Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Season is On!

granddaddy55

37 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

Man, I miss it. Nothing like riding saguaro, Bartlett, and Canyon all year long! Pretty cool the pro tour came through firebird last weekend. I would have been there for sure if I still lived down there! 

After moving away I have questioned myself if I would ever be able to live down there full time... not 9 mo a year for college. How do you bare with the summer heat? Do you just AC hop all day and then hit the boat all afternoon?

A 2 week trip to Tennessee in the summer helps! 

Yeah,  AC runs CONSTANTLY.   97 degree overnight lows,  get tough.   Even the lake temps get over 90, it's different.   Eventually hope to become snowbird, AZ winter, Knoxville summer. 

40 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

we don’t have their level of heat but our humidity

TRUTH!  90 deg and 80% humidity is way worse than 115 and 12% humidity.   

We get a touch of both.   Monsoon season, gives you crazy heat,  then an afternoon storm will add humidity,  it can get "sticky" feeling.  Overall I wouldn't move back north.   Living in shorts and flip flops is much nicer.

• Like 1

I spent the last 22 years 7 days a week like that till I closed my health club , wore very light long pants one month in one year !!

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

TRUTH!  90 deg and 80% humidity is way worse than 115 and 12% humidity.   

We get a touch of both.   Monsoon season, gives you crazy heat,  then an afternoon storm will add humidity,  it can get "sticky" feeling.  Overall I wouldn't move back north.   Living in shorts and flip flops is much nicer.

I beg to differ.. Lived in both climates.. hot is hot... Where it is humid.. there are trees and shade.. where it is not humid.. there is no trees nor shade..... Where it is humid.. you can still touch things without getting burnt.. where it is not humid... OUCH!!! everything is hot to touch... 

But I will take either over shoveling snow.. and freezing my arse off :) 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@kerpluxal there is accuracy there, however it gets to a point even shade doesn't help.   

It is a phoenician skill driving with 2 fingers because the steering wheel is too hot to touch...LOL

El Paso... had a jeep... black on black... had a routine for not having burn marks all over me lol

Do they allow net metering for solar, im no lefty but with your sun sure must be the way to go

i don’t agree with the tax credits to get to net metering cheaply 

Solar used to be fairly cost effective.  However a couple years ago the power companies started changing the rules.   Now you have a connection fee and a demand fee.  The demand fee is exorbitant and is based on your highest 1/2 of usage that month.   So if it's 115 and all your A/C and your refrigerator,  etc is all on and you are using a lot of power even if only for 1/2 hour one day.  The demand fee is huge!.  It is PER kW first 3 ...$9.59... next 7... $17.82.... any additional  $34. 

So for example in that one 1/2 hour you reach 12Kw... demand charge alone is $224.   It can still be good,  you just have to be very careful with making sure not to use stuff simultaneously.  I have too many people in my house to control the usage enough.  Eventually I do want to go solar though.   I have a 50' RV garage with a south facing roof that is begging for solar pannels

Edited by DarkSide

So offset to net metering , it’s the new PSC task from the power companies , public utility so its avg for customers served that is increased for non solar based on regulated rates of return. States gave credits that caused lots of solar users artificially , changed the “rate base” as it’s called necessitating change, it would have never been an issue with out the tax credits 

Here in deeep south, we get November -may with little AC, one month of intermittent heat, mostly take chill off, turn off , probably opening windows one or two hours later, our windows have been open for months, like your early summers up north, but when you poor guys get hit with heat, the older homes have none and your miserable 

Big decision time - gunna be sunny and 74 for our 1st official Wed Night Mens Dinner Club ski.  Water still at 40 - dry suit or brave the neoprene? Looks like it has finally stopped raining for awhile here.

6 minutes ago, braindamage said:

49deg air, 47def h2o at surface. 3 passes, went until my rear foot was almost too numb to feel the rtp. Then had a beer to celebrate. My wife took a pic afterward to show the snow still on the ground.

CB5A0311-E793-4728-8492-94D166362924.jpeg

CF767B0F-A390-496A-A1BC-B18C71B7EB74.png

We are still waiting for water in its liquid form, but with temps in the 60s coming up we might see early to mid may. 

6 hours ago, oldjeep said:

We are still waiting for water in its liquid form, but with temps in the 60s coming up we might see early to mid may. 

Still 30" of ice on our lake :cry:

6 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Is it typical to be that late? Where I grew up in Michigan it wasn’t uncommon to still have ice this late.

I can only remember once when it was clear on April1. My brother and I skied with no wetsuit and 34deg water. Took off from a permanent pier and landed on the beach.

7 hours ago, braindamage said:

Is it typical to be that late? Where I grew up in Michigan it wasn’t uncommon to still have ice this late.

I can only remember once when it was clear on April1. My brother and I skied with no wetsuit and 34deg water. Took off from a permanent pier and landed on the beach.

Pretty unusual.  Typically we have open water mid April.  This year hasnt been typical. 

Granddaddy, do you usually ride the Bonnet Carre?  I am originially from the Baton Rouge Area, and my mom used to live on the Amite.  We used to ski the Amite, but I would never take my wakeboat on it.  Way too much debris and too many drunks zipping around.  Our lakes in Montana are so clear and open that I am not sure I could adjust to being back on busy water.  My work has an office in Hammond, and I have considered a transfer to escape the winters here, but I hate to give up our lakehouse and smooth water.  Miss the food and the football though. 

On 4/22/2018 at 7:35 AM, oldjeep said:

Pretty unusual.  Typically we have open water mid April.  This year hasnt been typical. 

:plus1: This season might be close to starting for me but I am so far behind that the few nice days we have had I have been getting things other then boating done. Bummer but other things need work also.  I may need to go out of town next week so falling feather behind.

21 hours ago, guitarcrazy said:

Granddaddy, do you usually ride the Bonnet Carre?  I am originially from the Baton Rouge Area, and my mom used to live on the Amite.  We used to ski the Amite, but I would never take my wakeboat on it.  Way too much debris and too many drunks zipping around.  Our lakes in Montana are so clear and open that I am not sure I could adjust to being back on busy water.  My work has an office in Hammond, and I have considered a transfer to escape the winters here, but I hate to give up our lakehouse and smooth water.  Miss the food and the football though. 

Bonnet carre we “live” there but this year we lost it for real, waiting for Lake P to clean up, with rainfall were dirty from Spillway to Pearl basin .  Spillway to open soon?? But I let the shrimpers, crabbers snf fisherman to test water.  Usually it’s like we own it, when they see me coming, they go the other way .  I run from the Summer rain by going to either Spillway , Lafitte/Crown Point(up intercoastal all way to belle chasse locks or harvey ) or Pearl.  I stay away from areas like the Blind/Amite too much boat’s and build up and debris from last year flood, 

recently did boat ride trips to tchefuncta snd Jordon in Mississippi sort of like exploring and memory lane, just not worth it, winding and small and or changing depths and ridiculous weekend traffic during real season 

we did Tickfaw last year, nice but the big boat wakes were pretty serious

if you go to Spillway or Pearl you are guaranteed great time except Spillway straight and more open and more windy lower pearl is rarely calm except dusk  and more winding up River but still resl good predictable depth and curves aren’t to frequent 

Crown point has become part of our rain trio, if you don’t dodge the rain you don’t have as much fun or opportunity , use the radar and forecast for each location and head out. We did it more last year as our rain pattern summers have returned 

skiid the amite and boat rode into to it from both diversion canal and river entrance at Maurepas back in our blind river bar and prop stop days long before the poker run days in our outboard ski snd barefoot boats 

our main riding spot was between the interstate 10 second elevated section in Reserve accessed from the reserve canal at airline hwy and to ski spot between bridges and out to Maurepas after to party at one of the river bars

Blind River bar was taken down by last years flood I believe never to return cause of build up up the diversion canal and Prop stop still a big draw

Edited by granddaddy55

We used to go to Blind River bar in the 90s.  Haven't been back since.  We also stopped at Fred's in Port Vincent when we needed to refill the cooler.  It is hard to believe with all of the water in Louisiana there aren't that many great spots to wakeboard.  Everyone has a boat and they are always on the water getting in the way of us serious boaters! :-)

36 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

We used to go to Blind River bar in the 90s.  Haven't been back since.  We also stopped at Fred's in Port Vincent when we needed to refill the cooler.  It is hard to believe with all of the water in Louisiana there aren't that many great spots to wakeboard.  Everyone has a boat and they are always on the water getting in the way of us serious boaters! :-)

At the poor man’s waterways above on south shore , never really a problem, we can wakeboard and sometimes ski from dawn to dusk and then there’s always surfing , all day and there is never a time to hide from other boat traffic at my threesome of waterways, and dodging the rain if not on a lift requires different spots none of them even a full hour unless you stoop for fuel, Spillway 20 minutes without and 30 -35 with fuel from my house straight down airline hwy from Metairie, we come home interstate 

And now that they widened the Huey P long bridge it’s an easy cruise to Lafitte crown point, our furthest is the Pearl but that’s 3 lanes of interstate all the way with the new I 10 Bridge at Lske Pontchartrain, 35 minutes on interstate and 15-20 minutes on two lanes, easy “long” drive with restaurants at the new hwy 190 bridge over interstate 10 in Slidell where we exit to get to hwy 90 where the pearl is at LA state line 

Edited by granddaddy55

After a couple of free ski sets, it's time to start chasing bouys.  Ran 15 off at 32.4 twice:)

Edited by onamission
  • Like 3