Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Music services

Hyperryd

Ok so I have had paid Pandora for years. Just the normal $4.99 subscription. I’m looking to upgrade to a $9.99 plan. At that price point I’m looking at Pandora Premium, Spotify and Apple Music. If those 3 what is everybody’s preference and why. What makes one better?  I know this is like admin who makes the best truck but I want to hear opinions. 

I haven't used Pandora Premium at all or Spotify much but I will say that I love Apple Music! At $14.99($9.99 for a single) it is a killer deal for the family plan for up to 7 people I think. My wife and I both use it a lot. It is very easy to use. My 60+ year old parents are on my account as well and they know how to use it. 

It is super easy to make playlists, or add songs and store them locally on your device so you don't have to stream them. Our lake has bad cell service in a lot of areas so I download everything locally and it plays seamlessly no matter where we are on the lake. I'm sure you can do that with the others too, not sure. 

I really like it because of how easy it is to use and how it literally has everything I have ever looked for. I make a lake playlist and shuffle it everytime we are at the lake. You can also share playlists with anyone that has Apple music. 

I like Apple Music.

Disclaimer: I will say I do drink a little of their Kool-Aid. All of my stuff is Apple in my house. I do a lot of music production and photo and video production on my computers. 

I have spotify paid.  I download all at the highest bitcount, to get the best clarity. only downside is you have to download them every 30 days if you listen offline which we have to at the lakes we go to. if I had better internet I could stream it.  oh well.

I have Sirius, but ONLY for Stern and my wife likes it in her car.  Otherwise, I'd dump it in a heartbeat.

I pay for Spotify.  I have the hacked Pandora that allows for unlimited skips & no ads...I never use it and prefer Spotify enough to pay for it.

Apple Music doesn't have the device integration alone to justify paying for it.

I use Spotify paid. Easy to save songs for offline/no service listening. Easy to make playlists and there are tons of other playlist that you can listen to/save if you don't like making your own. Can listen to your friends playlists that have Spotify if you like theirs. I listen to mainly EDM and country and I can always find the songs I'm looking for. Typically I just listen to new playlist to find new music. Sound quality has always been good. I don't have any experience with the Apple or Pandora premium so not sure how it compares. But I've never had a need to switch so I'm happy with it. You can do a family account with Spotify as well for I think $15? Gets you 6 accounts.

• Like 1

If you are an apple family, apple music has a lot going for it.  It basically puts the whole record store in your music app.  Seamless integration.  

I've been using amazon music a lot lately (the prime music library is pretty OK for "free" if you are already paying for Prime, with no commercials and pretty good SQ).  Their paid service ("Unlimited" in amazon-speak) is $7.99 a month and there's a three month trial for $0.99.  If you use an echo/echo dot at home (i.e. "Alexa"), it is pretty good too.

13 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

If you use an echo/echo dot at home (i.e. "Alexa"), it is pretty good too.

Spotify fully integrates into the Echo system as well as the primary music service.

• Like 2

I’m an Apple Music fan but like others have said I drink their Koop-aid... Everything just works so smoothly together, from my iPhone, to Apple TV to Apple watch. 

I’m not sure what it’s like on other devices having Spotify be your default or whatever, but it’s so simple just plug in or connect Bluetooth and it automatically plays on Apple Music. 

We’ve had Sirius on the boat but the quality wasn’t the greatest and Apple Music was much preferred. Although in the vehicles XM 95% of the time just for simplicity. 

I  just upgraded from Pandora One to Pandora Premium. Over the last couple years I have tried Tidal, and Spotify. To me, Pandora is a lot easier to use. Maybe, because I am use to it. Also all of my stations that I have been tuning over the last umpteen years integrated right in. If you do Pandora, make sure you go to the settings and set Pandora for higher quality sound. (Just upgrading to Premium did not set for high quality sound.) It allows you to change audio quality for data, wifi, etc. They are trying to protect data usage. Sound quality is noticeably better when changed to high quality:)

Edited by Sparky450

I find Spotify easy to use, I listen to it at the office and in the car. Only issue I have with Spotify is that it has been locking up a lot lately. Both on my phone and on the computer, not sure why.

3 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

nice thread. I will stick with spotify.  SQ matters as @shawndoggy says. 

SQ is exactly why I went to Premium. I also do not use blue tooth on the boat.

1 hour ago, COOP said:

Spotify for me. I have the family plan, and if you pay with a Capital One card, like I do, you get a 50% discount. So my family plan is $7.50 a month.

I will also be trying Spotify out a little more. As I have a Capital One Card:)

what is really better..bluetooth or thru the analog cord jack thingy? also on my 6yo Asus tablet it doesn't seem to throttle the quality where it does from my S7.  I use bluetooth.

Edited by carguy79ta

Apple for us on the family plan.  The only artist I can recall searching for and coming up empty was Prince, so I like heir library size.  We also have other friends that use it and sharing playlists is easy.  

We use it quite a bit and downloading for offline play is also very easy.  

4 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

what is really better..bluetooth or thru the analog cord jack thingy? also on my 6yo Asus tablet it does seem to throttle the quality where it does from my S7.  I use bluetooth.

Either through USB if possible or Bluetooth. Aux sucks.

7 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

what is really better..bluetooth or thru the analog cord jack thingy? also on my 6yo Asus tablet it does seem to throttle the quality where it does from my S7.  I use bluetooth.

I also plug my usb into. Deck. And then through everything else🙃the difference is noticeable. Then again, my wife and I both notice the difference, usb connected or Bluetooth, in my 2014 ram 3500 and her new 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Us. Sounds so much better!😎

17 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

nice thread. I will stick with spotify.  SQ matters as @shawndoggy says. 

Just be sure to set your sound quality to the highest setting when downloading playlists.  The audiophiles on here know whats up... but I may be biased since I too, am an audiophile.  What drives me crazy is some of my friends "can't hear the difference" between a good quality track and the MP3's they convert from Youtube videos... my god.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, BadgerBoater55 said:

Just be sure to set your sound quality to the highest setting when downloading playlists.  The audiophiles on here know whats up... but I may be biased since I too, am an audiophile.  What drives me crazy is some of my friends "can't hear the difference" between a good quality track and the MP3's they convert from Youtube videos... my god.

no crappin kidding.  I down load all my songs at the highest setting.  I let my son's buddy play off of his phone one time..mp3 quality. had to shut him down. awful.

spotify paid here.  it has the best availability of everything i listen to, and i like the fact that i can build playlists, save albums, etc and set them to use offline in case i'm in a spot with no service.  no issues with spotify at all.