Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Squared off interiors?

dalt1

Malibu had to go square to enable the flip down seat option.  It also makes the elimination of the small corner cushion possible. (Pic 1)

For years boat owners have been begging Malibu to solve the problem of people stepping on the vinyl and popping seams (most common on the small corner cushions). They’ve given us what we asked for. Kinda funny how quickly we forget. 

For the record, I will miss the rounded corners too.  I’m simply saying I totally understand what they were trying to accomplish. 

For what it’s worth, Nautique has been building 90 degree angles into their interiors for years. (Pic 2) 

FE2B9531-02CB-4A7D-AF01-6E68935F4F79.jpeg

61E62355-1F02-4E6A-9399-BAE859F23CF7.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
ahopkins22LSV

And everyone loves Nautiques interiors... I would rather have the rounded corners like the vtx and 25 LSV still have but with seconding what @IXFE said I totally understand why they did it. Funny the mxz went to it in 2017 and no one made a peep. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

The square seats aren't as comfortable for sure.  My wife and buddy both commented at the last boat show we went to that:
- The seating isn't as soft/comfortable as our VLX's seats

- Malibu needs to redesign the seat slider for the rear seat.  It sticks out further than the competition and both busted their shins on it (I was able to avoid it).

The squared seating reminds me of my '95 Wellcraft.  I get the functionality it gives, but the primary reason is sitting, comfortably. The new boats are still really nice, maybe one day I'll own one, doubtful.

Solving the  seat stepping issue is so easy though.  They did it in the axis with the glass step under the pull out center seat.  What id like to see is a full seadek engine hatch, eliminate all that  vinyl 

Edited by oldjeep

Why don't they make that center back cushion flip down like the side ones can?   

In reality, how many folks even flip the seats down when getting in and out?   I don't have them, but think it would be something I'd rarely end up using.  Seems like you'd still have folks moving around in that area just to flip down a seat.   

Perhaps we would leave them flipped down when first loading or when in a cove and folks always seem to be getting in and out to grab drinks or deal with a napping kid in the boat, but for riding, I doubt my crew would use them.  

I am having a "step" built into my middle seat in next couple weeks like shown in above pics with the Malibu and Nautique. I am trying to find out what they put under it, anyone know? I assume the foam is cut out (like 12x8 are)...then some kind of rubber block placed on it, then skin installed and the SeaDeck step is installed on top of vinyl.

My boat is a 2014 and the seams in that back seat are starting to rip, its the only area of boat cause everyone has to step there to get to back of boat....so trying to figure out a way to prevent that issue in future. Love it if anyone has ideas. Realizing that may de-rail thread, so I will prop post a new topic.

3 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Why don't they make that center back cushion flip down like the side ones can?   

In reality, how many folks even flip the seats down when getting in and out?   I don't have them, but think it would be something I'd rarely end up using.  Seems like you'd still have folks moving around in that area just to flip down a seat.   

Perhaps we would leave them flipped down when first loading or when in a cove and folks always seem to be getting in and out to grab drinks or deal with a napping kid in the boat, but for riding, I doubt my crew would use them.  

Now you see why they added the stomp pad on the new 23 LSV (and G23)... you don’t need a flip down seat in the center to stay off the vinyl. Think of that as how people get in from the back of the boat. 

The flip down on the side are more for people stepping in from the dock.  At least that’s how I like to think of them.  It’s possible to use them getting in from the back, but it’s not as natural since they’re over on the side.

All that said, I’m 100% with you @hethj7. While I understand why Malibu and others are doing this (mostly cuz we keep asking for it), I’ve never been one to worry too much about stepping on vinyl. It’s a boat, for crying out loud!  And just like you said, I knew I’d never use the flip downs so I didn’t bother ordering them on my 2018. 

• Like 2

For larger individuals and older passengers I politely ask them to sit down with feet on the swim deck and swing their feet over into the boat vs stepping down. These people tend to drop all their weight down a step below them.

of course I still have to remind the kids multiple times not to jump off the deck onto the seats. 

Edited by Stevo
4 hours ago, IXFE said:

Now you see why they added the stomp pad on the new 23 LSV (and G23)... you don’t need a flip down seat in the center to stay off the vinyl. Think of that as how people get in from the back of the boat. 

The flip down on the side are more for people stepping in from the dock.  At least that’s how I like to think of them.  It’s possible to use them getting in from the back, but it’s not as natural since they’re over on the side.

All that said, I’m 100% with you @hethj7. While I understand why Malibu and others are doing this (mostly cuz we keep asking for it), I’ve never been one to worry too much about stepping on vinyl. It’s a boat, for crying out loud!  And just like you said, I knew I’d never use the flip downs so I didn’t bother ordering them on my 2018. 

I'd venture to say that if you kept a boat for more than a year that you would care. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Why don’t you come up with some new material, bud. 

But its true.  If you have a boat a year, who cares if it gets stepped on.  The material is new, thread is new.  5-10 years down the line it is different.  Same thing as putting some brands of tires on trucks, if you only keep them for 24K and then get a new truck - who cares? Longevity is a parameter that some folks care about and others don't.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

But its true.  If you have a boat a year, who cares if it gets stepped on.  The material is new, thread is new.  5-10 years down the line it is different.  Same thing as putting some brands of tires on trucks, if you only keep them for 24K and then get a new truck - who cares? Longevity is a parameter that some folks care about and others don't.

Isn’t it possible that I don’t care about it for other reasons?  That ever cross your mind?

3 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Isn’t it possible that I don’t care about it for other reasons?  That ever cross your mind?

I guess it coukd be that you have money falling out your rear and don't mind paying for new skins.  Although they woukd be under warranty 🤣

Fwiw, my corner skins are cracking at tge seams and I'm going to be writing the big check to replace them soon.  So folks walking on them is a concern to me. 

Edited by oldjeep
48 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I guess it coukd be that you have money falling out your rear and don't mind paying for new skins.  Although they woukd be under warranty 🤣

Fwiw, my corner skins are cracking at tge seams and I'm going to be writing the big check to replace them soon.  So folks walking on them is a concern to me. 

So according to oldjeep, only people with money falling out of their rear prefer not to pour even more money out of their rear on flip down seats. Got it.  

But what about all those folks hating on the new 23 walkover?  I guess they all have money falling out of their rears too, huh?

You know... without realizing it, you’re kinda making my point. Seems you’re one of the people Malibu is listening to. Before you know it we may have a boat built entirely out of Gatorstep... I bet you’d like that, wouldn’t you? 

I personally love the new flip down seats. Such a great idea, for entering from the dock. It almost could be used for a booster seat when throwing the rope out. 

One design that I absolutely loved on my old Tige was the rear corner seats could be flipped over to reveal carpet or gaterstep that could be stepped on. Every brand has little features here and there that are so cool, only if we could take them from like 5 different brands and put them all in one. 

6 hours ago, Stevo said:

of course I still have to remind the kids multiple times not to jump off the deck onto the seats. 

I have the same problem.  Fortunately, my seat seams in my 12 year old boat are still in great shape.

Just now, inlandlaker said:

I have the same problem.  Fortunately, my seat seams in my 12 year old boat are still in great shape.

Oddly enough, so are the seats in my inlaws 800 plus hour  04 lxi.  My 2012 seats on the other hand have issues, mostly the textured shiny plastic like fabric. 

ahopkins22LSV

The flip down seats are really nice from entering from the dock. The 24mxz I drove for our polar bear this past December had them and everyone used/liked them. It was nice to be able to get in and out of the boat with :shocked: shoes or boots on :shocked: and not touch any vinyl. 

19 hours ago, inlandlaker said:

19 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Oddly enough, so are the seats in my inlaws 800 plus hour  04 lxi.  My 2012 seats on the other hand have issues, mostly the textured shiny plastic like fabric. 

My 06 VLX had over 1000 hrs on it when sold and still had original skins. They were starting to show wear at the time but not blown out like new stuff does. My 12 VLX not holding so good. You would think the upholstery industry would be able to make a seam or material to hold up. Appears they did better years ago. The rounded corners in the new (not redesigned yet) VLX still draw me in much more than the new Box seats. May be a big draw on me if my 12 ever sells and I do get to buy a new one.