Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can I use some sort of bleach product to bring back the white

hawaiianstyln

My 08 VLX was bought "used" last summer, it definitely needed some elbow grease cleaning, new skins on back rear seat cushions and both Ski lockers.  Malibu Gabe did an awesome job getting me the new skins last weekend.  Local upholstery shop did an amazing job sewing Gabe's work onto the HPDE cushion frames.  I always use 303 cleaner and protectant, but I don't think previous owner did well cleaning this boat as I would (no harm no foul I knew what I was getting into).  However, I would like to know if I can use some sort of product on the other skins in the boat to bring the white back as much as I can.  There is obviously a slight dirty tint to the original skins versus the new skins from Gabe.  I feel there has to be a product I can use to scrub out or possibly even lightly bleach back the white on the old skins.  I do realize that this is a one time thing as I'm a clean freak and will maintain it after that.  Also, I realize that using harsh products all the time is not good for your stitching, etc....  This would be a one time use.  When I say bleach, I really don't want to actually use bleach that would screw up my carpets if I was careless.  Assuming there might be a more powerful product that can deep clean over the top of 303 cleaner?  I've tried 303 cleaner, I'm looking for something more powerful.

Don’t bleach 

you can use warm water and soap in combination with a vinyl brush and Sunlight, you’d be surprised how much dirt can be removed.

of course virgin new skin clean will probably not be attainable, so curb you’re expectations 

• Like 2

I've seen professional detailer use diluted degreaser.  But this is one area I do not trust the pros.  They can be a little harsh on the vinyl and customer will be happy how clean it looks.  If they strip off some the protective layer of they vinyl making it more prone to staining that's just more return business for them. 

If I were you I would just keep up a good routine of cleaning and conditioning and I bet over time they will start to look better. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Cazan said:

I used a Mr. Clean magic easer on seats and it worked pretty good.  I'd test a small part first before you jump in. 

I've used that before on past boats I would buy used as a one-timer and worked well.  Just curious if I can add a product while using a mr clean as well

LA awesome cleaner from the dollar store. Its is the cheapest I have ever gotten and also the best at getting the worst stains out. Amazed me. Heard about it on a couple other forums and seriously works very well, especially scrubbing with fine bristle brush and wont hurt the vinyl. DONT use magic eraser

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Cazan said:

I used a Mr. Clean magic easer on seats and it worked pretty good.  I'd test a small part first before you jump in. 

Another echo on the don't use magic erasers.  Sandpaper.  

The Totally Awesome from the dollar store is great, and I also like Boat Bling vinyl sauce.  Using a brush is the real secret.  A brush with any cleaner will do far more than spraying it on and wiping it off.  When I get down and dirty and really want the vinyl to shine, I break out the brush.  

• Like 4
15 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

I called Malibu specifically about using Magic Eraser on the vinyl in my 17 LSV. The gentleman I spoke to said you should absolutely not use magic erasers on your boats vinyl. It removes the top, protective layer which leaves the vinyl dull-looking and more susceptible to discoloration/staining.

I would not use it on a newer boat. My vinyl is 18 years old and Is white.  

good stuff, I will stand down on magic eraser now.  I will head to the dollar store and look for the "awesome" cleaner or whatever it's called.

agree with using a soft brush, it really brings out the dirt.  If you are going to use bleach, i would do a 4:1 water:bleach mixture and use it only as a spot remover and then clean the area with soap and water.  People inherently think bleach is bad, but some of the cleaners above have solvents which could be much worse than using bleach so be sure to use soap and water after using them also.  

• Like 1

Wow just got done detailing the interior with "LA Awesome Cleaner" from dollar General store, holy crap!!  Where has this stuff been all these years buying 303 cleaner...  I thought my interior was fairly clean, I went through about 20 white terrycloth towels as I scrubbed the dirt out and wiped it off.  That stuff was so good that it brought my white back to almost new compared to my new skins Gabe did.  Not sure if you can see just the difference in the bow or not in these pics, but certainly a world difference.  First one has a dirty look to me and 2nd it's all gone

FYI it says to dilute on the bottle but I did not dilute.  I sprayed it on, let it soak in a few minutes and then scrubbed in one area pretty heavily.  This stuff was $3 a bottle.  I used 2 bottles on entire interior.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

Edited by hawaiianstyln
  • Like 3
37 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Wow just got done detailing the interior with "LA Awesome Cleaner" from dollar General store, holy crap!!  Where has this stuff been all these years buying 303 cleaner...  I thought my interior was fairly clean, I went through about 20 white terrycloth towels as I scrubbed the dirt out and wiped it off.  That stuff was so good that it brought my white back to almost new compared to my new skins Gabe did.  Not sure if you can see just the difference in the bow or not in these pics, but certainly a world difference.  First one has a dirty look to me and 2nd it's all gone

FYI it says to dilute on the bottle but I did not dilute.  I sprayed it on, let it soak in a few minutes and then scrubbed in one area pretty heavily.  This stuff was $3 a bottle.  I used 2 bottles on entire interior.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

Looks awesome!  (Pardon the pun.)

Can you post a pic of the bottle, please?

• Like 1

Nice, can tell a difference in the pics for sure. Make sure you condition with the 303 after done with the LA Awesome! 303 seals it and makes it easier to clean later

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

Nice, can tell a difference in the pics for sure. Make sure you condition with the 303 after done with the LA Awesome! 303 seals it and makes it easier to clean later

Already done!  :)  :)  Thanks everyone...

Ya...... it’s totally awesome that it worked.....  but I definitely wouldn’t use that stuff on a normal basis.

Totally Awesome is literally Acid+Caustic soda.

There is a reason why it worked so easy. It is seriously nasty stuff. Personally, I would never touch my vinyl with it. It will completely strip it of the compounds that keep your vinyl flexible and soft.

also, make sure you NEVER use it on finished metals (polished aluminum/stainless, etc).

Im sure it’s not the end of the world that you used it once, but I’d definitely not use it on a regular basis. Your vinyl will dry and crack in no time..... and no amount of conditioner is going to help that.

3 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Ya...... it’s totally awesome that it worked.....  but I definitely wouldn’t use that stuff on a normal basis.

Totally Awesome is literally Acid+Caustic soda.

There is a reason why it worked so easy. It is seriously nasty stuff. Personally, I would never touch my vinyl with it. It will completely strip it of the compounds that keep your vinyl flexible and soft.

also, make sure you NEVER use it on finished metals (polished aluminum/stainless, etc).

Im sure it’s not the end of the world that you used it once, but I’d definitely not use it on a regular basis. Your vinyl will dry and crack in no time..... and no amount of conditioner is going to help that.

You're the first I heard say that, otherwise it does get recommended a lot.  Anyone else had concerns about it?    Technically speaking, I think it can't be acid and caustic soda...acids have a low PH, and soda usually has a high PH.  But it is clear you are saying it is too harsh for boat vinyl.  I am now a little embarrassed that I recommended it based on all the love that others have given it, although I have never used it. 

I have heard all good things about it before, but I personally use Malco Leather and plastic cleaner.  But like I said before, the brush in your picture likely did more to clean the vinyl than the cleaner itself.  

I have often heard that 303 cleaner is not very good at cleaning.  The 303 protectant is something I believe in wholeheartedly.  

@TallRedRider MSDS for it- Basically, citric acid (not good for vinyl), alcohol (not good for vinyl), and sodium hydroxide (also not good for vinyl)

“Orange oil” is a great way to make a consumer feel warm and fuzzy about the ingredients.... but concentrated citric acid is no joke on sensitive materials. It is probably one of the best degreasing products out there though....

8095.pdf

• Like 2