Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Season is On!

granddaddy55

Yeper we have not got the snow the weatherman was calling for but everything is ice 3/4 to an inch of ice covering the ground. Very very windy yesterday and today. All my windows facing the lake are ice covered. This just $ucks!   Season postponed one more time!  If one could drive I could go up to the cabin and go snowmobiling. 10" up north at the cabin much more going farther north. Our winds are the kind that would flip boat lifts so maybe its good we have nothing in! I think the other good thing is with the wind the ice can't build up on the trees and power lines. Everything is dancing and shedding the ice before it can buildup 

One begins to wonder how short this season will be.. ya'll living down south have got life figured out.. I ask myself why I live here every year.... Errrrr.. for everyone in Minnesota Wisconsin Northern Michigan I feel even worse for you.. 

Edited by The Hulk
1 minute ago, The Hulk said:

One begins to wonder how short this season will be.. ya'll living down south have got life figured out.. I ask myself why I live here every year.... Errrrr

I get A good seven months of boating and some years even a solid eight months but I am thinking not this year!  And early and late season is some of the best skiing. This year I may be thinking like you.  I do enjoy the seasons most years.

14 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

One begins to wonder how short this season will be.. ya'll living down south have got life figured out.. I ask myself why I live here every year.... Errrrr.. for everyone in Minnesota Wisconsin Northern Michigan I feel even worse for you.. 

Duh.  In today’s world most employment, though I agree not all, provide opportunity/flexibility to move.  Even if you have to Trailer instead of lift it’s still easy. Most of our money rivers are insane

and even if you have to step down from lake lift life,  trailering works quite well and many places to go within 20-55 minutes that have low boat traffic in the middle of the day! 

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

Duh.  In today’s world most employment, though I agree not all, provide opportunity/flexibility to move.  Even if you have to Trailer instead of lift it’s still easy. Most of our money rivers are insane

and even if you have to step down from lake lift life,  trailering works quite well and many places to go within 20-55 minutes that have low boat traffic in the middle of the day! 

Trailering, prep.. 3-kids.. launching, taking out .. umm no thanks.. might as well toss in the towel at that point... Did it for a while back in the day , was good at it with some help and was fast at the ramp 1min or less rule.. of course that was a much smaller boat.. anyhow did the slip thing after a year of trailering as it was so much wasted time hitching up driving 20-50mins to lake launching getting loaded etc.. 1hr min on each end or more.. the slip was a dream saved me money and was only $1k/yr back then.. ended up boating way more.. load and go in a few mins and when done just lift her up and leave.. then after first kid and slip ..it was lake house or forget Boating.. can't be out all day and driving 20mins to in-laws or 45min home was a buzz kill.. lake house allows for 1-2hr windows or whenever,, 5min notice no prob.. was easy to work boating around the kids and playing on shore was a life saver.. 

I couldn't personally go back.. without kids I could maybe handle a slip situation but no more trailering for me.. some are in different situations with age and kids and locations that require it so I understand.. been there done that just can't go back.. 

If I move South I'd sell everything to be on water even if it means downgrading vs trailering.. 

I hate trailering with a passion now haha.. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Does this thread need revised to "Season is OFF" ??? Must of been some April fool's joke.. 

Seems someone is bored and flicking the switch back and forth around here.

On 4/10/2018 at 1:21 PM, AJwakedevil said:

Wow where are you at? That is worse than some minnesota summers. Of course, this year is an exception. We have this weekends forecast calling for 4-8 inches of wet snow/ice saturday, followed 3-5 inches of more heavy snow sunday (hopefully the weather men/women will be wrong). Temps dont get above 55 in the 10 day forecast. @Monkeybutt when do you think ice out will be on Long?

Further South, but much higher in Utah. Local reservoir is 7000 feet. If I'm willing to drive 5 hours South, I can shed the wetsuit completely by Memorial Day or so. My first outing is usually the first week of May at the reservoir. Suffice to say, I have the place to myself! I did my boat test ride there in January - 32 degree water and 32 degree air and 1/3 of the reservoir including the main ramp was frozen over! 

I'm a bit of a wuss too. I usually wear a wetsuit below a water temp of 65 or so. 

13 minutes ago, SomeYeahoo said:

Further South, but much higher in Utah. Local reservoir is 7000 feet. If I'm willing to drive 5 hours South, I can shed the wetsuit completely by Memorial Day or so. My first outing is usually the first week of May at the reservoir. Suffice to say, I have the place to myself! I did my boat test ride there in January - 32 degree water and 32 degree air and 1/3 of the reservoir including the main ramp was frozen over! 

I'm a bit of a wuss too. I usually wear a wetsuit below a water temp of 65 or so. 

Was that your video in Utah wake addicts of the Trailer sitting in the ice at launch with boat still in some ice in the water?

On 4/16/2018 at 8:27 AM, SomeYeahoo said:

hey, no one is calling you a wuss with a wetsuit at that temp! 

Update on the storm... my malibu had 18in of snow on it from 2 days of snow... 

We wont be riding here for a while. Time for the fiance and I to look for somewhere new to live once we tie the knot....

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

We wont be riding here for a while. Time for the fiance and I to look for somewhere new to live once we tie the knot....

I went out weekend before last... air temps were mid 70's, water temps were mid 60's.

.... just sayin'

In SE Wisconsin I've been out 3 times this year.  We will be out again soon.  Should be 50 here by Friday.

Thankfully we don't have the ice to deal with that those a couple of hours north still do.  I grew up in Wisconsin in line with the Twin Cities- I have been amazed what a difference living an hour or two south has made in ice out and temps.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:27 AM, SomeYeahoo said:

LOL... Hmm... me defiantly a wuss... was out last Sunday... air temp was cold in morning and wind was blowing (60's lol) and the day before was rainy and 50... I decided to take my 5 mil suit (yes 5 mil lol) over my 1 mil in expectation of cold waters... needless to say.. the water temp was quite nice and did not need the 5 mil (in 70s) but the dam wind... hands and head were cold... I have my penguin suit on until the wind calms or air temp is in mid to upper 70's... 

2 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

hey, no one is calling you a wuss with a wetsuit at that temp! 

Update on the storm... my malibu had 18in of snow on it from 2 days of snow... 

10-11 month season down here with one shorty wetsuit ride in last 12 months! 3 weeks ago I wore it

we only missed January as it was as cold as you guys, buy when that’s over we don’t have to wait for the ice to clear!

2 hours ago, onwi said:

In SE Wisconsin I've been out 3 times this year.  We will be out again soon.  Should be 50 here by Friday.

Thankfully we don't have the ice to deal with that those a couple of hours north still do.  I grew up in Wisconsin in line with the Twin Cities- I have been amazed what a difference living an hour or two south has made in ice out and temps.

You sir are a bad man!

Brought the boat home Friday. Since then, cold rain, drizzle, tornado 2 miles away, and woke up to 2 inches of snow on the boat this morning. It has never seen snow. Not too happy.

Steve B.

1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

Brought the boat home Friday. Since then, cold rain, drizzle, tornado 2 miles away, and woke up to 2 inches of snow on the boat this morning. It has never seen snow. Not too happy.

Steve B.

Snow probably washed your cover when it melted , bright side 😃

• Like 2
17 hours ago, DarkSide said:

We are out of wetsuits here now that combined temp is over 150...  supposed to be in the mid 90's this weekend and water is in the low 70's.  

Man, I miss it. Nothing like riding saguaro, Bartlett, and Canyon all year long! Pretty cool the pro tour came through firebird last weekend. I would have been there for sure if I still lived down there! 

After moving away I have questioned myself if I would ever be able to live down there full time... not 9 mo a year for college. How do you bare with the summer heat? Do you just AC hop all day and then hit the boat all afternoon?

• Like 1

Think about it, you guys heat hop all day unless dressed for snd working in cold

then when you get inside , have to strip , then cause if you run Heater aggressively it’d not good for health so you turn it down and put more clothes on!!!!!

yep, we AC hop, experience more dehydration , but have way more fun than you guys for many more months s year 

we don’t have their level of heat but our humidity will make you lay down

BUUUUT, we go 11 months a year snd wear suit 1-3 times a season 

as s boater/fisherman it’s a no brainer