Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Music services

Hyperryd

We have the paid versions of pandora and spotify.  One wish I had was that you could turn the explicit filtering on for Spotify.  Seems only apple music has decent filtering.  My kid loves music but I can't turn him loose on spotify due to the songs that come up recommended for him.  Will likely be switching to apple for that reason alone.

Edited by JeffK
2 hours ago, JeffK said:

We have the paid versions of pandora and spotify.  One wish I had was that you could turn the explicit filtering on for Spotify.  Seems only apple music has decent filtering.  My kid loves music but I can't turn him loose on spotify due to the songs that come up recommended for him.  Will likely be switching to apple for that reason alone.

You're right on with this Jeff.  With Spotify having explicit content labeling built in I really don't understand the absence of a filter. 

I did a quick search awhile back as we wanted to play a few downloaded playlists at a family get together and found there were over 30 threads alone on Spotify's website asking for this feature to be put in place.  

My solution in the end was to download a playlist that I liked, and in the span of a few minutes I transferred all non-explicit tracks to another playlist.  

4 minutes ago, Pra4sno said:

You're right on with this Jeff.  With Spotify having explicit content labeling built in I really don't understand the absence of a filter. 

I did a quick search awhile back as we wanted to play a few downloaded playlists at a family get together and found there were over 30 threads alone on Spotify's website asking for this feature to be put in place.  

My solution in the end was to download a playlist that I liked, and in the span of a few minutes I transferred all non-explicit tracks to another playlist.  

My solution as well, but I'd love to let them search for their favorites, knowing that the filter was doing it's job.  Seems like a small fix since they already are labeling them.  I'm strongly considering moving back to apple.  Hate that I will lose all my playlists, but the piece of mind is worth it.  Although, I've read there are some tools out there that will rebuild them, I just haven't tried them yet.

Edited by JeffK
2 minutes ago, JeffK said:

My solution as well, but I'd love to let them search for their favorites, knowing that the filter was doing it's job.  Seems like a small fix since they already are labeling them.  I'm strongly considering moving back to apple.  Hate that I will lose all my playlists, but the piece of mind is worth it.  Although, I've read there are some tools out there that will rebuild them, I just haven't tried them yet.

Absolutely.  There really isn't a GREAT option at this point, only a few good ones.  To think that just 10 years ago I had three phone book sized CD cases in my truck...hopefully in 10 years with all of the data coming out we're at a point where we do have truly great music resources.  

One workaround I saw for Spotify was that on a Family Plan you can set the age of the profile's user.  The lowest you can go is 13, but it sounds like it will remove many explicit tracks and also change recommendations based on that age.  It is not a filter, but might work ok.

1 minute ago, Pra4sno said:

Absolutely.  There really isn't a GREAT option at this point, only a few good ones.  To think that just 10 years ago I had three phone book sized CD cases in my truck...hopefully in 10 years with all of the data coming out we're at a point where we do have truly great music resources.  

One workaround I saw for Spotify was that on a Family Plan you can set the age of the profile's user.  The lowest you can go is 13, but it sounds like it will remove many explicit tracks and also change recommendations based on that age.  It is not a filter, but might work ok.

Definitely worth looking into.

13 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Or just not censor the content, as your kids are hearing it all in school anyway...

And during Olympic snowboarding TV coverage. ;)

Edited by John I.
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Or just not censor the content, as your kids are hearing it all in school anyway...

Not when my kids go to catholic school. Thanks guys. I’m thinking I’m going to look a lot closer at Apple Music. 

5 hours ago, Hyperryd said:

Not when my kids go to catholic school. Thanks guys. I’m thinking I’m going to look a lot closer at Apple Music. 

I know plenty of people that went to various Catholic schools.  That's not what I gathered from their experiences, but perhaps your children go to a school that is an exception to that norm...

I will say once I got to college, a few girls that had went to catholic high schools went crazy with their new found college freedom.  

Back on topic - Apple Music, we also like the filter.  I only wish you could apply a filter to a playlist rather than globally though.  We turn it on and off depending on the crowd we are with.  

• Like 1
On 2/15/2018 at 8:58 AM, oldjeep said:

I have sirris in both cars and the boat.  The boat subscription is around 6 bucks a month. 

How do you get Sirius that cheap?  What I usually do is let it expire in my truck, then call them back in a month and tell them it was too expensive.  Then they give it to me for half price, which is still something like $10 per month.  

I love my playlists on Spotify, and where we boat reception is spotty, so I have to download my own.  Our student plan is only for 5 people, and we pay $15.94.   If I can get 7 people on Apple for that price or less, I may defect. 

I am also in the Sirius camp.  $25 for 5 months.  I put a reminder in my calendar to call in and cancel before it renews, and tell them that I will only pay my previous promotional price.

For me, the best part of Sirius is that I can listen to football in the fall.

I’ve been using Apple Music since it’s conception. Love Beats 1, you get top performers/artists having their own time slot to DJ which exposes you to a lot of music you wouldn’t generally here or would have to do a lot of searching to get the song. That being said I hate how when you shuffle your songs it seems to always play the same songs. I have over 2000 songs downloaded to my phone but I swear it only plays the same 200.  Songs that I download I generally never hear in shuffle, just songs that I’ve downloaded years ago. Not sure if this is happening to anyone else but it’s a pain. There’s a recently added /downloaded playlist but it only holds the last 5-10 that have been downloaded. If it wasn’t for Beats 1 I’d try something else. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

How do you get Sirius that cheap?  What I usually do is let it expire in my truck, then call them back in a month and tell them it was too expensive.  Then they give it to me for half price, which is still something like $10 per month.  

I love my playlists on Spotify, and where we boat reception is spotty, so I have to download my own.  Our student plan is only for 5 people, and we pay $15.94.   If I can get 7 people on Apple for that price or less, I may defect. 

I have 2 other subscrptions - lifetime in the truck and yearly in my wifes car, so the 3rd music only one is cheap. 

I know it’s so annoying, there used to be a little arrow botton that fixed it but they took it away in iOS 11. It’s kinda like they take your most “liked” songs are feature them on the shuffle. A playlist with 800 songs should not play the same song within an hour.

• Like 2

Google Play Music doesn't seem to get much love from anybody, but it's a real shame as I much prefer it to anything else. Granted I haven't tried Spotify, but I'm so happy with Google that I've never wanted to. I adopted from the beginning so I only pay 7.99 per month. I tried Apple music and I ran into a couple times where music that I wanted wasn't available, where I've never run into that problem with GPM. It's got the same features (ie. streaming, downloading locally, radio stations, etc.) that the others have and for me the best part is you can upload any downloaded music, like mixtapes or CDs to the Google server and stream it normally. I will say, however, that if you're an iPhone user (...-_-...) then Google isn't the best option because the iOS app is absolute garbage.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

What's everyone listening to these days?  I made the mistake of letting my daughter have access to my spotify since I use it next to never.  However, I used to be able to just enjoy whatever new stuff it was showing me, or new releases & now it's nothing but that crap rap & crap R&B the kids listen to these days, god it's awful.  Anyway, need some music & 80's metal isn't doing it for me, electronic music is getting old, what else?

4 minutes ago, racer808 said:

What's everyone listening to these days?  I made the mistake of letting my daughter have access to my spotify since I use it next to never.  However, I used to be able to just enjoy whatever new stuff it was showing me, or new releases & now it's nothing but that crap rap & crap R&B the kids listen to these days, god it's awful.  Anyway, need some music & 80's metal isn't doing it for me, electronic music is getting old, what else?

Logan can introduce you to some EDM stuff that's a mix of electronic and live/big band feel. Like Big Gigantic, Griz etc.
We were at a Marian Hill concert this weekend and loooots of women were going nuts, which is a good sign for "boat music." My wife llllllloves lots of their stuff. Particularly "Subtle Thing" at the moment.

I like a lot of the new stuff on Alison Wonderland's new album, as well as Gents and Jawns, and I've been on a R3hab kick lately, but that's definitely all electronic.
I'm almost ashamed to admit I downloaded Cardi B's "I Like It" - but it has a llllllot of bass, so it sounds good on the boat. 

1 minute ago, ibelonginprison said:

Logan can introduce you to some EDM stuff that's a mix of electronic and live/big band feel. Like Big Gigantic, Griz etc.
We were at a Marian Hill concert this weekend and loooots of women were going nuts, which is a good sign for "boat music." My wife llllllloves lots of their stuff. Particularly "Subtle Thing" at the moment.

I like a lot of the new stuff on Alison Wonderland's new album, as well as Gents and Jawns, and I've been on a R3hab kick lately, but that's definitely all electronic.
I'm almost ashamed to admit I downloaded Cardi B's "I Like It" - but it has a llllllot of bass, so it sounds good on the boat. 

I'm a former techno head, been mixing records & playing raves since 93.  I just can't get into some of the newer stuff or Bass Nectar, or anything that sounds like Dubstep.  I really enjoy Deadmou5e & Eric Prydz in the headphones at the gym it's just not good boat music