Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

North Carolina Lakes

OnTheWater

Hey All - looking for some info on lakes in the Charlotte area, as I may be moving there late spring/early summer.  I see Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, and the waters in between, along with High Rock Lake to the east.  I might look for a house on a lake or I might just trailer.  Currently, we boat at Lake Coeur d'Alene in Northern Idaho and really love it - deep and clear water,(cold...brrr) plenty of bays.  We like to get out and do the water sports, but also just enjoy the family floating and cruising time.

Thanks for any info!

Norman, mtn island as wylie are good lakes for boating and water sports. Norman tends to be more crowded then the other two, but good spots and times can be had. if I was going to be on or in the norman area, id look to be on the Denver (west side) mainly for the travel south to CLT and back. The 77 traffic is the worst. South to wylie, the travel time and traffic is better. You got the meck county side, gaston county side and then the south carolina part of wylie. 

Wylie has plenty of places for fuel but only one place to eat. Norman has a handful of eating spots if thats your thing. Wylie is slated to get another restaurant here soon, with a development thats going up right now in Belmont. Wylie has a couple of good sand bars to anchor and hang out as well as plenty of quite coves to relax. 

Water in all three lakes is ride able year round, leveling off in the mid to low 50's in winter. 

May also check out lake hickory north on the river and then wateree to the south. Both are a little further from CLT though.  

Thanks to both!  I’m hoping to know whether I’m moving out there by the end of next week and if so, I’ll be digging deeper with some more questions.

Thanks!

Yea, LKN can get pretty busy but almost always some decent places to surf if you know where to look. I also prefer the Denver side since you use hwy 16 rather than hwy 77 and traffic is nowhere near as bad (yet). Actually breaking ground on my new house in Denver next week (if the rain holds off), that area is growing really fast...think it may actually be the fastest growing right now around the lake and has great schools which is a big reason why we chose that area to spend the next 10yrs while girls finish high school and go to college. Its a big lake, but that is part of what I like since sometimes cruising is also fun with the family, or boating to dinner. Lake Hickory is also pretty decent to ride on, its more of a river actually but still has some good riding areas and not as busy for sure. Have not spent as much time at Wylie, only been there a few times but it was nice every time I was there. Personally I think this is a great part of NC to be a surfer, got a lot of options if you trailer....even more for the occasional weekend trip to placed like Lake Norris in TN, some placed in VA, etc.

• Like 2