Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

On board boat alarm systems?

Dwake

So I searched and seen some old posts about alarms, but has anybody put a alarm system in there boat recently.  I’m looking for new boat installs but later models would be good too.

i seen posts with viper installs but no how too.  

I did find this

https://columbiaboatalarms.com/

Edited by Dwake
2 minutes ago, Dwake said:

So I searched and seen some old posts about alarms, but has anybody put a alarm system in there boat recently.  I’m looking for new boat installs but later models would be good too.

i seen posts with viper installs but no how too.  

Never heard of such a thing but sounds awesome! We had a couple times where stuff was stolen off of boats on lifts at our lake. A couple props were stolen. I’m interested in seeing stuff about alarms on boats. 

Hi there - I too am interested in this. But I'm also interested to hear if anyone has used a wired (or wireless) WiFi based camera outside (on the dock, etc.). Thinking of putting one on the dock to keep an eye on the boat at the cottage when at home, etc. I have heard some things about the Nest camera. 

Any thoughts?

9 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Hi there - I too am interested in this. But I'm also interested to hear if anyone has used a wired (or wireless) WiFi based camera outside (on the dock, etc.). Thinking of putting one on the dock to keep an eye on the boat at the cottage when at home, etc. I have heard some things about the Nest camera. 

Any thoughts?

I have D-link Stationary and PTZ cameras.  They are inside now but I did have them outside in Florida humidity and heat for about 60 days and they held up.  The where not exposed to rain but everything else.  They seem to be online majority of the time.  I think I reset/rebooted them 3 times in 3 years.  They have an app you can use for free on iPhone (I think iPad app is like a couple bucks). Can view from anywhere. Like $100-150

I have a viper car alarm in mine, wired up just like in a car. But instead of the car doors it's wired to mag sensors on a couple hatches and a motion sensor behind the driver seat that catches the main floor. It's great when I leave it in the water while camping or if we hit a motel and it's in the parking lot, has a buzzer key fob.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Any thoughts?

Game camera might be option as well if hung and anchored properly and weatherproof.I have buddies that check theirs via cell phone. I would think a tracking beacon might also be a consideration up there in Canada as boat theft sounds surprisingly common.

Edited by alpensurf23

My buddy had his 2016 Mastercraft X10 stolen after one season...right from the dock and on to his trailer. The thieves towed it out at 10AM in the morning like they owned the boat/place.

I want eyes on the boat but a tracking beacon is a good idea too. Surprised they don't come with some kind of a feature like that...

I’ve heard of people getting a patch sewn onto the cover saying security alarm active or something like that official looking. 

I was looking before and there was a cellular tracking device that used all international cell towers for pretty cheap on amazon. Lemme take a look. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

My buddy had his 2016 Mastercraft X10 stolen after one season...right from the dock and on to his trailer. The thieves towed it out at 10AM in the morning like they owned the boat/place.

I want eyes on the boat but a tracking beacon is a good idea too. Surprised they don't come with some kind of a feature like that...

I have a TRACKIMO on the seadoo pwc.  It was like 120 with the wiring for the battery.  Had mine stolen a few years back( wish I had the tracker on that one)

60 a year to renew the tracking.

its under the panel next to the battery.  It can be geofenced and you get 10 alert texts a months for free.  Unlimited tracking.  Very small

even will tell ya battery is dead.  

• Like 1

I'll 2nd or 3rd the Viper product.  There have been a couple of times where stuff have been stolen out of boats where I heard my alarm give the little warning sounds letting the would be thieves my boat is armed with an alarm.  My boat was untouched.

Alarms  on the boat sounds like an awesome idea! Did you just have a car alarm shop install it? 

About the camera system. Are you guys with security cameras installed on private or public docks? Our boat is on a public dock(small, maybe 10 boats and we know most of those people), I am wondering if people would put up a fuss about us having a camera out there. I don't know why they would, they are essentially getting the security camera system too. But I have a feeling some stuff happens on the dock/boats that they don't want people to see. 

Our boat is on our own dock, so private in a sense but on a lake with other cottagers. I'm just worried about when we're not there and someone cutting the locks on the trailer, using our boat launch, and towing the boat out - as if they owned it or are taking it in for maintenance. I would think in a public space (like a boat slip) this might not be allowed given privacy concerns, etc. A number of these record footage to the cloud too.

It was a car stereo/car alarm place that installed mine.  They did a great job.  They also told me that Viper products couldn't be purchased by consumers.  Not sure if that true now or even back then.

6 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Our boat is on our own dock, so private in a sense but on a lake with other cottagers. I'm just worried about when we're not there and someone cutting the locks on the trailer, using our boat launch, and towing the boat out - as if they owned it or are taking it in for maintenance. I would think in a public space (like a boat slip) this might not be allowed given privacy concerns, etc. A number of these record footage to the cloud too.

Opinion i have on cameras is that they dont really stop the theft they just let you watch it later.  Rarely is anyone ever caught unless you get an alert, of motion or something and look immediately at your cameras and take action.  If your not in the immediate vicinity you gotta call it in and give description.  That takes a long time in the theft world of time. 

I  believe a scare off is needed with a camera.  Of course best is all 3.  Scare, record, track 

I would think the Viper alarm would only work if the boat was on a lift whicg mine is.

Just being tied to a dock would be too much rocking and thus the alarm would be going off all the time.

Agreed; the ones I have been looking at now have night vision, motion sensor alerts (texts to your phone when their is a certain type of motion around the boat...not leaves, etc.), and recording. I basically just want the motion alerts, night vision, and capability to view the boat on demand (which will probably be every 3 minutes if I am not at the cottage!). The constant recording would consume a lot of data sending constant video to the cloud. 

10 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Yeah that is what I'm scared of. Someone doing the whole violation of privacy stuff if we try to put it up on our dock. Like i said we know most of the people and they might just straight up say no to it. I am aware of some things that go on on the boats and dock that some people might not want others seeing. Even tho like I said we had a couple things stolen last year off of friends boats that were just a few down from ours. With us having a new boat this year I am sure ours will be the target if someone decides to come. It will be the biggest and most shiny boat on the dock.

5 minutes ago, MalibuNation said:

It was a car stereo/car alarm place that installed mine.  They did a great job.  They also told me that Viper products couldn't be purchased by consumers.  Not sure if that true now or even back then.

I'll call around and see if anyone does them around here. Definitely interested in it. See last two sentences above. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Agreed; the ones I have been looking at now have night vision, motion sensor alerts (texts to your phone when their is a certain type of motion around the boat...not leaves, etc.), and recording. I basically just want the motion alerts, night vision, and capability to view the boat on demand (which will probably be every 3 minutes if I am not at the cottage!). The constant recording would consume a lot of data sending constant video to the cloud. 

Which ones have you been looking at? I don't have any knowledge when it comes to this stuff. 

Id think you could simple install a switch somewhere to kill power.  Something in addition to the perko switch that could be hidden to slow them down enough that theyll go to the next boat.  

I'll add that you can wire in switch(s) to kill the ignition or fuel pump? Obviously, It will not stop someone from stealing board and "stuff" but at least it would never start.