Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

craziest thing happened - Power Wedge deployed back up in garage


hawaiianstyln

Recommended Posts

I was finishing up a shower pump replacement (same wires/same pump location from the failed pump) along with installing a Promariner 20 Plus onboard charger.  The onboard charger was super easy and did not touch any existing wires except to wire the charger banks to each battery.  After I finished the shower pump replacement, I switched the pump on/off/on/off/on/off and then knew I was good to go.  As I was gathering my tools and cleaning up the ski locker, I stood up and the Power Wedge started to deploy back up in the upright position.  I keep it down while in the garage for the winter just for a few inches more of space as I'm nearly touching the back wall of my garage.

How the heck can this happen if the paddle wheel isn't moving to sense 1mph+??  I was able to deploy it back down and I couldn't replicate the problem again.  Turned the batteries off and on several times, flipped the Shower pump switch on/off several times, still couldn't replicate.

Any ideas

Link to comment

When working on modern cars and boats that are electronics heavy it’s a good idea to completely kill all electrical power. Batteries should be disconnected ect.. Stray trans can cause crazy things to happen or fry a component.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This 100% guess becuase I've never had a power wedge(as soon as the ice melts I will) 

I bet it has to do with the length of time you had the power disconnected.  There is probably an internal memory that can hold through shorter disconnects but since you had it disconnected for a while its processor started cold and went through a reboot of sorts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The wedge will auto deploy at rest when I use the presets to auto fill. After that I have to be moving to get it to move in any direction. With the computers on these things, who knows what got activated when the power was turned back on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, vanamp said:

This 100% guess becuase I've never had a power wedge(as soon as the ice melts I will) 

I bet it has to do with the length of time you had the power disconnected.  There is probably an internal memory that can hold through shorter disconnects but since you had it disconnected for a while its processor started cold and went through a reboot of sorts. 

this is the only thing I can think of.....  I didn't push any buttons at the console to get to a demo mode or what not.  I was sitting in the ski locker after the shower pump install.  Completely boggles my mind!

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

When working on modern cars and boats that are electronics heavy it’s a good idea to completely kill all electrical power. Batteries should be disconnected ect.. Stray trans can cause crazy things to happen or fry a component.

correct, everything was disconnected using the duel perko switch while I installed the onboard charger and shower pump.  It was then at the point I was done with both installs to test.  Once I switched on the perko to "All" batteries, I went back in the ski locker to sit down and flip on the shower pump switch on/off/on/off, etc... to test.  Once I was done and knew it worked on demand, I stood up with my tools in my hands to get out of the ski locker and the damn thing started to deploy in the upright. 

 

Crazy....Ghost in the wires!

 

 

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

I just tried to spin the paddle wheel while the ignition was on, my buddy was sitting in driver seat holding the up arrow on the power wedge and nothing happened.  It wouldn't come back up spinning the wheel.  The dash gauge was even registering about 6.7 mph constantly spinning it.

If this thing is hydraulically stuck down how would I get it back up.  The boat is currently at my buddy's storage since I'm in the middle of raising the header in my garage for a new 8' door install.  However, I will get the boat back in the garage in the next few days.  Is there anything I can do or do I need to drive this thing 1.5 hours away to Skier's Pier in Michigan?

I was really hoping to troubleshoot it myself.  Is there a way I can put this in demo mode to deploy back up?  I should have checked the fuse before I left the barn,  I will check that when I get the boat back in my garage.

I really don't know the architecture of how the entire power wedge system works except I know the fuse is underneath the helm in the Medallion box, right?

 

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I just tried to spin the paddle wheel while the ignition was on, my buddy was sitting in driver seat holding the up arrow on the power wedge and nothing happened.  It wouldn't come back up spinning the wheel.  The dash gauge was even registering about 6.7 mph constantly spinning it.

If this thing is hydraulically stuck down how would I get it back up.  The boat is currently at my buddy's storage since I'm in the middle of raising the header in my garage for a new 8' door install.  However, I will get the boat back in the garage in the next few days.  Is there anything I can do or do I need to drive this thing 1.5 hours away to Skier's Pier in Michigan?

I was really hoping to troubleshoot it myself.  Is there a way I can put this in demo mode to deploy back up?  I should have checked the fuse before I left the barn,  I will check that when I get the boat back in my garage.

I really don't know the architecture of how the entire power wedge system works except I know the fuse is underneath the helm in the Medallion box, right?

 

 

To get the wedge to come back up you’ll need to change the speed control from GPS to paddle wheel and have someone else spin the wheel while you set wedge to stow. 

Edited by Dfowkes
  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

To get the wedge to come back up you’ll need to change the speed control from GPS to paddle wheel and have someone else spin the wheel while you set wedge to stow. 

 

didn't know or think of that one.  I will have to figure out how to change it to paddle wheel, I'm sure it's in the settings easy to find.  Even though it was registering  6.7mph speed on the digital speedo?  Thanks!

Edited by hawaiianstyln
Link to comment
ahopkinsVTX
1 minute ago, hawaiianstyln said:

 

didn't know or think of that one.  I will have to figure out how to change it to paddle wheel, I'm sure it's in the settings easy to find.  Thanks!

I’m not sure but I think your boat only has paddle wheel cruise. Stupid question... were you spinning it the right way? Don’t think it will work in reverse. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I’m not sure but I think your boat only has paddle wheel cruise. Stupid question... were you spinning it the right way? Don’t think it will work in reverse. 

not a stupid question at all I thought about that while underneath and spun it both ways at a high speed.  Nothing..

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You should have a 30 amp standard fuse or a 15 amp resettable fuse in the Medallion box. Malibu used both in 2008 and they say don't change it up. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Also, instead of crawling under the boat you can unscrew the paddle wheel in the bilge and spin it sitting in the boat. On mine it is on starboard side next to the V drive and access under center cushion. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...