Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I *need* to replace amp & speakers

ThingFish

Hi folks,

I have a 2000 Escape LSV which is still running the stock strereo.  I'm going to add tower speakers and a sub, and a WS-420 preamp so I can manage volumes.  I'm not going to add anything extreme; I'm looking at a Bazooka powered sub and Bazooka MT8265 double ended tubby tower speakers.  I know these aren't top of the line but it's what I can afford.

I need to determine if I *need* to replace the 6 stock speakers and the stock amp.  The speakers are JVC 6.5", 100w 4 ohm, and the amp is JVC KS-AX504, 4 channel 80w.  If I replace them I'll get similar speakers and probably a 6 channel, 100w amp, so I can power the cabin and tower speakers with a single amp.

In the past I've worked from the rule-of-thumb, if you replace anything, replace the speakers.  So, do you folks think I must replace the 20 year old amp, or does that still have life?  The whole system has always been weak, which is why I'm thinking upgrade, but I don't want to finish only to discover I've wasted my time and money.

If I can recycle the speakers or amp, I'll more to spend on the tower speakers.

Thanks!

About the sub, I currently have a Infinity Basslink installed under the helm, but it's big and ugly and sounds like crap.  (Hooked through the speaker lines, so would probably sound better via line in).  Still, if I try to install a "proper" 10" or 12" in an enclosure, I don't have a good spot for it.  I've got the heater under the helm so not much space left under there, and I put dry vests in the passenger compartment.  That's why I'm looking toward the bazooka as it can be put next to the helm and it'll be out of the way.

2 hours ago, ThingFish said:

About the sub, I currently have a Infinity Basslink installed under the helm, but it's big and ugly and sounds like crap.  (Hooked through the speaker lines, so would probably sound better via line in).  Still, if I try to install a "proper" 10" or 12" in an enclosure, I don't have a good spot for it.  I've got the heater under the helm so not much space left under there, and I put dry vests in the passenger compartment.  That's why I'm looking toward the bazooka as it can be put next to the helm and it'll be out of the way.

There is plenty of room under there.  Remove the carpeted kick plate.  You boat is bigger than mine, same vintage and I have a 12" Exile in a ported box under there...and a heater too.

Don't cheap out on your stereo.  I'm not saying you need to spend 10k, but cheap in = cheap out.

I would prioritize the build, then evaluate all existing equipment. If a speaker sounds blown or shows signs of weathering, then it becomes a need. If you just want to change the sound, go up in performance, change the look or just freshen up, then its a want and can go down a little on the budget list. 

So id look and listen to the speakers and then decided based on that.   

On 2/15/2018 at 9:44 PM, Stevo said:

How much are the speakers you are buying? And the budget for the build?

I haven't decided on specific speakers for the 6.5" in boat.  From most of what I read on this forum folks don't seem to worry too much about specifics in this area.  I figure $300-$500 should buy 6 replacement speakers.

The budget for the entire project is around $2k.  For that I want the WS-420BT preamp, a fairly basic sub (as bass isn't critical for my tastes), as much on the tower as I can afford, and amps and in boats as necessary.  I'm not going to replace the head unit as I'm going to pick up a Sony nw-a45 for music selection.

Again, one of the big questions I have is if the existing amp is worth anything, or if technology has advanced such that an amp with similar specs will perform much better give the 20 year age difference.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:27 AM, MLA said:

I would prioritize the build, then evaluate all existing equipment. If a speaker sounds blown or shows signs of weathering, then it becomes a need. If you just want to change the sound, go up in performance, change the look or just freshen up, then its a want and can go down a little on the budget list. 

So id look and listen to the speakers and then decided based on that.   

Yeah that's in line with my thinking.  As I said in another post, the WS-420BT is priority 1, and I want as much on the tower as possible.  One problem I have on the tower is limited space between the tower and the bimini when folded.  I'm going to retrieve the bimini tomorrow so I can take some measurements.

Checking the speakers one by one is a good idea, but I suspect if I replace 1, I should replace them all so they're consistent.

Thanks!!!

On 2/16/2018 at 12:17 AM, Nitrousbird said:

There is plenty of room under there.  Remove the carpeted kick plate.  You boat is bigger than mine, same vintage and I have a 12" Exile in a ported box under there...and a heater too.

Don't cheap out on your stereo.  I'm not saying you need to spend 10k, but cheap in = cheap out.

One concern I have with putting a sub under there is that I'll still be stacking dry vests in there, and I don't want to muffle the sound too much.  I realize that low frequencies travel well, but still.

Here’s what I would do.

pull the kick panel under helm and put the sub there.

exile sub

https://www.exileaudio.com/store/amplifiers/subwoofers/xi12-dvc-12-600w.html

Q-Power QBomb 12" Sealed Car Subwoofer Sub Box Enclosure | QBOMB12S Single  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NG38WZ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QsnJAbJB36TSZ

Demo 5 channel javelin amp, powers inboats and sub

https://www.exileaudio.com/store/hot-deals/javelindemo.html

demo ZLD

https://www.exileaudio.com/store/hot-deals/zone-controller-preamp.html

Demo Bluetooth adaptor

https://www.exileaudio.com/store/hot-deals/exile-premium-bluetooth-music-receiver.html

Exile sub- 300

Sub box $50

Javelin $480

Zld $200

bluetooth -$38

exile 6.5s $180 each. $520

Total $1378.

So id add on a set of demo surf 9’s for $699

https://www.exileaudio.com/store/hot-deals/demo-sxt9.html

and an Xm30 to power them but that take you $500 over the $2k budget.

the JVC amp is light duty not sure what class but puts out very little power , I’d Craigslist what you have to offset some cost

35 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Here’s what I would do.

pull the kick panel under helm and put the sub there.

Great advice.  Thanks!  I know a lot of folks put the sub under the helm, but I've already installed the heater up under there, so that space is taken. :/

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, ThingFish said:

One concern I have with putting a sub under there is that I'll still be stacking dry vests in there, and I don't want to muffle the sound too much.  I realize that low frequencies travel well, but still.

Not the observer compartment locker...under the helm.  

23 hours ago, ThingFish said:

Great advice.  Thanks!  I know a lot of folks put the sub under the helm, but I've already installed the heater up under there, so that space is taken. :/

You need to redo that heater.  I have a smaller boat with a 3 port heater yet the sub fits fine under there.