Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf boards again...

Hermi88

Hey all,

So I've been reading the many forums and I am pretty undecided on which new surf board to get. Well 3 rather. I have two young boys 3 and 5, so I want to get them comfortable in the water and being around water sports. I was thinking a Phase 5 Scamp for the kids? Any other recommendations. Gives them years to learn on it.

My current board is a 5.4 Hyperlite Broadcast. I got very comfortable riding it and want something more challenging. Most of my friends also ride it and it seems to be a good beginner board. Maybe a little big for guys around the 180lb mark? Some seemed to have trouble going ropeless, not sure if its the board or just rider skill at this point.  I'm hoping to get more into airs and spins. I am 6'1" and 220lbs. 

And then I need a board for my wife. She has only really rode the same Broadcast as me and had a hard time riding ropeless. Hoping to get her something that is more comfortable for her and other lady friends. She is 5'6" 120lbs. But I was hoping to get something accommodating for 100-150lbs. Doesn't really need anything advanced. Maybe something with fin options if she gets more competent. 

We will be behind a 22MXZ

Thanks guys!

Edited by Hermi88

I just picked up the Scamp for my youngest and my wife rides the Ronix Koal Powertail Technora.  My wife has really enjoyed the Powertail.  When I was looking for a  kids board, everyone seemed to praise the Scamp for kids.

20170805_124714.jpg

20171225_075826.jpg

4 hours ago, Kblagg said:

I just picked up the Scamp for my youngest and my wife rides the Ronix Koal Powertail Technora.  My wife has really enjoyed the Powertail.  When I was looking for a  kids board, everyone seemed to praise the Scamp for kids.

20170805_124714.jpg

20171225_075826.jpg

Would the power tail be 4'5" or 4'11". What is the major difference in sizes? Mostly for weight or?? Kinda new to boards. Just grabbed one and have ridden it lol.

47 minutes ago, Hermi88 said:

Would the power tail be 4'5" or 4'11". What is the major difference in sizes? Mostly for weight or?? Kinda new to boards. Just grabbed one and have ridden it lol.

Pretty sure it's the 4'11.  I can check in the morning.  The difference in sizes is typically for different weight ranges.  While the shorter board would likely have been fine for her, it's her first board so didn't want anything to squirrely.

I should be a spokesman for Phase5 because I won't ride anything but P5. We have owned or had on our boat nearly every brand, and most people who ride with us concur that Phase5 boards are awesome. Whether it be the Scamp, Fish, Superfish or Matrix, they are easy to ride for all skill levels. The ModelX and Danielo Diamond are perfect boards for all skill levels. The ModelX 53' can be ridden by anyone from 100lbs to 200lbs. My 10 year son and I shared the ModelX all last season. Now we each ride the Matrix.

• Like 3

I will echo the Phase5 Model X. I love mine. I did a demo with about 5 different P5 boards and the Model X was by far my favorite. My dad has the XB, it is good for beginner but I love how light the carbon fiber Model X is and is much more maneuverable. 

39 minutes ago, Smitty4UK said:

I will echo the Phase5 Model X. I love mine. I did a demo with about 5 different P5 boards and the Model X was by far my favorite. My dad has the XB, it is good for beginner but I love how light the carbon fiber Model X is and is much more maneuverable. 

How did you demo boards? I would love to try some of the Phase5 boards out and find which one I like. I have heard great things about the model X and would love to try it out!

I feel like im torn between the Diamond, Hammerhead and Model X. I haven't rode in 3 years because ive been out of a boat. But I still have my Broadcast. I want something that I can progress into more tricks with. Of the 3 what do you guys think?

26 minutes ago, Hermi88 said:

I feel like im torn between the Diamond, Hammerhead and Model X. I haven't rode in 3 years because ive been out of a boat. But I still have my Broadcast. I want something that I can progress into more tricks with. Of the 3 what do you guys think?

I pulled the trigger on a Hammerhead.

I’ve heard great things about the scamp. Another option is Hyperlite gromcast. 

My daugter is 11 now and still loving the gromcast.    

Edited by Rceider

Check with a local dealer that sells multiple brands. My local malibu dealer has a pro shop and sells several. They offer a “performance guarantee “ meaning you go in talk with the staff on available options that fit your needs, and you give the board a shot, if you are not happy with it they will take it back and u can use the $$ as credit toward another board. 

I went through 3 boards in a month to find the one that fit right.

granted if you damage the board, don’t expect to swap it out

34 minutes ago, Kblagg said:

I got my hammerhead LTD from boardco.com for $629 shipped.  Cheapest I could find anywhere.

Troy and son Mitch who own Boardco.com have a huge selection and do an outstanding job discounting last year's boards each year and if you find a price you like better elsewhere, they most the time will match it. Lots of great board beta from Boardco's staff as well. :thumbup:

Edited by alpensurf23
On 2/19/2018 at 2:21 PM, CBray4 said:

How did you demo boards? I would love to try some of the Phase5 boards out and find which one I like. I have heard great things about the model X and would love to try it out!

There is a company here in Kentucky http://www.wakeaction.com I told them my dad and I were each going to buy a board and so they did a surf night with me and a bunch of my friends and brought 5 boards for us to demo. Gave us great pricing too.

• Like 2

Just picked up a Victoria Pixie for my wife.  Victoriawake.com is running a clearance sale on their 2017 boards, some smoking deals on amazing boards. Reasonable shipping rates to Canada.    

• Like 2
18 hours ago, saxton15 said:

Just picked up a Victoria Pixie for my wife.  Victoriawake.com is running a clearance sale on their 2017 boards, some smoking deals on amazing boards. Reasonable shipping rates to Canada.    

Victoria is located about a mile from my house in San Clemente.  I went down to the shop to check out the boards and production.  I love that they are a small local shaper, putting out quality boards in the heart of surf town.  I saw many of those 2017, and they are a great value.  Im going to take my wife down to pick a board out in the next few weeks.