Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 VLX vs 22 VLX

iusom28

Hey guys -  this is either a really simple or really complicated question!  But why is there both a 21 and 22 vlx?  I get that the 22 is 10 inches longer and can hold an extra person, but it simply surprises me that Malibu would have two boats that are so close together if there wasn't some other significant differences?   With only 8 wakesetter boats total,  what distinguishes these two?  (Thanks for helping me with an upcoming purchase!!!)

Malibu has a 20, 21, 22, and 23 foot traditional bow.  Each one has only a foot or so between each size.  Is there a reason your are comparing the 21 & 22 footer?  Maybe you can tell us a little more about your crew size, sport preference (wakeboard, surf, ski, etc.) budget, and location and we can provide some guildance.  Sorry, just not sure what you are trying to get at with this post. 

Edited by SCMike

The 21 VLX is also a narrower boat than the 22 VLX so there’s a decent overall size difference between the two boats. 

Malibu has positioned it and the 21 MLX as their entry level boats with fixed pricing and options, although I think there’s a few options that can be added. The 22 VLX is at a higher price point and can be fully optioned up.

The 21 VLX and the 22 VLX have almost nothing in common besides the “VLX” moniker. If you’re wondering why Malibu has two completely different boats names VLX, a lot of us wondered the same thing when the 21 VLX was introduced in 2017. However, keep in mind they have two LSV’s and two MXZ’s as well. 

34 minutes ago, IXFE said:

The 21 VLX and the 22 VLX have almost nothing in common besides the “VLX” moniker. If you’re wondering why Malibu has two completely different boats names VLX, a lot of us wondered the same thing when the 21 VLX was introduced in 2017. However, keep in mind they have two LSV’s and two MXZ’s as well. 

Except the 2 LSVs and 2 MXZs have more in common with each other then the VLX.  Again, Malibu causing confusion with their naming.

To the OP,  the major difference between the 21 and 22 VLX is the beam and length. The 22 is a larger boat both in length and width.   

There are minor finishes between them like lack of combing pads at the walk through area on the 21VLX.

What is the same is also significant - Surfgate, Powerwedge 2, “Raptor” Monsoon motor, helm with the 7” and 12” touch screen, and 5 year warranty.   

If you don’t need the extra size, the 21VLX is an awesome deal (relative to what all these boats cost of course).   So is the 21MLX, which is the picklefork version of the 21VLX, but has more freeboard as @IXFE pointed out to me earlier.  

Thanks guys!   It just seems like the other models (LSV and MXZ) are separated by 2 feet to help distinguish the two models, whereas the VLX models are closer in size.   I'm probably not interested in an "entry level" model.  I have a 2008 20LSV with power wedge, center ballast only, G3 tower and there is nothing "wrong" with the boat - and it just barely fits in my garage!   It was my first boat and I will likely stay Malibu for life.  I spend about equal time skiing, wakeboarding, and surfing.  I do not salom.   We are a family of 5 with 3 smaller kids that will only keep wanting to do more.  So I'm ready to upgrade and looking forward to the surf upgrade the most since that's the greatest deficiency in what I currently have.   My best friend has a 24 MXZ and that's a lot of boat for our smaller Michigan lake, plus I don't love the pickle fork look.  So I'm leaning 22 VLX.....and there's nothing like an upgrade that will make me throw out any budget I start with!

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, iusom28 said:

I have a 2008 20LSV with power wedge, center ballast only, G3 tower 

Unless you added it, you do not have a G3 tower.  You most likely have the Illusion tower - the G3 is a much nicer tower.

14 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Unless you added it, you do not have a G3 tower.  You most likely have the Illusion tower - the G3 is a much nicer tower.

Yep - I added it in 2011!  The Illusion was discontinued the same week I tried to get it - thank goodness!

19 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

I heard the t22 wakeboard wake was nowhere near as good as the 22vlx. Is it true?

I really don't see how that can be true.  Same length, same beam, same weight, same PW2, same parent company.  I'm pretty sure same hull. The 2018 T22 hull is actually brand new this year so it might be even better.  My buddy has a 22 VLX so in about 2 months when the water warms up we can compare it to my 2018 T22 and let you know for sure!

Actually maybe I heard that about the T23.  Anyway it bummed me out because the T22 or T23 is my current dream upgrade boat... 5 year plan?  It seems like they'd be the same hull but I haven't ever heard for sure.  

21 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

Actually maybe I heard that about the T23.  Anyway it bummed me out because the T22 or T23 is my current dream upgrade boat... 5 year plan?  It seems like they'd be the same hull but I haven't ever heard for sure.  

The difference between Axis and Malibu isn't really the wakes/waves, it's the much more available options and nicer amenities in the Malibu like the command center and such. 

Edited by Wavemaker
2 minutes ago, Wavemaker said:

The difference between Axis and Malibu isn't really the wakes/waves, it's the much more available options and nicer amenities in the Malibu like the command center and such. 

Right but w/ everything focused on surfing ski and wake board wakes aren't a priority anymore. 

51 minutes ago, Wavemaker said:

I'm pretty sure same hull. The 2018 T22 hull is actually brand new this year so it might be even better. 

Lol, you literally contradicted yourself in back to back sentences.  

I have never seen confirmation that Axis/Malibu share running surfaces, nor anything hung definitive that says they don’t.  

24 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Lol, you literally contradicted yourself in back to back sentences.  

I have never seen confirmation that Axis/Malibu share running surfaces, nor anything hung definitive that says they don’t.  

Haha yeah I kinda did. What I was thinking is that the 2018 T22 hull is new this year (which it is) but it might also be the same hull as previous years 22 VLX, but I don't know that. Therefore I was trying (unsuccessfully) to say that the 2018 T22 hull should either be the same or better hull as previous years 22 VLX. I don't think the 2018 VLX has a new hull this year but I don't know that for sure.