Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory Dual Rev8s Sets wiring with G4 Tower

Kblagg

Anyone have a wiring schematic or can give some insight into how dual sets of Rev8s are wired with the G4 tower.  I have 2 pairs of wire coming into the factory RF 500w amp.  Thinking about replacing factory RF amp with a Wetsounds SD2 and trying to determine if I should leave it wired as is or rewire it.

6 hours ago, COOP said:

I believe its a rockford 2ch running 2ohm per channel. So any good 2ch amp would wire up the same.

Yeah, I know that's how they are wired to the amp.  Just curious how they are wired from speaker to speaker since I only have 2 channels coming back to the amp.  Any benefit to running a dedicated channel per Rev8 with an amp like the SD4 vs the 2 channel SD2.

I also noticed that all of the interior cabin speakers are wired up as 4 channels instead of each speaker being it's own channel.

Edited by Kblagg
2 minutes ago, Kblagg said:

Any benefit to running a dedicated channel per Rev8 with an amp like the SD4 vs the 2 channel SD2.

You can debate the difference between 2 ohm and 4 ohm per chnl but its hard to get past the 100+ per speaker difference the SD2 offers. 

As to the wiring, theres only 2 ways to do it, parallel or series, and an ohm meter on the speaker leads at the amp will confirm how its wired. I would not change how its wires so much as I would upgrade the wire gauge. 

23 minutes ago, MLA said:

You can debate the difference between 2 ohm and 4 ohm per chnl but its hard to get past the 100+ per speaker difference the SD2 offers. 

As to the wiring, theres only 2 ways to do it, parallel or series, and an ohm meter on the speaker leads at the amp will confirm how its wired. I would not change how its wires so much as I would upgrade the wire gauge. 

@MLA, Assuming I did it right, it measured 8 Ohms.  Does that sound right?  Based on my limited interweb search, that means they are wired in series? 

RF site shows:

Rated Power
(RMS Continuous Power)

150 Watts x 2 @ 4-Ohm
250 Watts x 2 @ 2-Ohm
500 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohm Bridged

Assuming my math is correct, that means that I'm getting ~75 Watts per channel so effectively 37 watts per Rev8?  Please tell me I'm wrong!?!?

20180220_215028.jpg

Edited by Kblagg

150W @ 4 ohm, so 8 ohm per chnl would be even less then 75W to each. maybe as little as 50W each

I also noticed that all of the interior cabin speakers are wired up as 4 channels instead of each speaker being it's own channel.

Not much option here with more speakers then amp chnls. 

Edited by MLA
35 minutes ago, MLA said:

150W @ 4 ohm, so 8 ohm per chnl would be even less then 75W to each. maybe as little as 50W each

Not much option here with more speakers then amp chnls. 

Kinda surprised that Malibu sells it this way.  The Rev8s want 200 watts RMS each with 400 peak.  In the Malibu config, they are getting 50 watts at best, what a ripoff for what they charge.  Sounds like a Wetsounds SD2 is in order and rewire each set to be in parallel to get the load down to 2 Ohm.  That would provide 2x620 watts RMS which should be in the sweet spot for the Rev8s.  

Thoughts?  What size speaker wire should I look at for that load?  

Edited by Kblagg

Starting to wonder if I should plan to upgrade each of the amps.  Add a SD2 for the 4x Rev8s, SD2 for sub (will likely get a JL 12w6 or 12w7), what about for the 8 cabin speakers, leave wired as is and go with a SD4 or worth rewiring and getting dual SD4s?

6 minutes ago, t a said:

The 500*2 Rockford should do around 125 per speaker.  It’s “ok”.  Sd2 or syn dx2.3hp should be huge upgrade

Unfortunately not as it's currently wired by Malibu.  I decided to do the math earlier (See numbers above).  What's the difference between the SD2 & DX2?

10 hours ago, Kblagg said:

Kinda surprised that Malibu sells it this way. 

Same here, as its the first malibu boat ive come across that was series, not parallel. 

8 hours ago, Kblagg said:

What's the difference between the SD2 & DX2?

Just an FYI that could be a big oops, there is a DX2 and then the DX2.3HP that ta references. HUGE difference in wattage, so dont slip up and go with the Syn-DX2. That DOT 3 HP makes a difference.

From a wattage standpoint for two pair of Rev-8, little difference. I have found the Syn-DX2.3HP to be a solid performer. 

9 hours ago, Kblagg said:

what about for the 8 cabin speakers, leave wired as is and go with a SD4 or worth rewiring and getting dual SD4s?

IIRC, the LSV will have 2 pair of 8" in the main cabin and 2 pair of 6.5, one in walkway and one in bow. If so, the Syn-DX6 is perfect. 1-4 for the 6.5" @ about 100W rms and 150W for each 8" on 5 & 5. 

9 hours ago, Kblagg said:

Add a SD2 for the 4x Rev8s, SD2 for sub (will likely get a JL 12w6 or 12w7),

Choose the woofer first. for example, you cant bridge a 12W7 on a 2 chnl amp as its a 3 ohm SVC. You could bridge a 12W6, but at 8 ohm for roughly 600W. More efficient ways to get only 600W. Personally, I like the Syn-DX2.3HP for a bridged woofer over the SD-2. But again, choose the woofer first. 

Thanks @MLA.  I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a SD2 for the towers for now.  Found an authorized dealer selling it for $600 vs the $1100ish that most places had it.  Hopefully that was a good price.  Looks like I need to find a good deal on a SD6 now.  They have the SD4 on sale but not the SD6.  Looks like the SD4 is $600 vs $1100 for the SD6.  Is the SD6 worth the premium?

It's confusing how in some places WetSounds calls it a SD2 and in other spots they refer to it as the SDX2.  Then they also have the SYN-DX2 and the SYN-DX2.3HP.  Too confusing and not a lot of info on their site to help differentiate the different models from each other.

Edited by Kblagg
2 hours ago, Kblagg said:

It's confusing how in some places WetSounds calls it a SD2 and in other spots they refer to it as the SDX2

Because the SD-2 is the retired model and SDX-2 is the new revised model. Same with the rest of the SD amps. They have all been retired and revised as the new SDX line. 

SYN-DX2 and the SYN-DX2.3HP.

These are distinctly different active models. Not at all like the retired SD and revised SDX lines. The DX2 is one amp the DX2.3HP is a completely different model. 

Looks like the SD4 is $600 vs $1100 for the SD6.  Is the SD6 worth the premium?

In this example, not really. Look as if they are discounting the retired SD4 pretty deep, while not discounting the also retired SD6 at the same percentage. In the case of four 8" and four 6.5" in-boats, discounted SD4 for win all day long.  

Unless I'm missing something, the replacement SDX models don't seem to have as impressive specs as the SD line (and ultimately the new price seems to reflect that as well).  SD2 has MSRP of $1099 vs SDX2 of $599.  

Looks like I may need to pull the trigger on the SD4 sooner than later too for the interior RF speakers.  The interior speakers are RF 4x PM282B (100w RMS) & 4x PM262B (75w RMS).

@MLA, Thanks again for all the help and guidance!  Very much appreciated!

5 minutes ago, MLA said:

Not sure of your source. The SDX amps did not change in wattage, but some other tweaks in their operation. Current MSRP on an SDX-2 is $1099. SD-2 was $1049 prior to retirement.  

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SD2

I think I'm getting the two confused.  I was looking at wetsounds website.  Looks like Wetsounds has replaced the SD6 with SDX6 but they still have the SD2 & SD4 listed.

I think I'm confusing the SDX2 with the SYN-DX2.

Looks like the details page for the SDX4 and SDX2 do not reflect the "X" revision, but all 3 SD amps have been revised to the SDX models. This does not mean that there are not any SD models left in stock somewhere, just that they have been revised. 

Sinister SDX and Syndicate Syn series are two different lines, but yes, some similar nomenclature 

I went out and jumped into the cabin and took the leads off of the amp for the Rev8s and measured them again and they measured 2 ohms.  I'm guessing I wasn't getting good contact the first time when it registered as 8ohm.  That makes me feel better at least, but will much happier with the SD2 when it arrives.

Factory wiring on g4 tower is definitely parallel. I installed complete system on a 16 25lsv and took the top panels off the tower to mount the speakers and put eyes on the factory wiring in the process. 

Edited by lerch
Corrected word
1 hour ago, lerch said:

Factory wiring on g4 tower is definitely parallel. I installed complete system on a 16 25lsv and took the top panels off the tower to mount the speakers and put eyes on the factory wiring in the process. 

Not sure what happened with the first Ohm reading I took.  When I was in the observers cabin screwing around, I found the wires for port/starboard tower speakers and saw where they were came down from the tower so I disconnected them and tested there instead of at the amp and got the 2 ohms.  My Wetsounds SD2 should be here tomorrow.  I'll put it to the Rev8s and move the 500/2 to the sub and take out the 300/2 that's currently on the sub.  Going to keep an eye out on a deal on a SD6 or the new SDX6 for the inboats.  Still need to figure out what I want to do about the factory sub & enclosure.