    If you do use ta or simple green you really should follow with some 303 protectant or a vinyl specific cleaner that has some uv agents in it. They also help future clean ups from being as bad.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:15 AM, hawaiianstyln said:

My 08 VLX was bought "used" last summer, it definitely needed some elbow grease cleaning, new skins on back rear seat cushions and both Ski lockers.  Malibu Gabe did an awesome job getting me the new skins last weekend.  Local upholstery shop did an amazing job sewing Gabe's work onto the HPDE cushion frames.  I always use 303 cleaner and protectant, but I don't think previous owner did well cleaning this boat as I would (no harm no foul I knew what I was getting into).  However, I would like to know if I can use some sort of product on the other skins in the boat to bring the white back as much as I can.  There is obviously a slight dirty tint to the original skins versus the new skins from Gabe.  I feel there has to be a product I can use to scrub out or possibly even lightly bleach back the white on the old skins.  I do realize that this is a one time thing as I'm a clean freak and will maintain it after that.  Also, I realize that using harsh products all the time is not good for your stitching, etc....  This would be a one time use.  When I say bleach, I really don't want to actually use bleach that would screw up my carpets if I was careless.  Assuming there might be a more powerful product that can deep clean over the top of 303 cleaner?  I've tried 303 cleaner, I'm looking for something more powerful.

I also had an 08 VLX that I just sold.  I would "OCCASIONALLY" use Magic Eraser for tough stains and to restore the white to the vinyl I would use Soft Scrub with Bleach and cut it with water and make sure to thoroughly rinse then apply 303 every few years.  Never had an issue and I would always get compliments that my interior looked brand new for an 11 yo boat.  Some folks are going to chime in and blast this but it worked and I never had an issue!

I will say that if you go with the LA's Totally Awesome....Dollar Tree has it for a dollar where as Dollar General was like 1.69$ for the same size bottle.  

I don't know if y'all get these door to door guys selling cleaner periodically but we do.   I swear the stuff they are selling is Totally Awesome , just in a different bottle. It is the same color and smells identical.  The difference is they sold some to my Mom a few years back for like 30$ for two bottles of the stuff.  If I am right that is a pretty good profit.

The last guy that came to my door selling it gave me a funny look when I told him  "No thanks, I get mine from the dollar store" Lol